Sporting CP vs Tottenham Hotspur. UEFA Champions League. Tuesday 13th September 2022 @17:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could have done better, well sometimes we need a little luck to survive.

Great to see Edward torturing us.
Crying for a managers that gives the freedom to our players to express themselves

Could have done better, well sometimes we need a little luck to survive.

Great to see Edward torturing us.
Crying for a managers that gives the freedom to our players to express themselves
That last comment.. not sure about that. we're not overloading with creativity, that much is plain to see.

Chemistry only works when players are on the same page and you need some structure or lots of individual brilliance to achieve that. If they can't string together passes (they couldn't last night) then making everyone less predictable isn't going to help at all.

Such a simplistic view.

It's that classic English attitude of 'every foreign team is rubbish and we should be rolling over them'.

They lost to the mighty Chaves but also put three past Eintract Frankfurt away last week.
And there have only been 6 games played in the Portuguese league.

Poor team management, tactical decision making and a total lack of attack minded creative midfielders who can control the middle of the park, take the game by the scruff of the neck and formulate attacking moves. If we had prime Dembele, Eriksen and Walker this would make us a much more cohesive unit. We need players who play in a similar style.

Instead we have PEH getting it in the neck from some fans for getting too much of the ball, well the reason he is, is because we don't have any of the above type of players to take the ball from him and aggressively advance forward! Spence looks like that sort of player, don't even get me started on Royale, and Bissouma looks like a decent CAM. Conte needs to make some big changes over the coming weeks!

Bissouma isn't a CAM ffs!

Besides, as was the case all summer; bleating about attacking MFs is futile unless Conte wants to play another system/formation.

For me we didn't play that bad last night. We created chances, we dominated most of the game but the trouble is when you concede 2 goals in the space of about 30 seconds it flatters the other team and makes them look like they battered us which causes the mass criticism.

A draw would have been a fair result and unfortunately we let it slip which isn't good enough so we lost, move on and beat Leicester on Saturday and all of a sudden its a different outlook.

Did we? I don't remember this. I remember us being sterile & boring* (as per usual this season) but unlike other games we didn't score from our one half chance or a set piece. From open play we created so, so little.

2-0 might have been flattering but Sporting deserved to win that game. We were poor.

(I checked the underlying stats and I was right.)

Club mentality in question, coming from the top.

Best stadium in the world.
Incredible training facilities
One of the best managers in the world.
Biggest club shop in the world.
Only Retractable NFL pitch in the UK - showing we have the capacity and will to adapt when need be.

A chairman who wants to win trophies now and has built the above with a vision most mortal men don’t understand and cannot comprehend.
An owner who has invested money into the club this year.

I think if the mentality of the current playing staff doesn’t match all that then questions should be asked of that area.
What else do they need??

The last person I am blaming for a 2-0 loss to sporting Lisbon is Daniel levy though, we are ahead of where we were 20/15/10/5 years ago.
We could be top of the league this weekend……… not too shabby is it.

Only Retractable NFL pitch in the UK - showing we have the capacity and will to adapt when need be.

A chairman who wants to win trophies now and has built the above with a vision most mortal men don’t understand and cannot comprehend.

I think if the mentality of the current playing staff doesn’t match all that then questions should be asked of that area.
What else do they need??

The last person I am blaming for a 2-0 loss to sporting Lisbon is Daniel levy though, we are ahead of where we were 20/15/10/5 years ago.

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

What else do they need??

List of trophies?

Woke up today expecting to feel better about yesterday's performance.
I don't. We were so, so poor yesterday. We've been toying with results like this for a while now and it caught us.
I'm in the camp that I'm ready to shake this off and hope it's a wake up call. However, we need to straighten this out and quickly. Leicester is a great opportunity for that to happen.

I don't see how their style of play implies they're being overloaded with tactics as there doesn't seem to be really any exciting movement, cute passing sequences or anything really that particularly surprises or unsettles the opposition. I think one can assume if a team is predictable like we are there's a lack of variety in the tactics!
The point was that if they are overloaded with tactics they might not know know if they are supposed to be playing through the left/right, countering or pressing high up the pitch, etc. If people don't know what they are meant to to do generally they'll be quite static and look for a clue from someone else. If everyone does that, we end up with Spurs.

I must say I’m worried about Bissouma. He’s good enough and should be getting much more game time.

I know the West Ham game wasn’t great, I think he was incredibly focused on being safe

Can't help feeling if we had kicked off with a much changed side including Spence, Bissouma, Gil, Kulu, Lenglet we would have done better last night. Son, Hojberg, Royal, Davis and even Kane were rubbish last night. I don't like Conte's reluctance to change the team around. Why buy more playing staff then not give them a chance? And if we are being totally dominated in midfield by any team then get more bodies in there! We need to be knocking the ball around in the middle of the pitch, not in our own penalty area!
I would have changed 5 players yesterday SON, Hojberg, Emerson, Perisic, Davies for Kulu, Bassouma, Spence or Doch, Lenglet and Sess. No point in having a larger squad and not changing it up when it needs it

We lack enough players who can pass and control the ball.
I've thought this for a very, very long time now.
Lloris, Dier, Davies, PEH have been fluffing easy stuff up for years.
I don't think Bentancur is much better. Royal is as bad as those. Sessegnon when he plays is pretty average at both passing and ball control.
Son in his current mood is dreadful. Kane seems to be able to pass but at the moment is getting tackled the moment he get's the ball.

With all of this, I can't see us dictating a game against anyone that fancies a game.

My take on it is that we are seeing players who are scared.

They have been told what to do and god help em if they stray off the plan. Especially if doing so results in a turnover etc.

I noticed the same at some points with Jose. Unsurprisingly this limits the flair in the team leading to us being so predictable its unbelievable. Couple to this a system which pretty much builds in the predictability and you get performances like the ones we have been watching.

We all know what we have been watching and it aint pretty. The results have gone with us and we thought, "hmmm well maybe I have it wrong?"

But we didn't have it wrong, what we have been watching is dogshit and we all know it. Our results have flattered us and that team is nowhere good enough to win anything (or finish in the fabled top 4 in my opinion). Lets hope Conte can see it - he seems stubborn as fuck - but come on Antonio we all want the same thing, this aint it. Never will be.

Royal will never be the answer.
Son needs a rest.
A midfield two only works if your WB's are both on fire - ours aren't.
Change can be a good thing.

Even if we could somehow fluke results for the entire season and finish say 3rd - if the football is like this i'm not interested. It's a dead end from which no good will come.

I firmly believe we have the right ingredients to be a very good side indeed. Get cooking Antonio - get cooking!

:levyeyes:

It’s not his fault we don’t score goals or let them in. Whose job is that??
Let’s check the goalscorers in the CL this year…..

:sonhmm::kaneshh:……………..

:hugoshock:
Agree, Levy has given us a world class training facilities, world class stadium, world class manager, world class DOF, all the coaches they can ever want, wages that are certainly in line with our average finish position in the last few years. I don't know what else he's supposed to at this point. Give team talks before games? Strap his boots on?

Levy doesn't have a spotless record but surely the players need to take some ownership and responsibility when they play like shit. Not everything is Levy's fault.

Back
Top Bottom