Sporting CP vs Tottenham Hotspur. UEFA Champions League. Tuesday 13th September 2022 @17:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Strange how some bury their head and can't see that we were poor and have been so far this season but getting away with it until today.
The tactics are dreadful sit deep pass it around and hope that the front three can hold the ball up which they can't then the pressure builds again.
This team is unbalanced and under performing with the midfield constantly by passed too easily in every game, with a manager earning one of the biggest salary's in the league who can't resolve it.
This is just like watching Jose and Nuno ball all over again boring and uninspiring and so predictable.
Agree with all this but will add the most troubling thing for me the players really don't seem bothered. There's no energy, no enthusiasm, no drive. We usually seem better in the second half most games but still mediocre by most standards.

I don't know whether it is that they are overtrained and therefore tired, they don't want to play for the manager, or there is some kind of malaise over the club, but nothing's changing.

After that sloppy mess of a match last night- Conti must realise that:
Emerson isn't good enough and needs dropping
Son is in desperate need of a rest
Conti use of substitutes needs to be better, there were players dead on there feet out there.
There also needs to be a plan B
Players on yellows as well. Look at royal couldn’t make a challenge. Build up to first goal bent just turns his back to shit. PEH couldn’t tackle. All the while we had hungry skipp on the bench and Biss plus spence/Doh. Surely they would have been better than any of those 3 in the last 15 mins. I really do not get it when he says we needed to be better in last 10 mins. Couldn’t he ducking see we had tired players on yellows that he needed to change it. What did he expect? It was his fault we were crap !

Such a simplistic view.

It's that classic English attitude of 'every foreign team is rubbish and we should be rolling over them'.

They lost to the mighty Chaves but also put three past Eintract Frankfurt away last week.
Not really. I was simply making the point that if you are 7th place in the Portuguese league then you aren’t that good and that we should be beating them. When they come up against a decent side in this competition they will capitulate. We were terrible and make anybody look good at the moment

Last edited:
Agree with all this but will add the most troubling thing for me the players really don't seem bothered. There's no energy, no enthusiasm, no drive. We usually seem better in the second half most games but still mediocre by most standards.

I don't know whether it is that they are overtrained and therefore tired, they don't want to play for the manager, or there is some kind of malaise over the club, but nothing's changing.
It’s probably the tactics. Can Kane really be happy playing in a system that created f all for him. Sure he needs to do a lot more. But his constantly going deep as there is f all creativity behind him or on the wings.

I worry a little that Conte is the stubborn type and the louder the calls for them to be dropped rotated the more insistent he will be to play them until we put in a decent performance and then he can feel vindicated (incorrectly).

There is absolutely no logical reason why Emerson has started every single game when there are 2 alternatives within the squad, with the amount of games in the schedule it wouldn't even be a contentious decision that required explanation. He's benched Kulusevski for a sustained period now ffs but won't rotate Emerson for one damn game???

The biggest puzzling thing for me is he's happily rotated Sessegnon and Perisic. But we have hardly seen a minute of a game without Royal at RB.

100% this.

We had so many good opportunities but our final ball simply was not good enough.

We didn't play badly, but we could have put this game to bed early if we didn't have (at least) 2 utter duds on the pitch for the vast majority of the match.
Son is a dead weight and none of his biggest fanboi's have a leg to stand on anymore. Royal works hard but produces very little.
I would argue that yesterday, the same applied to both CM's too.

What grinds my gears is we now have an abundance of players who can come in and perform better, or even just different.
Most telling is they made 4 changes, we made 1. And that 1 would a significant upgrade as soon as he came on.

I'd play Spence, see what he can do otherwise like Gil and probably Sarr we'll never bloody know. But Conte seems to be using Spence to make a childish point which is really poor so more likely to be Doc if he changes things.
Agree he keeps bleating about how the club bought him. Be interesting to see if royal is benched and he plays Doh will spence be on the bench or royal. Remember less subs on the bench for EPL games. That would be a telling sign. I hope science plays with Doh on bench and royal dumped somewhere we even the Sweeney couldn’t find him😀

The morning after the night before……. I am not going to dwell on the performance and result.
Lisbon is an amazing city which my wife and I have really enjoyed exploring. The atmosphere pre game in Rossio Square was fantastic, the journey to the game was stress free and it’s another stadium to add to our list. But by far the best thing was meeting up with our fellow forum members deadlyledley (and his mate) and MrsP- being able to share the experience with such warm, genuine, lovely people (who share our passion and dedication for our wonderful club) was absolutely wonderful.Victories and defeats come and go and there will be plenty more of both but it is the fans who are the fabric and heartbeat of the club and both deadlyledley and MrsP are shining examples of the very best of us.
Roll on Leicester…. COYS!!!!!
im not crying youre crying GIF

Don't know what's going on with the team at the moment.

Finished last season strongly, brought in several new players, some of whom just don't play. They were also put through a gruelling summer to get them super fit, but they seem mentally and physically spent.

Our front three were awesome last season, and you'd expect that bringing in the new faces would complement them and enable them to become even better, but even they seem well off the pace at the moment.

Thank God the City game was postponed ... let's just get past Leicester, and hopefully come back from the international break refreshed and in a better frame of mind.

Gotta be honest though, I wouldn't put it past us to fuck up the Leicester match the way we're playing right now.

I should be in a better mood than this being one point off the top of the table!! How do we manage to do this season after season ... it's always something!!!

Can't help feeling if we had kicked off with a much changed side including Spence, Bissouma, Gil, Kulu, Lenglet we would have done better last night. Son, Hojberg, Royal, Davis and even Kane were rubbish last night. I don't like Conte's reluctance to change the team around. Why buy more playing staff then not give them a chance? And if we are being totally dominated in midfield by any team then get more bodies in there! We need to be knocking the ball around in the middle of the pitch, not in our own penalty area!

Don't know what's going on with the team at the moment.

Finished last season strongly, brought in several new players, some of whom just don't play. They were also put through a gruelling summer to get them super fit, but they seem mentally and physically spent.

Our front three were awesome last season, and you'd expect that bringing in the new faces would complement them and enable them to become even better, but even they seem well off the pace at the moment.

Thank God the City game was postponed ... let's just get past Leicester, and hopefully come back from the international break refreshed and in a better frame of mind.

Gotta be honest though, I wouldn't put it past us to fuck up the Leicester match the way we're playing right now.

I should be in a better mood than this being one point off the top of the table!! How do we manage to do this season after season ... it's always something!!!
Poor team management, tactical decision making and a total lack of attack minded creative midfielders who can control the middle of the park, take the game by the scruff of the neck and formulate attacking moves. If we had prime Dembele, Eriksen and Walker this would make us a much more cohesive unit. We need players who play in a similar style.

Instead we have PEH getting it in the neck from some fans for getting too much of the ball, well the reason he is, is because we don't have any of the above type of players to take the ball from him and aggressively advance forward! Spence looks like that sort of player, don't even get me started on Royale, and Bissouma looks like a decent CAM. Conte needs to make some big changes over the coming weeks!

This. I do thing they are being overtrained. At leas when Poch did it we ran a lot in games and expended energy, we just seem to sit on the ball.

They may be overloaded mentally with tactics so people just don't know what they are supposed to be doing, so no one makes runs they are supposed to.

I was thinking yesterday that there is no way we’d be giving away the ball so much if Dembele was still with us.
Very true. The ball would just be stuck in the middle of the park for the majority of the game. Dembele would tackle their advancing players, hold the ball up well, pass to PEH or our front 3 who would get dispossessed, the opposition would advance with the ball and then rinse and repeat lol.

This. I do thing they are being overtrained. At leas when Poch did it we ran a lot in games and expended energy, we just seem to sit on the ball.

They may be overloaded mentally with tactics so people just don't know what they are supposed to be doing, so no one makes runs they are supposed to.
I don't see how their style of play implies they're being overloaded with tactics as there doesn't seem to be really any exciting movement, cute passing sequences or anything really that particularly surprises or unsettles the opposition. I think one can assume if a team is predictable like we are there's a lack of variety in the tactics!

Back
Top Bottom