So it turns out Poch was right

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Back in the bin you go, fucknut

bd6a3b1bc4c6af9f305f2a8ce3840b24.gif

I don't see why it has to be an either-or situation. I think Pochettino is a decent manager who helped his players improve and play together well, but his poor track record purchasing players shows that he is not much of a builder. I think he would do pretty well at a club like city or PSG, where he would have a nice core in place and backing to buy the best players. I think he would even do well at Everton, where he would have plenty of backing and much lower expectations.

At the same time, he was really hampered by Levy. The budget was always tight, and the transfers always came a season or two too late. I think all of this affected team morale in ways that Pochettino couldn't really control. Many players were either unsatisfied with their contracts, unimpressed by the club's ambition, or aged out of their prime. It's really hard to keep players motivated when the best they can realistically hope for is a top 4 finish. This eventually did Wenger in too.

If the club had been able to bring in players like Lo Celso and NDombele a year or so earlier, as well as a top CB and right back, I think Pochettino could've kept the squad focused and motivated for a few more years. As soon as players like Toby and Eriksen started wanting out, they should've either been given the contracts they wanted, or sold to the highest bidder at the next window. We probably still wouldn't have won the league since Klopp, Pep, and their squads are so far ahead of Pochettino and his, but we would've had more seasons like 2017 where the players felt like they were truly competing.

I’m stunned by some on here who think Jose should have magically made Verts 27 again or Toby 25, even Rose should be turning 23 by now, I mean what’s Jose doing for fuck sake letting these player have another birthday🤷‍♂️....

Anyone still mourning Pochettino seriously runs the risk of turning into an AFTV regular.
We all loved us some Poch at one time or another, and there is no question that 2016 through 2018 were a real joy of consistency on what was a a very up and down last 30 years, but that’s all it was, consistency. We had a group of players who all bonded and produced their peak football during those years, and Pochettino simply rode that horse until it dropped dead....

No matter how much or how little money he had to spend he still was pretty active in the transfer market throughout his tenure.
Barring Son, Pochettino’s one and only shining light, as Dale Alli was scouted pre Poch, and obviously Toby who he worked with at the Saints, no signing has made that much difference or impact, they have either had injury problems, trouble settling or have just been completely shit, plain and simple!!

AVB lived off Bale, and Pochettino had his Bale in Harry Kane, imagine a Spurs with no Kane during Poch’s early seasons?
Coupled together it all worked for those glorious seasons. But his downfall was his inability to buy players, weather it was 10m or 100m he had a poor success rate when spotting talent within our budget (remember, a guy who “supposedly” developed players and didn’t depend on buying success.)

Another false hype that followed Pochettino was “youth”, back in the early seasons we had the youngest team in the league hammering home top 4 football, it slowly developed into one of the oldest, so where has this magic youth messiah been the past 3 years? Again, a false praise placed upon the man, he’s actually banished more youth never to be seen again from the club than he’s actually developed, which of course during his time has been a grand total of NONE🤷‍♂️...unless we class Winks as a major breakthrough🤔

Get behind Jose, let’s see how he does in the transfer windows coming up and judge him then, don’t judge him after 2 months with the squad of chaos he inherited......

WOW.

Levy is that you?

incredibly biased and selective.

Normally it would be ridiculous to judge a manager in such short time, and I still agree with you on him getting a couple of windows (not that it will do hI’m any good when we refuse to spend) HOWEVER Mourinho told us we were ready to go with an amazing squad, so he’s made a rod for his own back there.

So he’s the impact short term winner manager with an amazing squad and we’re absolutely awful, so by his own judgement is doing a shit job, that’s why people find it worrying.

You wouldn’t pick Jose as your project manager would you? So given it is now being more widely accepted by the Poch blamers that this is a squad problem, you can understand people wondering whether we’ve made a good appointment.

When i look at how far we have regressed, how far off the pace we are, and how many problems we have, it leaves me depressed, bewildered, angry. This is the new normal, same as the old normal. Being good was nice while it lasted.

Lads you know that thing you do when the opposition has the ball? When we have the ball makesure we dont do it (movement)

We could take a quick throw in? No thanks ill let our fullback trudge up here slow as fuck to let the other team reset because its his role to throw the fucking ball

Forget the defensive mistakes we make, why is their zero attacking movement from any player other than Lamela unless we go behind?

The year is 2084 the great forum TFC continues to insist that Poch would have won a cup if he had a few billion more to spend.

Listen Poch would be a great Coach motivating the players getting them to run on hot coals all that.

But when it comes to tactics his IQ dropped to room temperature levels.

Poch has left a squad that is mentally and physically shattered. Over trained, over worked, there is nothing left in the tank
Also mentally weak when it mattered except for the city & Ajax games where we dug in but had enormous slice of luck.

Mind made up after less than 15 games? Yesterday's man who has won trophies at every club he has managed at.
Remember this forum had him as a dinosaur at Man Ure.

His obvious refusal to play certain players and dedication to constantly playing players who aren't a patch on 2016-2018 form tells me all I need to know.

I don't think Jose has once started his strongest team in all those games.

Remember this forum had him as a dinosaur at Man Ure.

His obvious refusal to play certain players and dedication to constantly playing players who aren't a patch on 2016-2018 form tells me all I need to know.

I don't think Jose has once started his strongest team in all those games.
Yet he was their most successful manager since Ferguson. Says more about the collective of this forum than the ability of 'yesterdays man'..

Yet he was their most successful manager since Ferguson. Says more about the collective of this forum than the ability of 'yesterdays man'..
Did you see the squad he won the Community Shield, League Cup amd UEFA cup with?? Bloody Hell, very least you'd expect.

We can debate all we want about who's to blame for the state we're in now (we might get more clarity as time passes), but being stuck in the past and crying over someone who's no longer our coach is clearly not the thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom