So it turns out Poch was right

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He foreseen this mess we’re in when he said that we need to rebuild, the owners didn’t back our best manager in years and we ended up with cheap and shit rejects from other clubs. Imagine having to rely on the likes of Sissoko or Dier as your midfield pivot. We’re years of investment behind Liverpool and even fucking Leicester got ahead of us. Our team is painfully average. Some are below average. Just sell the fucking cunts if the offer comes in.

Last edited:
The best poker player in the world can only play and win with good cards.
You can only bluff so many times or swap out your cards in different sequences but if the other players cheat their way by buying better cards than you, with pots of money you cant match, then you are always stuck with the fact that your cards cant beat theirs.
Yet there are posters on here that insist in pushing their flawed agendas citing Poch as being poor and having let the club down without ever recognising the huge achievement he accomplished without ever being able to sit at the same table as the serial winners.
Look at who won all the trophies in the last 10 years, only one team really stands out.
Money talks, and he never really got to buy or shop at the right level .
You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear - even if you let your pig live in a palace.

Off course he was right.

He may not entirely have been the sollution, but he certainly wasn't the problem either.

Oh, and Poch haters:

It's not about the rest of us missing him. It is about Spurs needing more, many more and very expensive players. And we just fucked off tens of millions on first paying out Poch, then paying up Jose. Money we could have used on players, now seeing Poch was in fact not the problem after all...

Poch was right, just like Levy was right to sack him. This group isn't good enough, but Poch's blind trust into his players are what's cost him the job at the end.

One thing is for sure, trophies or not - Poch was a miracle man for achieving what he did on a 50p transfer budget over the last 2 years prior to this summer. I'm sure even half the player he signed were not his preferred target but some bargain bin Levy specials like the shit0cunts Njie, Nkoudou, Stambouli, etc.

Much like with Redknapp when he got us 4th in 2010 we failed to invest in the team the following few windows and the rest was history

Last edited:
I’m stunned by some on here who think Jose should have magically made Verts 27 again or Toby 25, even Rose should be turning 23 by now, I mean what’s Jose doing for fuck sake letting these player have another birthday🤷‍♂️....

Anyone still mourning Pochettino seriously runs the risk of turning into an AFTV regular.
We all loved us some Poch at one time or another, and there is no question that 2016 through 2018 were a real joy of consistency on what was a a very up and down last 30 years, but that’s all it was, consistency. We had a group of players who all bonded and produced their peak football during those years, and Pochettino simply rode that horse until it dropped dead....

No matter how much or how little money he had to spend he still was pretty active in the transfer market throughout his tenure.
Barring Son, Pochettino’s one and only shining light, as Dale Alli was scouted pre Poch, and obviously Toby who he worked with at the Saints, no signing has made that much difference or impact, they have either had injury problems, trouble settling or have just been completely shit, plain and simple!!

AVB lived off Bale, and Pochettino had his Bale in Harry Kane, imagine a Spurs with no Kane during Poch’s early seasons?
Coupled together it all worked for those glorious seasons. But his downfall was his inability to buy players, weather it was 10m or 100m he had a poor success rate when spotting talent within our budget (remember, a guy who “supposedly” developed players and didn’t depend on buying success.)

Another false hype that followed Pochettino was “youth”, back in the early seasons we had the youngest team in the league hammering home top 4 football, it slowly developed into one of the oldest, so where has this magic youth messiah been the past 3 years? Again, a false praise placed upon the man, he’s actually banished more youth never to be seen again from the club than he’s actually developed, which of course during his time has been a grand total of NONE🤷‍♂️...unless we class Winks as a major breakthrough🤔

Get behind Jose, let’s see how he does in the transfer windows coming up and judge him then, don’t judge him after 2 months with the squad of chaos he inherited......

Please show us where Enic are making a profit John, come on, the accounts are available year on end, where do Enic take money? ... i keep asking you this question and you never answer .... wonder why?
ENIC are an investment company, they grow their assets, not yearly profits. Their payback comes when the asset is sold - or am I missing something ?

This also he was the one who built this squad, and was the one who flunked finals and couldn't get players up for big games.

Squads a mess but let's not pretend Poch isn't responsible for this also.

We are in for a painful couple years and Levy needs to stop being a stingy cunt or he's gonna find himself with a very nice and large empty stadium
Okay so

Poch gets this team into finals with no budget ahead of teams that have pumped in cash.

When we lose it's his fault for not having us punch above our weight enough. Right.

Poch didn't have the players! Fact. And it's still a fact even if you don't like the empty trophy cabinet jokes.

He prioritised the league and CL. I don't know how many times Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 has explained that regular top 4 finishes result in more trophies eventually.

4 CL campaigns and a CL final on a limited budget is very very impressive, would you instead rather we come 5-6th every season and win a League Cup.

Nobody is winning a title with our budget, Leicester was a freak 1/1000.

We had a great squad and a couple of very good years but we should have won something
That’s all I’m saying

I get that some of us didn’t want José but the stick he’s getting now after such a short time is ridiculous

Tired of this now, For all the good Poch did at the club a few people need to take those misty rose tinted glasses off and inspect what Poch got wrong.

Firstly I want to remind people that Poch won nothing, nada, zero, the square root of fuck all, zilch, sweet FA.
For a lot of us, and call us greedy cunts if you like, that's kind of a big deal.
Even Ramos had a trophy!
Yet he is still worshipped as if we had a brief visitation from Jesus Christ (Substitute for your own faith or lack of this is a non discriminatory rant)

Poch bought the terminally injured Ndombele didn't he?
Poch thought Sessignon could cut it at a top 4 premier league club when its clear to anybody that knows the game that he is nowhere near the required level.
Lets remind ourselves Poch Also bought Janssen, Aurier, Njie, Stambouli, Nkodou, Yedlin, Lopez, and Wimmer.

Then there were those finals and semi-finals where every Poch team collapsed like a flan in a cupboard. We quietly rolled over, shit our pants and left with the silver trophy.

Then there was the utter shit show that was 2019, most of it under his stewardship.

For me watching it last night it was clear that the players have downed tools, some of them are just flat out past their best, the signings have been a disaster, I don't care how good some people think Ndombele is/could be, if he is terminally injured he is no use to anyone.
You can see the players have been drifting in a comfort zone for months if not years.

Mourinho isn't going to fix this with some electric tape in a handful of games, this is a massive rebuild around maybe 5-6 who are still good enough.

But continuing with this Poch argument is achieving nothing.

Yet another thread filled with the same wankers trying to blame a defeat on one person or thing. Why are some people incapable of understanding that anything that happens to us, good or bad isn’t due to just the manager or just the board?

The “we’ve had no investment” crew are reminding me of a story I was told years ago about a father and son bull at the top of a hill, looking down at a field of cows.

“Hey dad, let’s run down and fuck one of those cows” said the son. “No son, let’s walk down and fuck them all” the father replied.

We could have spent some money in the bare windows and maybe finished second instead of first in the league. W may have won a cup in the last few years too. But by spending the money on infrastructure instead, we have a foundation for years of winning. Walking rather than running but we’ll fuck a lot more by taking our time.

The problem with that argument pipes is that we have been patient for 20 years now and see numerous managers fail under these owners, we keep repeating the same cycle over and over and the issue is ALWAYS the same, ALWAYS, lack of investment for the manager when they require it.

I mean, you talk about taking our time, what's your idea of a reasonable time scale? 5 more years? 10 more years? Another 20?

Levy has shown in his recent interview that ENIC have no intention of going for trophies, you keep ignoring what he said in that interview, he made it pretty clear for anybody listening that trophies are not a priority and that he dislikes the spending happening in the market (unless of course him and his employers are on the receiving end of said market.)

You say not one single person is to blame, I agree, numerous factors have happened over the years that have contributed to our failures but you know who never ever seems to fall on the sword? The owners!

Nobody dares criticise them or dares think about a time when someone else could be in charge because they are afraid we will freefall, that's the issue here, people lack the spine to speak up, instead they would rather be fucked over and over and are happy that "at least we aren't West Ham" or "it's better than we used to be."

We question why this club is known for being weak and lacking a spine, well it's pretty difficult to be taken seriously even when our supporters are happy to celebrate ENIC's austerity football that lacks any sort of ambition to win silverware.

We get what we deserve.

This is the consequence of years of under-investment in the transfer windows and the myopic naive idea that older players will stay on the same level.

Poch, Mourinho, Pep, whoever - result won’t be much different

You can’t polish a turd

ENIC is the common denominator in all these failures

Last edited:
Then fucking add Foyth to the list. What difference does that make?

Poch was HORRENDOUS at rebuilding a squad he for the most part inherited.

He turned our sub players into starting players and watched our squad get weaker through his wank investment and was actually happy with it.

Go look at our bench from 16/17 and most of them are now our starting players. THAT'S the problem.
Pretty remarkable how such a wank manager achieved 4 successive Champions League finishes, ahead of schedule, on a budget dwarfed by the clubs we were displacing..
Yeah, what a horrendous squad builder he must have been. Shocking.

If we ever get another manager as good as Poch in my lifetime I’ll be grateful.

We have never been a top PL team until he arrived. We’re on the map in Europe properly after being an irrelevance for decades.

But him and the players have been let down by years of over reliance and inadequate backup.

Harry has not had competition since Vinny - and he was shit. We had a cracking side as we left WHL but it was not supported through the Wembley years and they’re just broken and exhausted now.

Teams in all walks of life need a proper refresh and new resources to experiment, evolve and improve.

Sadly, Levy is not an astute leader of people. He may be a good businessman but he’s a crap footballing chairman.

Mourinho has an impossible job and he will fail for trophies and even Top 6 if the club doesn’t change too.

So it turns out Poch was right?
About what exactly? This?

“I am very happy, like I told you before I was happy with my squad and now to add some more players,” the Spurs manager said.
You are always thinking that players can bring good energy and help us achieve all that we want.
We will see what happens, but I am so happy with the way the squad. I was happy before, I am happy plus. I am a happy man.
“I think we have made signings for the future. And the players will have opportunities to play.”

Or this?

"We are happy with our squad and we cannot improve our squad. It is better to keep our squad all together, we believe a lot in our players.”

Or this?

"I am so happy with the squad and we're in a position where everything is possible," the Spurs boss told his pre-match press conference on Monday.

Or this?

“It was difficult to achieve the player we needed,” Pochettino said. “That was impossible. I was happy and am happy with the squad that I have, 25 players.

“We have no regrets, we are happy. When we started the season with three games that we won and we were up at the top of the table people were talking in a different way, ‘Oh how clever are Tottenham because they keep all the squad from last season’.

Or this?

“No, I don’t believe [there will be changes in January],” Pochettino said. “I believe in the players we have. If it is my decision, I am going to stick with the players because I know they have the quality. It’s only to unlock some situation that is going on in their minds.
“I never was keen on January and I will not change now because it is a tough period. The most important is to stay together. Some circumstances can arise in December and January and you need to take some decisions but we are not going to force nothing. We decided the squad was decent and now we have to be strong that our decision was right. We cannot change quickly because we are suffering a storm.”

People hero worshipping someone with less awareness of what they say than Harry Redknapp and Prince Phillip combined.
You can pick out all the stuff you agree with and there will always be a polar opposite view from the guy probably within weeks.

Absolute shambles that people can say “Poch was right”.
He said everything.....he’s right to everyone about something.

Back
Top Bottom