Race for the title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't believe that sammy "I have no intention of turning up this season"spurs still has the audacity to lecture people paying their hard earned on the best venue. The guy hasn't even been to Stadium MK.

"Milton Keynes would have been great because all you guys would have been drumming up the crowd while I sit on my sofa three thousand miles away". Tool.

Even travelling to Wembley is feeling tiring, I can't imagine how shit it would be if we were at Milton Keynes.

Seems to me like Poch knew Wembley would be tough though, we seem like we've altered our tactics to mean we will win more away than before to compensate.

Even travelling to Wembley is feeling tiring, I can't imagine how shit it would be if we were at Milton Keynes.

Seems to me like Poch knew Wembley would be tough though, we seem like we've altered our tactics to mean we will win more away than before to compensate.

If people looked forward to going to Wembley, for the thrilling football and atmosphere though, would they be bored of the journey? I doubt it....

There is no guarantee that MK would be better, but the amount of people that think Wembley is garbage is telling.

Salmon seems to think TFC is the only place to gauge an opinion of Spurs...maybe thats because he started following the club in his early 20's and has no childhood roots so goes to games on his own and doesnt really have an early history of a circle of Spurs fans around him.

I know 5 people who go every week, and before I moved away, I went with with them from the age of 12 up to 24.
I value their opinions on Wembley and MK, and agree with them, based on my own experiences as a fan.

If people think MK would be shit, then fine. But one things for sure, we have no evidence for that, where as we have plenty for Wembley being shit.

We're starting to get more used to grinding out results at Wembley as well. We have to be realistic that we won't be able to play the way we want every game. Some games we can play that free flowing, fun way we usually do. And some we just need to grind the opposition defense down and get a 1-0 win.

If people looked forward to going to Wembley, for the thrilling football and atmosphere though, would they be bored of the journey? I doubt it....

Yes. It's just far more difficult to get to and to get away from. Performances / results will never change that.

I was spoilt with WHL, I could be there / back in 20-30 mins of KO / the final whistle.....it's takes 45 mins to get onto the tube at Wembley.

We are a few points off top without playing that well so far. We are capable of being so much better. We’ve been the best team over the past two years.

Of course we are in the title race. And it’s not too early to say it.

In fact, here’s a thought. We are in next seasons title race too.

Don't forget the other 18 teams, Ahab, I don't think they'd give it to us for just beating City home and away. :pochlol:
City are sailing four sheets to the wind. We need to take the wind from their sails like how we've done
the last two seasons. Sink them, demast them, scuttle them.

City won’t be able to demolish everyone 5-0 every week for the next 30 games. Like last year, people will become wise on how to stop them (after we stopped them) and they will stumble. We have been the most consistent team over the last 3 seasons and have shown that we can finish strong. We are 2 results behind them despite playing most of the season with a large chunk of what we would consider our first XI out of action. We will get stronger as they come back and the season goes on as we build to our peak. City are as strong as they can be (despite Aguero and Mendy out which doesn’t effect their style as much as our absentees.) and at their peak already. Unsustainable. Only one way it can from there. Not saying we will definitely win it, but to listen to the media, they are engraving the trophy and preparing the ribbons already. Blue and white ribbons will end up on the trophy, let’s just hope they are the right shade of blue.

I think we're likely to finish second again because we are handicapped by Wembley. But, I do think we will be in the race so let's so what happens. We haven't had an amazing start and yet we are barely behind sitting in third at the moment. Both City and Utd have weaknesses and will drop points. The thing that excites me is that we have some very good players to come back from injury that will surely improve us. I mean we're where we are with Demeble, Rose, Lamela, and Wanyama out and all are regular first team players. We always do well over the Christmas period too, and our rivals tend to fuck up at that point.

I look at it this way, we are a third of the way to 12 wins on the road, if we can manage 12 wins at home and 12 away we aren't far off last season when you bear in mind we don't lose much. Whether it will be enough, I'm not sure this time. City will come undone at some point, they are beatable, everyone is. Whether we'll have enough points on the board to capitalise, I'm not so sure.

Fair enough but personally I reckon MK would have taken on a cult atmosphere like Fulham.
Also think the players would have played more like at WHL as it actually looks very similar, and not a red seat in sight.

The waiting list issue could have been resolved another way. There was absolutely no reason to force people to sign up for Wembley in order to but one at the new WHL. Should have simply prioritized loyalty and made the rest first come first served.

I get that financially it suits the chairman, but far from propelling us into the world stage, teams are just coming there and taking the piss out of our fans. There were chants of "your grounds too big for you" yesterday, from Bournemouth fans ffs!

We can take 80k and all we will get is talk about the 10k empties anyway.
Also I don't buy the talk of STs missing out at MK and it being unfair. People saying the STs are no shows at Wembley.....so...

Not gonna go through it all again, but if Wembley holds us back on the pitch it can't be the right choice. Corporate and financial reasons are not my reasons.
I'm not at all convinced that we would have done better at MK Dons.

The only advantages would be the pitch size and the crowd being closer. And the seat colours.

No guarantee that the atmosphere would have been better. The acoustics may be better there (never been there, missed our 5-1 win a few years back) but it was a very unpopular option among fans for reasons we've already discussed, which in itself would have made the atmosphere worse. If there had been a ST amnesty I can imagine a fair few of our vocal fans choosing not to go, which would have also made the atmosphere worse.

There is a lot true of both Wembley and MK. Opposition fans would have still taken the piss out of us (for different reasons). It's still a different dressing room, pitch, journey etc for the players. Still different sight lines from WHL. It would be more of a journey for them, being in a different city, which I think is a negative. We would have had to make the decision whether or not to stay in a hotel in MK beforehand. If not, there's an energy sapping journey, if so players would be away from wife, kids, home etc. Neither option would have been good.

Opposition players would not raise their game there, in the same way as Wembley, I'll give you that.

From a personal point of view I would not want to justify their existence as a club by sharing their ground with them. I know you can say we did the Delle Alli transfer so there's double standards, but I feel there's a difference between signing a player and ground sharing with a club.

But even putting that aside, I don't think it's guaranteed we would have performed better at MK. Or that if we did, it would have made more than one or two points difference- I think you can agree it would not have been WHL.

Unfortunately we needed to have a year away from Tottenham and there were no perfect options.

Back
Top Bottom