Race for the title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't see City as unbeatable head to head. We've had plenty of success against them going on 3 years now. I understand they beefed up over the summer with individual talent but our boys will always feel like taking points from theirs yet again once they are on the same pitch. There's a familiarity with success against them that counts for something. Get 4 out of 6 against them and who knows. Honestly I think it's consistently grinding out these 1-0 against the bottom half at Wembley that may be the bigger challenge.

The Liverpool thrashing could be pivitol in us making a title challenge. It felt like a home game and home games like things happened in it - two early goals and defenders making mistakes. A victory against Madrid will compound this homeness feeling. We then have a run of seven non top six home games we should hopefully win.

This weekend could be crucial. We need to beat a very beatable Man Utd. We're better than them, all over the pitch, and should take the game to them. And this will put pressure on City who take on West Brom later in the day. This could be just the type of game they struggle in.

Seriously, I don't honestly think we will get top four, let alone win the league. The Wembley hoodoo is to bigger an obstacle for us, and I don't see us picking up many points against the top sides.

Which sky pundit are you? ....Wait; lemme guess...

As per usual the points dropped early will be telling.

Another 1 v Chelsea and 2 against Burnley and Swansea and the league table looks very different. And they were all points dropped IMO.

Can City keep us this pace? Time will tell, but they can afford to drop a few points between now and when we play them in December. If we are close to them at that time then game on.

It always surprises me how often the team top at Xmas wins the league.
But think it's not as often the team top in October is still top at Xmas so there's hope yet.

Another 1 v Chelsea and 2 against Burnley and Swansea and the league table looks very different. And they were all points dropped IMO.
They were absolutely points dropped.
I won't say we should have beaten Swansea even though it's a game you want maximum points from.

But Chelsea we threw away a point and Burnley we threw away two.

Those fine margins become huge by April.....what we need to do is beat the likes of Utd Liverpool and Chelsea away, and not just accept those grounds as places where a point is good.

All predictions are completely pointless, they almost always reflect what you want to happen, there is no objective evaluation and in most cases they turn out to be wrong.

City may well stutter and fold. So might we. Or City might march on unhindered and win the league by a record margin. Or somewhere between. Not a single one of you would have predicted Leicester winning the league in October 2015 and I'd wager that almost all of you were confidently forecasting that they would collapse up until it seemed certain they wouldn't

People writing off United and Chelsea - would you have written us off if we'd lost on Sunday? Can you imagine the howling here and elsewhere at (insert name of most hated pundit cunt here) if they had done so?

Last edited:
All predictions are completely pointless, they almost always reflect what you want to happen, there is no objective evaluation and in most cases they turn out to be wrong.

City may well stutter and fold. So might we. Or City might march on unhindered and win the league by a record margin. Or somewhere between. Not a single one of you would have predicted Leicester winning the league in October 2015 and I'd wager that almost all of you were confidently forecasting that they would collapse up until it seemed certain they wouldn't

People writing off United and Chelsea - would you have written us off if we'd lost on Sunday? Can you imagine the howling here and elsewhere at (insert name of most hated pundit cunt here) if they had done so?

The point is we didnt lose on Sunday, and Utd did. We didnt lose at the Bernabau which actually says something....Chelsea have Europe and injuries and already look poorer than last season because of it.

You point out a multitude of scenarios, but you also have to look at the likelyhood. Id happily wager that City have more chance of winning the title than Watford. Even though Watford could.

I think most people are objective. I dont think one person here expects the title.

What's crazy is the bookies now have City as 1.25 (or 1/4) to win the league. We've played what, 8 games? 9? That's almost the same odds as they were to beat Burnley at home. They think essentially that City just need to do the equivalent of winning an easy home game to seal up the title.

I would put City as maybe evens or just below to win it, they look by far the most likely but you can't rule out us, Chelsea or United.

What's crazy is the bookies now have City as 1.25 (or 1/4) to win the league. We've played what, 8 games? 9? That's almost the same odds as they were to beat Burnley at home. They think essentially that City just need to do the equivalent of winning an easy home game to seal up the title.

I would put City as maybe evens or just below to win it, they look by far the most likely but you can't rule out us, Chelsea or United.

We just need Eric Bristow to put his life savings on them now

Back
Top Bottom