Race for the title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I stupidly listened to 606 for the first time in a long time on Sat. Their excuse for never mentioning spurs in the title race was Wembley. They didn’t explain how Liverpool and Woolwich still get mentioned. If we can’t finish ahead of City, those two jokes of clubs have no chance

Ive stopped caring about pundits and journos. These days most are nothing more than bitter fans of their old clubs, who take no pride in their jobs, and have less ability to google some simple facts than the average person on a chat forum.

Remember last year when Dier would join Utd because we signed Wanyama and he wasnt getting any game time......they all couldnt google a simple Spurs line up and see that he was in defence for the 6 months he was supposedly out of the team?

What will happen if Kane gets injured???? Not ONE outlet mentioned we won every single game in the 11 weeks Kane missed with two separate injuries. No one mentioned that Son, Dele and Eriksen scored 54 goals.
No one mentioned that Son (a sub) scored more than Hazard, Coutinho and just a couple less than Costa and Lukaku.

The weak squad mantra, sucked up by our own fans too........how are we doing without Wanyama and Dembele then? How did we do without Rose? How are we doing without Walker?

Where are all the stats from our last 2 years against City? They are the best team on the planet? Sorry, havent we just finished above them for the last few years and taken 10pts off them in that period? Oh they spent another half billion, how admirable.

Liverpool are apparantley "breathtaking in attack"......Spurs win big. Can they keep Kane.

Fuck em......we can win the PL, but all it will mean is that we cant pay our players enough and they will all leave. And we dont win the PL, they will all leave to win stuff.

Fuck the media

Last edited:
What's crazy is the bookies now have City as 1.25 (or 1/4) to win the league. We've played what, 8 games? 9? That's almost the same odds as they were to beat Burnley at home. They think essentially that City just need to do the equivalent of winning an easy home game to seal up the title.

I would put City as maybe evens or just below to win it, they look by far the most likely but you can't rule out us, Chelsea or United.

We just need Eric Bristow to put his life savings on them now

As Blanchflower said, our destiny is in our own hands. We get a couple of players back from injury soon as well to fatten the squad dept.

How far we go in Europe and the other cups will end up being a factor as well ofc

Sure, but personally, I'd like to see a bit of expectation-management among the fanbase.

As many posters have said here and elsewhere, top 4 this season, with no home ground, would be a major achievement. A CL cup run would be a bonus. Domestic silverware of any sort, mainly just to kill the "haven't won anything" crap, would be phenomenal.

I hope we would celebrate that, and cheer the boys on, rather than moaning that we haven't won the Leagueor we aren't challenging the Arabs. I'm all for aiming high, but the whole ethos of this club now is 'building to greatness' - and we need to support that - every week and all season. Don't get too high and arrogant, don't get too low and critical.

I'm one of the forum old farts. I've supported this club for nearly 50 years and this, believe me, is the best of times. I now travel 6 hours there and back to watch us at Wembley, every game, because now is when this team needs support, in transition. If we give it support now it will stay together.

We need to be the exception to the other 5, every single one of them has lost their way, and by 'we' I mainly mean 'us' - the fans.

Sure, but personally, I'd like to see a bit of expectation-management among the fanbase.

As many posters have said here and elsewhere, top 4 this season, with no home ground, would be a major achievement. A CL cup run would be a bonus. Domestic silverware of any sort, mainly just to kill the "haven't won anything" crap, would be phenomenal.

I hope we would celebrate that, and cheer the boys on, rather than moaning that we haven't won the Leagueor we aren't challenging the Arabs. I'm all for aiming high, but the whole ethos of this club now is 'building to greatness' - and we need to support that - every week and all season. Don't get too high and arrogant, don't get too low and critical.

I'm one of the forum old farts. I've supported this club for nearly 50 years and this, believe me, is the best of times. I now travel 6 hours there and back to watch us at Wembley, every game, because now is when this team needs support, in transition. If we give it support now it will stay together.

We need to be the exception to the other 5, every single one of them has lost their way, and by 'we' I mainly mean 'us' - the fans.

I get that but thinking we can challenge for the title doesnt mean that you expect the title, or will be disappointed with top 4 and/or a cup.

We should be going for the title as a club. This Wembley season will be a massive learning curve, and by taking a gap year and just feeling lucky to be in the top 6, we waste a huge opportunity to mature and grow as a team.

City won’t be able to demolish everyone 5-0 every week for the next 30 games. Like last year, people will become wise on how to stop them (after we stopped them) and they will stumble. We have been the most consistent team over the last 3 seasons and have shown that we can finish strong. We are 2 results behind them despite playing most of the season with a large chunk of what we would consider our first XI out of action. We will get stronger as they come back and the season goes on as we build to our peak. City are as strong as they can be (despite Aguero and Mendy out which doesn’t effect their style as much as our absentees.) and at their peak already. Unsustainable. Only one way it can from there. Not saying we will definitely win it, but to listen to the media, they are engraving the trophy and preparing the ribbons already. Blue and white ribbons will end up on the trophy, let’s just hope they are the right shade of blue.

All predictions are completely pointless, they almost always reflect what you want to happen, there is no objective evaluation and in most cases they turn out to be wrong.

City may well stutter and fold. So might we. Or City might march on unhindered and win the league by a record margin. Or somewhere between. Not a single one of you would have predicted Leicester winning the league in October 2015 and I'd wager that almost all of you were confidently forecasting that they would collapse up until it seemed certain they wouldn't

People writing off United and Chelsea - would you have written us off if we'd lost on Sunday? Can you imagine the howling here and elsewhere at (insert name of most hated pundit cunt here) if they had done so?

Last edited:
I still feel worried about Wembley. We don't look right there in the games against the smaller teams. We'd need to go on a really good home run to convince me we can challenge. It's all about adapting to playing there, and how long this takes to happen (if at all). As Sammy said, it's a massive disadvantage and means we are really up against it when you also look at how well City are playing and the other advantages they have over us.

I think we look good for top three/four though.
It’s the whole Wembley vibe for me. Sure, it’s great that we can raise a 73500 crowd against a team like Bournemouth (no disrespect to them but they aren’t a PL heavyweight) but the whole thing just feels very flat. Pockets of fans trying to get an atmosphere going from time to time, but it fades on the wind. I’m sure the players feel it too.
Moving back home can’t come soon enough.
I don’t think we will adapt to it there. It’s not our home & whilst we can dress it up a bit & throw the odd good party, the place doesn’t look, feel or sound like home. I hope I’m wrong & we start smashing it there, but I think a top 4 finish would be superb. Anything more would be a bonus & anything less, whilst disappointing, wouldn’t be unexpected.

Fair enough but personally I reckon MK would have taken on a cult atmosphere like Fulham.
Also think the players would have played more like at WHL as it actually looks very similar, and not a red seat in sight.

The waiting list issue could have been resolved another way. There was absolutely no reason to force people to sign up for Wembley in order to but one at the new WHL. Should have simply prioritized loyalty and made the rest first come first served.

I get that financially it suits the chairman, but far from propelling us into the world stage, teams are just coming there and taking the piss out of our fans. There were chants of "your grounds too big for you" yesterday, from Bournemouth fans ffs!

We can take 80k and all we will get is talk about the 10k empties anyway.
Also I don't buy the talk of STs missing out at MK and it being unfair. People saying the STs are no shows at Wembley.....so...

Not gonna go through it all again, but if Wembley holds us back on the pitch it can't be the right choice. Corporate and financial reasons are not my reasons.

If Milton Keynes and Fulham are such great grounds for home advantage - how come they both hardly ever win at home?

We are a few points off top without playing that well so far. We are capable of being so much better. We’ve been the best team over the past two years.

Of course we are in the title race. And it’s not too early to say it.

In fact, here’s a thought. We are in next seasons title race too.

Another 1 v Chelsea and 2 against Burnley and Swansea and the league table looks very different. And they were all points dropped IMO.
They were absolutely points dropped.
I won't say we should have beaten Swansea even though it's a game you want maximum points from.

But Chelsea we threw away a point and Burnley we threw away two.

Those fine margins become huge by April.....what we need to do is beat the likes of Utd Liverpool and Chelsea away, and not just accept those grounds as places where a point is good.

The fact we are even having this thread is insane considering we are playing the season at Wembley. This shows how good we really are. I can't wait for Chelsea playing there, I bet they are absolute shite and finish 10th (or whatever it was) again.

Back
Top Bottom