Nottingham Forest VS Tottenham Hotspur. Sunday the 28th August 2022. City Ground 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He stopped him from wanting to showboat. I don't get how it was dangerous foul play and apparently nor did the referee or VAR team who didn't even give it a check.

And yes, its petulance. I'm not agreeing with it, I'm saying it's to be expected & I reckon Romero (or some of our other players) react in the same way, so I'm not about to pearl clutch over it. Richarlison is a player who loves winding teams up & who has gone in hard and dangerous on other players more than once.

We've got players who play on the edge & do questionable things sometimes so I'm not gonna cry over a bit of the same back .. nobody was outraged when Romero dragged Cucurella down by his hair last week.

.........You seemed to be.

You were pretty hellbent on convincing me that it was an act of violence and jnsisted that Romero should have been sent off; even though the rulebook (and Mike Dean) suggested otherwise.

.........You seemed to be.

You were pretty hellbent on convincing me that it was an act of violence and jnsisted that Romero should have been sent off; even though the rulebook (and Mike Dean) suggested otherwise.

He got ditched as a VAR official for not acting .. so there's no convincing, I was correct & the officials view it as a mistake because it was violent conduct under the rulebook.

Also I wasn't outraged morally, lmao. I don't give a shit about Cucurella. I found it pretty hilarious to be honest. I was annoyed at Romero because if the referees did their job we're down to 10 and he's banned for 3 games. That's it.

Last edited:
You snooze, you lose Forest. :contelol:

I will hold a vigil dedicated to the swift recovery of Richarlison's junk. :pochsmirk:

Forest's gaffer looks like he could be the crime boss for a network of hash dens. :harryhmm:

Generally composed performance. Only allowed them to gain about 10 minutes of steam after the PK save. I am really enjoying watching us play right now. Not just because of the results, but because it is just very fun to watch.

COYS

Referring to the wearing of a Kippah and shouting where's ya jew cap. I spoke to a mate earlier who went and said there was more outdated anti-semitism outside the ground
My favorite bit is his pointing to the decal celebrating a 40 year old fucking trophy.

I like Forest, so I'm not gonna let a couple of idiots ruin that...but they sure do seem enamored with themselves. Like a film star that's done fuck all in 40 years, but shows up to the Oscars expecting front row and a special recognition award. Just be glad we remember who the hell you are and let you in, grandpa.

I don't like it when Dier leaves his position - if we hold our shape its really difficult to score against us
Yes, as last defender he has to stay on his feet and goalside, he went for a header and sold himself against Wolves and he tried to nick a ball on the halfway line yesterday, missed it and left a big gap behind.

Dier and Davies have done well since Conte joined but they need competition for their places. Toby and Jan they are not.

My favorite bit is his pointing to the decal celebrating a 40 year old fucking trophy.

I like Forest, so I'm not gonna let a couple of idiots ruin that...but they sure do seem enamored with themselves. Like a film star that's done fuck all in 40 years, but shows up to the Oscars expecting front row and a special recognition award. Just be glad we remember who the hell you are and let you in, grandpa.
Yep this is the bit that's got me with Forest, I genuinely don't mind them but them banging on about winning European trophies 40 years ago is pretty embarrassing. Are they honestly gonna sing 'Champions of Europe' song to pretty much every team they play this season.

I'm pretty sure they weren't singing it to fans of Yeovil Town when they lost to them in a League 1 Play Off Semi Final 15 years ago.

He got ditched as a VAR official for not acting .. so there's no convincing, I was correct & the officials view it as a mistake because it was violent conduct under the rulebook.

That's not true.... (See below)

(I actually posted this article in a reply to you a could of weeks ago because it actually illustrates that the definition of the offense is a grey area.)

Also I wasn't outraged morally, lmao. I don't give a shit about Cucurella. I found it pretty hilarious to be honest. I was annoyed at Romero because if the referees did their job we're down to 10 and he's banned for 3 games. That's it.

A red card isn't/wasn't a foregone conclusion.

From that very article:

"Romero will not face retrospective action for the incident late in the game on Sunday - as pulling a player's hair is not considered an offence in football's laws.

Had referee Taylor spotted the incident in real time, then the correct course of action would have been a free-kick to Chelsea, leaving Spurs unable to score from that specific attack.

Unlike rugby, football laws do not specifically mention hair-pulling. The officials must decide whether the extent of the hair pulling is forceful enough to be considered violent conduct.

If it is not, then it would probably be considered unsporting behaviour and result in a yellow card."

.......It's up to the ref to decide whether a hair-pull is "violent" or simply "unsporting"

All Dean concedes is that he thinks he should have advised Taylor to review the incident on the screen.

""I should've asked [referee] (Anthony) Taylor to visit his pitch-side monitor to take a look""

That's not true.... (See below)

(I actually posted this article in a reply to you a could of weeks ago because it actually illustrates that the definition of the offense is a grey area.)

""I should've asked [referee] (Anthony) Taylor to visit his pitch-side monitor to take a look""

' I think the VAR should intervene. I'm not sure the referee has seen it, I think he looks down but I think he does it instinctively. I think he watches the flight of the ball. He does look down, but I think it has already happened. The VAR has the perfect look. As soon as I saw it, I said, 'I think he is going to get a red card here, he's pulled him down by the hair'. I anticipated the VAR sending Anthony Taylor to the screen. I know for a fact that if Anthony had been sent to the screen, he would have given a red card and a free-kick to Chelsea.' - Dermot Gallagher, ex-referee.

Mike Dean knows that sending the ref to the monitor = he gives a fucking red. Read between the damn lines ffs, he's saying he knows he should've called it out & didn't. Every single qualified opinion I've seen on this has said red card. A toddler could tell you it was violent conduct.

Last post I'm making on this as far too much has been said about something so obviously incredibly clear cut to anyone outside of Spurs. Referees don't need to be told that grabbing someone by the hair and dragging them to the ground is violent, they know.

Walking to the ground yesterday, there was a real buzz in the air, similar to Huddersfield when they came up. Their enthusiasm was impressive in the ground and you kind of wished them well.
Then they started with that' Champions etc.' horse shit and at that point they could fuck right off. The pundits, of course loved them and loved their work rate and dominance. Except they did fuck all with possession, had one shot on target and had no quality in the final third.
We constantly gave the ball away again in the first half which will cost us dear Wednesday, but defended well, and for the most part kept our shape.
I wasn't panicking as they will find it very tough in the coming months and once again we got a late killer goal while not firing on all cylinders.
No defeats and a clean sheet will do me for now but we are getting dominated in the midfield and seem to spend every first half losing possession. We are reaching new levels of shithousery though, and getting yet more clubs to hate us and the media to do their best not to praise us.
I'm loving it. :contelol:

' I think the VAR should intervene. I'm not sure the referee has seen it, I think he looks down but I think he does it instinctively. I think he watches the flight of the ball. He does look down, but I think it has already happened. The VAR has the perfect look. As soon as I saw it, I said, 'I think he is going to get a red card here, he's pulled him down by the hair'. I anticipated the VAR sending Anthony Taylor to the screen. I know for a fact that if Anthony had been sent to the screen, he would have given a red card and a free-kick to Chelsea.' - Dermot Gallagher, ex-referee.

I think Dermot needs to re-aquaint himself with what the word "fact" means,.

He presumes that Taylor would have deemed it violent conduct, but the rulebook leaves the extent of the offense to the ref's discretion.

The word "violent" remains pivotal to this discussion.

....As per the article the very article you posted; a hair pull has the potential to be judged a yellow card offense.

Mike Dean knows that sending the ref to the monitor = he gives a fucking red.

No; he knows that the final call on the matter resides with the ref..... He says so in the sky article that you posted.

Read between the damn lines ffs, he's saying he knows he should've called it out & didn't. Every single qualified opinion I've seen on this has said red card. A toddler could tell you it was violent conduct.

Last post I'm making on this as far too much has been said about something so obviously incredibly clear cut to anyone outside of Spurs.

"Reading between the lines" is not how a rule-book is designed to work.

Should the rules be tightened up with a clearer definition of what constitues violent conduct? Perhaps so, but right now things aren't as black and white as you seek to paint them to be. The article you chose to re-post confirms this.

Seemed bizarre to me how VAR was able to determine that Kane didn't have a clear goalscoring opp in the pen around 55'. I think the CB should have seen straight red for an insultingly deliberate handball directly in front of the net.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom