Nottingham Forest VS Tottenham Hotspur. Sunday the 28th August 2022. City Ground 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Forest are falling for the 'early season effort is enough' trap.
Their fans are cock-a-hoop this morning because they gave us a good game and all thinking, if we play like that every game we will be safe.
Wrong, you won't be able to play like that every game and things change very quickly. The fans are still on a ride and have been dreaming of playing in the premier league, so a defeat is ok.
It won't be long before they are sick of losing and start worrying about relegation and then it becomes a different scenario.
Effort alone will not be enough for the fans, accepting defeat will not be the norm and the players will not be able to play every game with sheer intensity.

It's still early days and everything is rosy, but ask Norwich, things turn shitty pretty quickly. Let's see in a few months whether they will still be saying they are proud of their players after each loss.

They have 2 losses, a draw & a win. Losses away to Newcastle & Spurs are hardly unexpected, even for mid table teams. They were a couple of minutes from getting the win at Goodison too. Pretty decent early set of results for a promoted team, regardless of performances.

They have 2 losses, a draw & a win. Losses away to Newcastle & Spurs are hardly unexpected, even for mid table teams. They were a couple of minutes from getting the win at Goodison too. Pretty decent early set of results for a promoted team, regardless of performances.

That kind of is my point. With their intensity and it all being a novelty, they will start well but won't be able to keep it up.

That kind of is my point. With their intensity and it all being a novelty, they will start well but won't be able to keep it up.

Possibly, but I quite like Cooper & they played a similar way last season under him. Think they'll face some tricky periods with so many players settling but will have enough quality to make a much better go of it than a Norwich.

Think they'll end up more similar to Brentford, tbh.

Last edited:
Forest are falling for the 'early season effort is enough' trap.
Their fans are cock-a-hoop this morning because they gave us a good game and all thinking, if we play like that every game we will be safe.
Wrong, you won't be able to play like that every game and things change very quickly. The fans are still on a ride and have been dreaming of playing in the premier league, so a defeat is ok.
It won't be long before they are sick of losing and start worrying about relegation and then it becomes a different scenario.
Effort alone will not be enough for the fans, accepting defeat will not be the norm and the players will not be able to play every game with sheer intensity.

It's still early days and everything is rosy, but ask Norwich, things turn shitty pretty quickly. Let's see in a few months whether they will still be saying they are proud of their players after each loss.
Agree. We couldn’t really have played forest at a worse time

I’ll give them credit they didn’t stop running and the crowd didn’t stop willing them on

But it was ‘cup final’ mentality…. It’s not something that can be sustained over a full season

Looking at the pass map, I wonder if Forest set out to let Sanchez and Royal have the ball. Davies and Perisic saw very little of it and we rarely switched it from right to left across the back. That lack of fluidity certainly had a negative effect on the retention and build up aspects of our play. Conte should be looking at how to address this.

Looking at the pass map, I wonder if Forest set out to let Sanchez and Royal have the ball. Davies and Perisic saw very little of it and we rarely switched it from right to left across the back. That lack of fluidity certainly had a negative effect on the retention and build up aspects of our play. Conte should be looking at how to address this.
Would make sense as they are our worst 2 players on the ball

People need to stop equating "Possession" with "Dominance" They're entirely different things.
It’s not the lack of possession.but more the reasons or manner of that lack of possession. In this case the sloppy passing and poor decision making. We were wasteful in possession and were giving the ball away needlessly.

If the opponent today had been a top 6 team nobody would be complaining about the match. The truth is many feel as Spurs were playing a recently promoted Club that many top to go right back down to the Championship, a certain level of outplaying them would be expected.

I don’t feel the performance was that bad but I also don’t think we were very good. We got the job done but I wonder how much was our dogged defending and how much was Forest being toothless in the final 3rd?

I also can agree that Conte is being stubborn about bedding in the new lads and sticking with the same group regardless of their performance level. I prefer to stick the positives at the moment which is 3 more points, and a clean sheet while Son is firing blanks….I am encouraged by our ability to defend, and win, something which Mourinho was unable to get us doing but I am also concerned that the current level of performance will not continue to provide similar results unless the overall performances improve. Especially now that the games will be coming thick and fast and CL is just around the corner.

I trust Conte, he has us well drilled and I’m sure he is aware the performances have been somewhat subdued and I’m confident we can iron out the issues and win whilst upping the quality of the performance to the eye.

Lots to be buoyed about but not obviously without concerns. Moaners should look at the table but those not seeing the cracks in the performance should also take a closer look.

We will get there. COYS

Yeah it’s weird!

get off Richarlisons case ffs and support our lads!

I hope he and others have stored that ridiculous tackle on their heads for the next time we play forest!

Also is it just me or did forest really start kicking fuck out of us after the pen?
Good addition to the team but I can't bring myself to like him. He's a total prick....but at least he's our prick....

I was delighted for the three points, but there were far too many instances yesterday where our defensive line looked like a mad scramble.
That’s just not true. They had 1 shot on target. Barely any touches in the box. Our defense was our best part yesterday. If we had actually taken are chances and shots on target it would have been like 5-0

That’s just not true. They had 1 shot on target. Barely any touches in the box. Our defense was our best part yesterday. If we had actually taken are chances and shots on target it would have been like 5-0
We easily could have put another few goals past them, but other than that it's clear that we weren't watching the same game.

Our defense completely lost its shape on multiple occasions yesterday, leading to the ball ping ponging around in our box and several panicked and dodgy clearances.

Back
Top Bottom