Manchester City v. Tottenham Hotspur - Who cares?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are currently on a run of 4 away EPL losses and 6 domestic away losses. 7 away losses in our last 8 all comps. It's not like we have played awful so surely we are due a law of averages draw?

Law of Averages doesn't exist. I agree with the sentiment though.

The thing about city (and Pep teams) is that they seem to lose their heads at crucial moments. Most of their big losses these past two years involved short passages of disastrous play where they ship multiple goals.

Examples being: Liverpool's 4-3 win (three goals in 9 minutes), United's 3-2 win (Pogba's double in two minutes), Liverpool's 3-0 win (three goals in the first twenty minutes), and of course Son's three minute double yesterday.

Basically, when a something doesn't go to plan, they can lose their heads. This was also typical with Pep's Bayern, who routinely blew champions league ties with short bursts of madness.

Why this happens I couldn't tell you, but it does seem to be a pattern with pep's teams. I was listening to a podcast today that suggested it could be because pep's playing style emphasises the system over the individual, which reduces the ability of more senior players to exercise authority over the team, which is essential for situations when the ship needs to be steadied.

Maybe this is the best time to play city again, considering this. hence why I keep claiming they are 'on tilt'. City are weakest when they are down.

This game absolutely means something...... We need to give this 110 percent and try and get something out of this....... I will not be happy if we just bend over and hand it to them on a plate.

We want to be competing at the highest level on a regular basis and that's what this game is all about.... We can't just say "We're in the Champions League Semi so let's not bother in this game"

What's going to most help our chances going forward...... A drubbing on Saturday or a tightly fought contest where we grind out a draw or even nick a win?

Why this happens I couldn't tell you, but it does seem to be a pattern with pep's teams.

Conjecture, but it might be down to the fact that he demands a single style of play and if you don't honour it, you're dropped. So, they have to play it out from the back and keep the ball. Any player that relinquishes the ball speculatively is immediately discarded. In moments of intense pressure, there's a lot to be said for not having the ball and simply not making mistakes (Mourinho's philosophy).

I think the players lose their heads because they fear losing the ball more than conceding a goal.

I care, I want to win every game. Do I think we will win? Doubtful but I live In hope.
A victory will make a statement to the chasing pack and give us a better chance of being in the top four.

dunno
sometimes you have to lose a battle to win a war. Personally, I'd rest most of the 1st XI - I think they're knackered (and I don't care if City are as, or even more, knackered, that's not the issue). I'd rather lose this one and win the rest, than win this one and lose 2 out of the next 4.

I care, I want to win every game. Do I think we will win? Doubtful but I live In hope.
A victory will make a statement to the chasing pack and give us a better chance of being in the top four.
Agree with this, we still need the win as much as we did Tuesday, but I can live with the fact we looked dead on the whistle and they had barely started using their absurd wealth in reserves. Fuck em.

Bizarre thread, imo.
As much as I would hate to see the dippers win the league, my priority is still Spurs.
I'm not going to have a fucking heart attack every week, just to hope we lay down for this one...

Yep. I expect more thuggery from Pep as revenge. Our squad is really thin now. We can't afford any injuries.

Fuck them, it they kick chunks out of us, we kick chunks out of them, toe to fucking toe, we're Tottenham Hotspur and we should never bow to anyone. We go for the throat, it's in our DNA to regardless of which 11 are on the pitch. Kick them whilst their down Spurs, fucking ruin them!

I don't really care who wins the league if it isn't us. (Out of City vs 'Pool I mean...obviously if Woolwich or Chelscum were involved its another matter!)

I want us to win every game, including this one. I doubt we will come out on top here though, and I'd agree with giving Skipp and KWP a go for the experience. Maybe Gazzaniga as well.

Lawro (cunt) & Merson (cunt) have both written us off for tomorrow. Lawro didn’t even say a single word about spurs in his prediction.
Let’s prove them all wrong

I don't really care who wins the league if it isn't us. (Out of City vs 'Pool I mean...obviously if Woolwich or Chelscum were involved its another matter!)

I want us to win every game, including this one. I doubt we will come out on top here though, and I'd agree with giving Skipp and KWP a go for the experience. Maybe Gazzaniga as well.
at the moment our goal difference gives us a point, I don't want to put out a team that loses by 3+ goals, we need to think about parking the bus in this game

Fully expecting a battering from City, they are capable of resting players and brining in replacements of the same quality.

But... imagine we win by an offside goal VAR would have disallowed. I genuinely think Pep would end it right there on the touch line.

Lawro (cunt) & Merson (cunt) have both written us off for tomorrow. Lawro didn’t even say a single word about spurs in his prediction.
Let’s prove them all wrong
Astonished me that every year media write us off for top four. Then write us off in big games. None of them predicted we'd knock City out. Four days later and they think it's a foregone conclusion that City will beat us.

The game will be similar but both sides defending better and less reckless. I predict City will loath us even more after Saturdays result.

'Who cares'?

What a pathetic attitude considering we're hanging onto 4th by a thread
It’s just tongue in cheek mate. A bit of a laugh after the epic on Wednesday. Of course any fan desperately wants to get something out of the game. My main concern is that we don’t completely knacker the squad before the two home games next week, which are absolutely crucial.

Back
Top Bottom