Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As Mandy says, we need as much possession as possible. And as others have said, we must keep a clean sheet for as long as possible (the entire game, preferably).
Against a team like Citeh, where we, The Mighty Spurs, are underdogs - and away from home - we need to set up like most lesser teams do when they come to WHL - solid and well-rehearsed in defence, with the potential to break at speed.
0-1 up at half time, then double the lead straight after the break. Seal the victory with a 3rd goal at around 80 minutes. :)
Unrealistic? Of course, but I can dream, can't I?

----------------Hugo------------------
--------KWP /Sanchez / Toby / Jan / Rose--------
---------------- Winks / Sissoko / Ndombele-----------------
-------------Lucas / Kane--------------​

Edit - I was just thinking, To Dare is to Do - so maybe play Lo Celso. He's a bit of an unknown and may just throw the cat among the pigeons.

Think Sanchez has to play because the Verts/Toby combination just has absolutely no pace and against City that's suicide. So either Sanchez/Verts or Toby/Sanchez along with KWP and Rose.

I think we play 4 of the 5 other big 6 teams away first so second half of the season could be big if we're still in or around it.

Huge game, going to be tough. Hate that we will be missing some key players and our signings Lo Celso & Sessegnon won’t have settled by the time we play them.

People saying they’re happy to get City at the Etihad out of the way early but there couldn’t be a worse time to play them for us given our current circumstances. Im still confident we can take something away from this game, we should be going into every game with the belief we can win let alone draw.

Can’t believe how many people want us to play three at the back, last season it was a disaster and our midfield couldn’t keep up. In fact since we haven’t had prime Dembele our midfield has been garbage in a three man defence, possibly with the acquisition of Ndombele it could work again but I haven’t seen Poch trial it once since his arrival and i definitely don’t feel comfortable with him trialing it at the Etihad. I think 4231 is the way to go for this fixture and we need to set up for the counter attack like we did in the first fixture of the quarter final of the Champions League, I’d go with

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Rose
Sissoko - Ndombele
Lucas Moura - Eriksen - Lamela
Kane

Im not sure whether Walker-Peters is ready but imo he has earned the right to start this game with his solid performance, Vertonghen I don’t think will start this and perhaps with Davison’s pace and Toby’s ability to pick out a pass it’s the right call. He has to be available on the bench at the very least though. Lamela may not have played well against Villa but I feel like his pressing could be vital for us like it was when he hunted down Grealish and should get a run of games in the first team until Dele is fit and Son is available.

Big game and I’m pumped to see what we make of it! COYS

Throw caution to the wind and go for the win from the start. Set our expectations high. I want a win by at least two clear goals.
Teams are not successful going to City hoping simply to somehow survive. Pathetic.

Sitting back and parking the bus won't work against City - they're too good for that. Match fire with fire. If we lose, at least we go down fighting.

But as showed in the CL games, we're more than capable of scoring a few.

I'd be happy/relieved with a point. City will need to go for all 3.

Going toe-to-toe with them wont work. They have too many good players and too many options on the bench.

Five at the back, 4 in midfield and Kane up front rather like we did against Dortmund (from memory) last season. Strangle the game/park bus rather like Burnley or Stoke (of old) would.

Set piece/corner magic from Eriksen/Kane/ Alderweireld(!) to pinch the points?

Last edited:
No matter what the stats show, our last two games at the Etihad has been only a one-goal difference for City. I'm confident that we can surprise them if we are up for it, but we NEED the right system and starting 11 for it to happen.

Also, it would be fun if Kevin De Bruyne doesn't turn into a mixture of prime Messi, Iniesta and Xavi like our last UCL game against them.

[FORMATION=4231,Lloris,KWP,Toby,Sanchez,Rose,Ndombele,Lo Celso,Moura,Eriksen,Lamela,Kane][/FORMATION]

Subs:
Gazzaniga
Vertonghen
Winks
Sissoko
Dier
Nkoudou
Parrott

Last edited:
Run at them, avoid stupid mistakes and have a go. See how they like that. I wouldn't try to be too smart, it has cost us before. We go there with our best line-up, if we play well, we are good enough to take 1 or 3 points.

Think it has to be 433 NOT a diamond. Ask Lamela and Moura to stay wide to stretch their very normal back line. They are still good in defence but its the only part of the pitch that doesn't have world class stars there. (Laporte maybe the only one?).

Start eriksen, maybe in place of CoCo?

We can win this game, I have a very good feeling. :tobyarm:

[FORMATION=4231,Lloris,KWP,Toby,Sanchez,Rose,Ndombele,Lo Celso,Moura,Eriksen,Lamela,Kane][/FORMATION]

Subs:
Gazzaniga
Vertonghen
Winks
Sissoko
Dier
Nkoudou
Parrott
This would be the team to try and counter their pressure and possession. No way Lo Celso starts though. Probably Winks.

People have said it before but parking the bus against City doesn't work they will break you down eventually. I expect them to overload the flanks with passing triangles to try and catch out our full backs, so we will need a lot of defensive support from the likes of Lamela/Lucas/Eriksen on the edges and trust Winks/Ndombele to clog the middle of the pitch.

We've had decent performances against them lately and we have key players out, but hopefully Poch has learned alot from the matches against City last year as well as this past weekend's game.

I personally think we can win this match, hoping to see Lo Celso on the bench.

Eriksen and Jan have to start for this one, imperative if we want to get anything from the game imo.

I would go with

Lloris,

KWP, Toby, Jan, Rose,

Ndombele, Sissoko,

Eriksen

Lamela, Moura, Kane

Back
Top Bottom