Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are likely to have a similar choice of players as we had versus Villa, with maybe Dier and Wanyama with a full week of first tram training extra.

Lo Celso started training with Betis about 2-3 weeks ago after coming back from Copa America, so he wont be fit enough to play much part in the game. Son's last game of being suspended.

So the choices really are around starting Eriksen (or bringing him off the bench fresh later in the game) and starting Vertonghen.

Personally don't think we play well with 3 CB's, so :

Lloris
KWP 2 from Alderweireld/ Vertonghen/Sanchez Rose
Sissoko Ndombele, Winks,
Moura Kane Eriksen​

Subs :
Gazanigga
Aurier
CB who isn't in the team
Dier
Skipp,
Lamela
GKN

Playing 3 CMs to try to keep ManCity at bay

Think I've included pretty much everyone likely to be fit either in team or on bench except maybe Wanyama and youngsters (Parrott, Tanganga White et al)

These are the games that define a title winning season, so I’d assume every player gets that, right?

I’m going to say a draw would be a good result, and would take it if offered it right now, but there is no reason to not to think we can’t win this....right formation is critical, we can’t win it in the first 25mins but we can certainly lose it, so a calm performance required and relay on our strengths to finish strong.....COYS

Two gold stars for anyone who guesses the correct team selection for the coming defeat against City. Vertonghen has to play and we should play 5:3:2 for this one.

Last edited:
Kane

Eriksen

NDombele
Rose- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Lamela
Winks - - - - Sissoko

Vertonghen Sanchez Alderweireld

Lloris​

Would take 0-0 now. Must have Jan and Toby as CB's. Hope Eriksen fit enough to start. Will be entirely different game as we will not have such high possession but need to break fast when we get the ball and Moura should be vital to get a goal as cannot really see us keeping a clean sheet.

Have to say it, a draw in this would be a great result.
Be interesting to see if Vertonghen comes back in and if GLC is involved. Not sure how far Sessegnon is from fitness.

Have to say it, a draw in this would be a great result.
Be interesting to see if Vertonghen comes back in and if GLC is involved. Not sure how far Sessegnon is from fitness.

We definitely need Jan back instead of Sánchez for this game
Pep will want revenge

4idBu8J.jpg

Gazza, Aurier, Sanchez, Skipp, Lo Celso, GKN, Lamela
Bold choice to not put any of our defenders in defense.

Based on Poch’s fairly brutal language regarding Vertonghen, it would seem unlikely that he will play. A half-fit Dier was selected in the 18 ahead of him.

I guess we will see:

Lloris
Walker-Peters Alderweireld Sanchez Rose
Sissoko Winks
Lucas Eriksen Ndombele
Kane

This game is a free swing for us, our squad isn’t ready to really compete in this fixture yet. I don’t feel comfortable playing this type of game without Son. Let’s just try to be competitive, it’s a good time to play this game as both teams will be rusty.

I think we have to do the same as in the Champ League second leg and fight fire with fire... Go at them, don't sit back and hope we have enough to out-score them. I think if we are slightly more clinical than yesterday we do.

I wouldn't have Lo Celso involved for this one. Making your debut against arguably the best team in the world away from home is a very tough ask. I think him starting or coming off the bench against Newcastle makes a lot more sense.

Big shame Son will be missing after how much he scared them shitless last year but I hope Lucas can step up with some more heroics- he looked good yesterday, just lacked a goal.

I'd have the same team as yesterday apart from Eriksen in for Lamela, with Lamela coming on to fuck them up at some point in the second half when necessary.

Can see a high-scoring game and I'm predicting 3-3... which I'd certainly take.

Based on Poch’s fairly brutal language regarding Vertonghen, it would seem unlikely that he will play. A half-fit Dier was selected in the 18 ahead of him.

I guess we will see:

Lloris
Walker-Peters Alderweireld Sanchez Rose
Sissoko Winks
Lucas Eriksen Ndombele
Kane

This game is a free swing for us, our squad isn’t ready to really compete in this fixture yet. I don’t feel comfortable playing this type of game without Son. Let’s just try to be competitive, it’s a good time to play this game as both teams will be rusty.

It might be silly but it could also be brave.

Rodri looked very shaky in their match

I don't think you sit back vs City. You have to attack them.

Let's go with the 4-3-3 or wide 4-2-3-1 with Winks & Ndombele as pivots

If we can please try and get through the first 5 minutes without conceding, we'll already be doing better than the last 2 times we played this lot.

Our strategy should be to contain and shut them down for the first 15 minutes - then who knows what might happen.

The Champions league 2nd leg is not the way to approach this. Going toe to toe with them means we lose 4-2 ish. Great entertainment but ultimately a loss.

The Champions league 1st leg is the ideal way to approach this - contain them, frustrate them, don't get too crazy, nullify their attacks and then try and nick one on the break in the 2nd half.

Fuck knows how we'll line up vs. how we 'should' tbh...

Sissoko starts tho.... His kind of game. Stick him on Rodri and try to disrupt their engine room.

----------------Hugo------------------
--------Toby / Sanchez / Jan--------
KWP / Winks / Ndombele / Rose
----------------Sissoko-----------------
-------------Lucas / Kane--------------

...Is this formation even a thing? :carrollwtf:

Fuck knows how we'll line up vs. how we 'should' tbh...

Sissoko starts tho.... His kind of game. Stick him on Rodri and try to disrupt their engine room.

----------------Hugo------------------
--------Toby / Sanchez / Jan--------
KWP / Winks / Ndombele / Rose
----------------Sissoko-----------------
-------------Lucas / Kane--------------

...Is this formation even a thing? :carrollwtf:
Basically 5 at the back with wingbacks and 2 holding midfielders. I think Sissoko connecting midfield to attack is a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom