Levy / €NIC. In or Out

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy / ENIC. In or Out

• Levy / ENIC. We want you to stay

• Levy / ENIC. Get out of our club

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because it's so fucking obvious to anyone who can read between the lines that the man who is saying "we talk about my contract in 6 months" has no interest in the "long term" plan or process. My god, do you actually think the 'oh the best we can achieve is 5th' shit is him being sincere? He's chucking down a fucking gauntlet/whining/doing what he's ALWAYS DONE AT EVERY CLUB BEFORE US.

It's fucking Conte! Wake up!
So why on earth are you interested in what he has to say when he leaves? At that point he has no axe to grind? No reputation to preserve?

Reading between the lines on football forum means confirmation bias.

But that’s the issue we don’t have time. We hired Conte, he needs an elite squad, is generally short term and when he has gone on longer like Chelsea it fell away the season after he won the title. You hire Conte to take a top quality team across the line, he then fucks off.

If Levy wants time, hire Ten Hag, hire Potter, hire a manager of that type. Someone you build a team getting rough diamonds putting together a progressive attacking team over several years.

We have gone for cheque book managers without the team of elite players to work. Since Poch it has been a total shambles.
Completely agree with you. Contes hire, given our resources, was symptomatic of our lack of strategic direction.

57% was the lowest declared wages to revenue ratio out of all the Deloitte Money League clubs (ALL 20) in March last year.

Other English clubs...

Manchester City - 62%
Manchester United - 65%
Liverpool - 64%
Chelsea - 77%
Scum - 75%
Leicester - 85%
Wet Spam - 66%
Wolves - 72%

You and others are outing yourselves as extremely simple people. Little impulsive balls of emotion. That’s fine for dealing with a football match but leave the complex issues to people who use their brains.

Sorry if that’s condescending but your reactions are so dumb it’s embarrassing.
CUNT

So why on earth are you interested in what he has to say when he leaves? At that point he has no axe to grind? No reputation to preserve?

Reading between the lines on football forum means confirmation bias.

Because it will be entertaining to hear him give his views on Levy when he's not under contract.

Call it what you want. Conte isn't patient, he suggested he wasn't the man for the job when we lost to Burnley last season. If you think him coming out and suggesting the top level for us is 5th, that we make 10m signings etc etc means 'just be patient, trust the process' you're living in dream-world.

He's never operated in that way. He constantly jabs at boards in the press and has done throughout his career, this is nothing more than a continuation of past behaviour.

You and others are outing yourselves as extremely simple people. Little impulsive balls of emotion. That’s fine for dealing with a football match but leave the complex issues to people who use their brains.

Sorry if that’s condescending but your reactions are so dumb it’s embarrassing.
Ok big brain.

The performance has been poor in the last several years, but it seems people think we are a club that has a divine right to win trophies.

We could easily have turned into Aston Villa or Everton over the last 10-15 years instead of making a CL final and a few title challenges.
No not at all..
But at least compete..didn't see that sunday

The performance has been poor in the last several years, but it seems people think we are a club that has a divine right to win trophies.

We could easily have turned into Aston Villa or Everton over the last 10-15 years instead of making a CL final and a few title challenges.

We've had one proper title challenge. In 16/17. We are not calling us finishing 3rd and Leicester always being comfortably ahead a title challenge, it wasn't.

If getting to a cup final and having one title challenge where we finished 7 points below the leaders is the peak of 20 years of ENIC rule then ouch.

Because it's so fucking obvious to anyone who can read between the lines that the man who is saying "we talk about my contract in 6 months" has no interest in the "long term" plan or process. My god, do you actually think the 'oh the best we can achieve is 5th' shit is him being sincere? He's chucking down a fucking gauntlet/whining/doing what he's ALWAYS DONE AT EVERY CLUB BEFORE US.

It's fucking Conte! Wake up!
Doesn’t mean he is wrong though.

It will surprise absolutely no one that knows me (especially from the other site) that I voted ENIC to stay. But as someone else said, that doesn't mean i'm 100% happy with them either.

They've accomplished a lot more than most realise, you just can't measure it all in cups. Also the sheer number of semi finals and finals we've lost. Is it ENIC's responsibility or the the team's?

ENIC have failed to maximise opportunities where we should have pushed on and often held on to people to our overall detriment. However it's easy for me to say that when it's not me making the decision or having to try an enact them.

I'm not completely adverse to new owners, a fresh start and new ideas *may* be what we need but you where are these prospective owners. Most, if not all the people that can afford $2bn+ tend to be very damaged people in some way. Do we want to be owned by people who think gay people should be hung from cranes? Or the racist American oil baron? Or the tech guy who's never watched a game of football and would rather fly to the moon? Or the guy who's company poisoned whole communities and fought in court to stop them from getting reparations? Admittedly these aren't real people, they are caricatures but I think the point stands.

The grass is always greener...

15 managers in 22 years tells you everything you need to know about how this club has operated under Enic's stewardship
Who of the 15 managers should we have held on to longer?

Yes ENIC hired Nuno, Ramos, etc. but they've also hired Poch, Mourinho, Conte - the best managers around at the time.

Because it will be entertaining to hear him give his views on Levy when he's not under contract.

Call it what you want. Conte isn't patient, he suggested he wasn't the man for the job when we lost to Burnley last season. If you think him coming out and suggesting the top level for us is 5th, that we make 10m signings etc etc means 'just be patient, trust the process' you're living in dream-world.

He's never operated in that way. He constantly jabs at boards in the press and has done throughout his career, this is nothing more than a continuation of past behaviour.
Here. The whole thing is relevant but especially the bit in bold. Read what he is saying without imposing your own thoughts.

Quotes from the article:

"I continue to repeat that last season we made a miracle," he said of their fourth-placed finish last term in his press conference

"It happened, why? Because we played only one competition and we played with 12 or 13 players that didn't have injuries in the last 15 games.

"We played with the best players every game, because we played only the league. Don't forget that with three games to go, Woolwich was four points up from us - and that we finished 20 points behind Manchester City.

"We did a miracle, but I knew what the situation was and then I was very clear with the club [about what was needed] to become title contenders."

He continued: "I remember very well in the summer people talked about Tottenham as title contenders, but in my experience, it was a bit crazy to see this.

"To become title contenders, to become a team ready to fight to win something, you need to have a solid foundation, which means to have 14 or 15 strong players, with quality, and the other young players to develop.

"Every season, you can add two players, but two players priced £50m, £60m, £70m. In this way, it means you are signing important players who can improve the quality and the level of your team.

"But this is a process, guys. This is a process."

"People who think that you arrive and you win," he said. "This can happen for a team that are used in the past to winning. But if you are not used to it, it means you have to create the situation.

"For this reason, you need time, patience. I understand that the fans are disappointed because they can say they have had patience for a long time. I understand. But the situation is this: if you want the truth, I will tell you the truth."

Asked whether he feels Spurs fans have unrealistic expectations of their team, Conte added: "I don't have to think about what are the expectations. I know what is the reality.

"I am the coach, I live the club every day, I know the situation, I know the vision of the club. The club knows very well my thoughts about the situation.

"The situation was very clear. I continue to work to improve the club, to create a solid foundation and then to develop.

"At the start of the season, I was very, very clear with the club. I said: 'Okay, we can be competitive to win, but try to continue to improve in a way we can do it.'

"Because, also, you have to know there are clubs who can invest £200m, £300m and then other clubs who have different [policies]. You have to respect other [policies].

"But that has to be very clear to the people, because otherwise we create an expectation and it's not positive for the environment to create expectations that, in this moment, are not realistic."

Conte added that Spurs must now return to the transfer market and "buy strong" in order for him to continue the development of the team and avoid their slump continuing.

"I'm repeating this from the start of the season, but I was expecting this moment," he added. "Now, we have to buy strong, strong. Because the situation is that we are there, but in this league, you can slip quickly.

"I spoke also to my players and I said, the expectation is to grow, to fight, because from the first until the end, the road is not so long, you can slip quickly if you are not prepared and humble.

"If you ask me if I am scared, I'm not scared. I believe in my work, I believe in my players.

"But don't ask me about things I can't promise to you because this is only to create illusions and to give dreams. But at the moment you have to be realistic.

"Because if you are realistic, and you know the situation, you face the moment in the right way.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Conte said: "The message is always the same [to the fans]: I have never spoken about our team that this season we could be competitive, to fight to win.

"From the start of the season I say we are creating, we are building, we are trying to build a solid foundation because if you want to become a title contender and you want to try to win something during the season, you need to have solid foundations.

"Solid foundations mean you need to have your team, your squad, 13, 14 players strong, and then every year to put one, two important players to improve the quality. And for this reason, it means to invest £60m, £70m, £80m. In this way you improve the quality. Otherwise, if you go in every season not to spend...

"In this moment we have to create that solid foundation. We need to find 13, 14 players. We are trying to create this and then to start in every season to add important players, not normal players. Normal players don't make the difference. We need players that make the difference. Otherwise you have to go to develop a young player, then wait, you need to have patience. The situation at the moment is this.

It will surprise absolutely no one that knows me (especially from the other site) that I voted ENIC to stay. But as someone else said, that doesn't mean i'm 100% happy with them either.

They've accomplished a lot more than most realise, you just can't measure it all in cups. Also the sheer number of semi finals and finals we've lost. Is it ENIC's responsibility or the the team's?

ENIC have failed to maximise opportunities where we should have pushed on and often held on to people to our overall detriment. However it's easy for me to say that when it's not me making the decision or having to try an enact them.

I'm not completely adverse to new owners, a fresh start and new ideas *may* be what we need but you where are these prospective owners. Most, if not all the people that can afford $2bn+ tend to be very damaged people in some way. Do we want to be owned by people who think gay people should be hung from cranes? Or the racist American oil baron? Or the tech guy who's never watched a game of football and would rather fly to the moon? Or the guy who's company poisoned whole communities and fought in court to stop them from getting reparations? Admittedly these aren't real people, they are caricatures but I think the point stands.

Tomorrows jam is always jammier.

Or the guy who's company poisoned whole communities and fought in court to stop them from getting reparations? Admittedly these aren't real people, they are caricatures but I think the point stands.

I thought you were talking about Joe Lewis for a minute here.

I voted out, because I haven't seen anything that gives me any bit of confidence that ENIC know what they're doing as in football strategy. Keep in mind I'm not an expert, but what I can see is that there is no direction for the club.

First of all, if we dissect the managerial appointments. We've gone from one football style to another, without any logic whatsoever as why we've decided to switch so radically. We can agree that some manager names have been really intriguing, even for example Mourinho, who split opinions more than anyone else. Now with Conte, despite what people think, I would say is a mix between attacking and defensive football.

Then, the main problem is the players recruitment. ENIC haven't invested enough during Pochettino era. And when they did, the players we've bought in were mostly sold a few years later, because they were not good enough, with a couple of exceptions. What ENIC want is to buy young players, with the potential profit sale that can be invested in the team. But, this is very vague as in "buying young players with potential". There are a lot of this type of players out there, but maybe 10% of them (just an arbitrary number) make it to the world class bracket. In order to increase these chances, we must scout properly. Then, we must have the correct type of players we want to get. Then, we must set up a coaching system that will be in place even if the managers and their staff come and go. A good example is the Red Bull franchise. They recruit players that are sold for profit on a regular basis, whilst, I would say, they still overachieve.

So then, this is why the "project" should start from the root. This is why I think ENIC are not up to the task, because my feeling is that they tried to cover up their deficiencies by bring in managers who knew how to handle this stuff on their own.

Who of the 15 managers should we have held on to longer?

Yes ENIC hired Nuno, Ramos, etc. but they've also hired Poch, Mourinho, Conte - the best managers around at the time.
Better question is which of those managers should we have never hired in the first place ?

Mourinho
AVB
Nuno
Sherwood
Mason
Arguably Conte ( doesnt fit the club strategy)

Off the top of my head

Back
Top Bottom