Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't express the joy when local lads come through. Three seasons ago, ahead of the scum game, when we beat them 2-1, I was grabbing a bite to eat in the Jerk Centre couple of shops up from ChicKing. Whilst I was waiting for my grub, Walker-Peters walked in with Walkes, CCV, Onomah and a couple of other lads, all kitted out in their Spurs Track suits. As they put there order in I thought fuck it, I'll pick up their bill. All of them were insistent that I shouldn't, but wouldn't let them. I spent the next 5mins or so chatting to all of them, nice lads, no billy big bollocks. I walked out of the shop thinking that I was a bit of a pratt for doing it if I'm totally honest but as I walked up Paxton Road CCV and Walker-Peters tapped me on the shoulder and said "come on you Spurs", shock me by the hand and thanked me again.

Currently no Chav, Citeh, Woolwich or bin dipper fan can say this will happen to them.

Not really sure what all the KWP hate is about. He got completely done a couple of times by Sterling (who doesn't), and looked to me like City planned on attacking his side of the pitch early on.
His pace saved us on numerous occasions, he made some big blocks, and seems confident and careful making challenges in the box. City then seemed to switch their focus over to Rose, who I felt had a very poor game for his standards - and he is an experienced defender at an age where you won't expect much improvement if he hasn't already hit his peak.

KWP had his faults today, and he had his positives. At least he has years of development and progress ahead of him, and feel he is far better than Rose was at that age even if he hadn't been changed to a full back by then.

That will likely be his hardest test this season in any competition, and for me he came away with a 6 or 7/10.

Well played lad. Put in a proper shift and did good.

He needed this experience. Positive he should take is he kept going and didn't buckle when he made a mistake or the City attacker got the better of him. They're all top class attackers who trouble the best. He made some very crucial tackles in the second half in the box. Just keep learning and progressing. Next week is a different test because he'll be asked to do a lot more in attack. For someone who has only played 20 odd times in his career at age 22 you have to give him time.

Would be fucking stupid to opt for Aurier ahead of KWP.

This pretty much happens EVERY time. KWP has a good game and then he's suddenly dropped the following week. Happened on the opening day 17/18 after he was given MOTM against Newcastle. It happened again last season when he was given MOTM against Bournemouth. Let's not make the same mistake again.

Is it likely he has his work cut out against City? Of course. He's young, inexperienced and he'll be going up against arguably the best team in Europe. If he's not allowed to make mistakes or learn from them, what's the point?

Pochettino was brave enough to start Foyth against City last season and I have no doubt he'll do the same with KWP. It might mean Sissoko starts and helps him out and Alderweireld comes across to cover him a lot more (We may even go 3 at the back to compensate), but he needs to start.

He's been brilliant.

Would like those who want us to drop £20,000,000+ on Aarons to tell me why they think he's any better than Walker-Peters?

Blimey agendas much .... Juve are not two weeks behind us don't believe troll posts .... our training only began on the 8th July and most only returned on the 15th July ... so we haven't even done 2 weeks, the majority not even a week,so how can we be two weeks ahead?

Second playing in Asia is a big deal for Juve and Ronaldo, it was very noticeable that they started with him and kept him on until he scored, he pushed hard on KWP and KWP stood up to the task real well ...

KWP is just 22 he's played just 9 EPL games .... why the massive hurry to right him off?

Blimey agendas much .... Juve are not two weeks behind us don't believe troll posts .... our training only began on the 8th July and most only returned on the 15th July ... so we haven't even done 2 weeks, the majority not even a week,so how can we be two weeks ahead?

Second playing in Asia is a big deal for Juve and Ronaldo, it was very noticeable that they started with him and kept him on until he scored, he pushed hard on KWP and KWP stood up to the task real well ...

KWP is just 22 he's played just 9 EPL games .... why the massive hurry to right him off?

At KWPs age Danny Rose had just joined Sunderland on a season long loan and Kyle Walker had just a spell on loan at Aston Villa. People that write Walker-Peters off without giving him another year or two to grow are short sighted and idiotic.

He may come good, he may not but our two best fullbacks in recent times were both nowhere near starting for us at his age, people need to support him and stop berating the young lad, it's a shame I feel they were never his age. Give him time like anyone that is showing his early signs of potential requires and deserves. If we don't we might end up missing a trick.

The full interview...

The relief was palpable, the noise deafening. Euphoria reverberated around our new home on Saturday evening as Harry Kane wheeled away after firing us in front late on against Aston Villa.
Having been frustrated for over an hour by a dogged and resilient Villa outfit, we had finally found the lead. But, as the stadium erupted, the crowd leaping in ecstasy, Kyle Walker-Peters slumped to the turf in a heap.

It was an emotional moment for the 22-year-old. We had eventually overcome Dean Smith’s side after they had put up such a strong defence throughout the game - much like how Kyle has battled on in his career, progressing from the youth system to challenge for a place in our first-team.
Having grown up in the shadows of White Hart Lane, this club means a lot to the defender - emotion that was clear to see in the moments that followed Harry’s 86th-minute goal.

“I was just thinking about how much I love Harry (Kane)!” the full-back smiled, recalling his reaction to our number 10's first goal at our new stadium - his second wrapped up the 3-1 win soon after.

“Honestly, I could have cried on the pitch. It was that sort of emotion as the goal went in.
“When that goal goes in, you just think about everything you have been through to get here; everything I have been through on my journey to getting into the first-team and finally getting more and more opportunities as the gaffer is showing that trust in me.

“And, growing up in Tottenham, I just love the Club, so those moments mean just that little bit extra. You can’t control these emotions, it just happens. Everything just builds up in you - especially in that game.
“In terms of my career, that match was very important to me. I have to prove to the staff here and prove to the fans that I am ready to play in important games, help the team and hopefully be a part of a successful season.”

Frustrations had built-up throughout the game. Having started off brightly against newly-promoted Villa, we were down within nine minutes as John McGinn struck on the break.
Our opposition then sat in, thwarting our every advance. Villa laid their bodies on the line to defend their lead, and even if we did breach their defence, goalkeeper Tom Heaton was producing the spectacular between the sticks with his sprawling reflexes.

But, on 73 minutes, when Tanguy Ndombele strode up and beautifully caressed the ball into the corner of Heaton’s net from distance for 1-1, the atmosphere transformed.
“It is the mental switch in those moments,” our number 16 admitted. “We were knocking on the door and you start getting frustrated, but we just kept going.

“Of course, it was a tough game going down 1-0 as early as we did but with the help of the crowd and with the quality we have in our side, we managed to overcome the obstacle.
“To finally get that equaliser, it takes a lot of pressure off and you almost feel then like the second one is coming - and that winner came very quickly.”

Thought he defended Sterling as well as I've seen anyone defend him over the last 12 months.

Few times he obviously lost his marker, as defenders do, but I think he'd be happy with his overall performance. Certainly not our worst defender nor anywhere our worst player.

Games like this will hopefully only make him better. Not sure why Poch decided to play with narrow full backs today but hopefully it's not something we do often. It doesn't get the best out of them.

Clearly watching a different game/player to the majority of us.

At the point now where KWP could get an assist and a winner in the NLD and he'd be picked up by certain posters for being out of position in the 64th minute.

A bit like how certain players get back handed compliments despite scoring and assisting today.

Back
Top Bottom