Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good enough to play against lower PL sides but when it comes to the best this bloke is out of his depth.

MasculineBountifulGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

If you actually bother to go back and watch that match he was horrific for the goal and then played very well to make up for it.

KWP’s defensive positioning has been consistently terrible in any game where he’s had to defend. Playing him against City is a mistake. Aurier hasn’t been any kind of defensive genius, but I think he gives us a better chance to get something from the game.
Aurier literally hasn't played a minute of football for us since March and had half a preseason at best. Absolutely no way he's thrown in against the best team in the league.

I am not sure Aurier gives us a better chance of anything.

I don't see what people see in Aurier. He often looks lazy when he has to track back, can be rash in the tackle and therefore gets left for dead and his crossing is poor. He has some incredible games and moments but very inconsistent; I don't think there's a great deal between him and KWP.

The full interview...

The relief was palpable, the noise deafening. Euphoria reverberated around our new home on Saturday evening as Harry Kane wheeled away after firing us in front late on against Aston Villa.
Having been frustrated for over an hour by a dogged and resilient Villa outfit, we had finally found the lead. But, as the stadium erupted, the crowd leaping in ecstasy, Kyle Walker-Peters slumped to the turf in a heap.

It was an emotional moment for the 22-year-old. We had eventually overcome Dean Smith’s side after they had put up such a strong defence throughout the game - much like how Kyle has battled on in his career, progressing from the youth system to challenge for a place in our first-team.
Having grown up in the shadows of White Hart Lane, this club means a lot to the defender - emotion that was clear to see in the moments that followed Harry’s 86th-minute goal.

“I was just thinking about how much I love Harry (Kane)!” the full-back smiled, recalling his reaction to our number 10's first goal at our new stadium - his second wrapped up the 3-1 win soon after.

“Honestly, I could have cried on the pitch. It was that sort of emotion as the goal went in.
“When that goal goes in, you just think about everything you have been through to get here; everything I have been through on my journey to getting into the first-team and finally getting more and more opportunities as the gaffer is showing that trust in me.

“And, growing up in Tottenham, I just love the Club, so those moments mean just that little bit extra. You can’t control these emotions, it just happens. Everything just builds up in you - especially in that game.
“In terms of my career, that match was very important to me. I have to prove to the staff here and prove to the fans that I am ready to play in important games, help the team and hopefully be a part of a successful season.”

Frustrations had built-up throughout the game. Having started off brightly against newly-promoted Villa, we were down within nine minutes as John McGinn struck on the break.
Our opposition then sat in, thwarting our every advance. Villa laid their bodies on the line to defend their lead, and even if we did breach their defence, goalkeeper Tom Heaton was producing the spectacular between the sticks with his sprawling reflexes.

But, on 73 minutes, when Tanguy Ndombele strode up and beautifully caressed the ball into the corner of Heaton’s net from distance for 1-1, the atmosphere transformed.
“It is the mental switch in those moments,” our number 16 admitted. “We were knocking on the door and you start getting frustrated, but we just kept going.

“Of course, it was a tough game going down 1-0 as early as we did but with the help of the crowd and with the quality we have in our side, we managed to overcome the obstacle.
“To finally get that equaliser, it takes a lot of pressure off and you almost feel then like the second one is coming - and that winner came very quickly.”

The full interview...

The relief was palpable, the noise deafening. Euphoria reverberated around our new home on Saturday evening as Harry Kane wheeled away after firing us in front late on against Aston Villa.
Having been frustrated for over an hour by a dogged and resilient Villa outfit, we had finally found the lead. But, as the stadium erupted, the crowd leaping in ecstasy, Kyle Walker-Peters slumped to the turf in a heap.

It was an emotional moment for the 22-year-old. We had eventually overcome Dean Smith’s side after they had put up such a strong defence throughout the game - much like how Kyle has battled on in his career, progressing from the youth system to challenge for a place in our first-team.
Having grown up in the shadows of White Hart Lane, this club means a lot to the defender - emotion that was clear to see in the moments that followed Harry’s 86th-minute goal.

“I was just thinking about how much I love Harry (Kane)!” the full-back smiled, recalling his reaction to our number 10's first goal at our new stadium - his second wrapped up the 3-1 win soon after.

“Honestly, I could have cried on the pitch. It was that sort of emotion as the goal went in.
“When that goal goes in, you just think about everything you have been through to get here; everything I have been through on my journey to getting into the first-team and finally getting more and more opportunities as the gaffer is showing that trust in me.

“And, growing up in Tottenham, I just love the Club, so those moments mean just that little bit extra. You can’t control these emotions, it just happens. Everything just builds up in you - especially in that game.
“In terms of my career, that match was very important to me. I have to prove to the staff here and prove to the fans that I am ready to play in important games, help the team and hopefully be a part of a successful season.”

Frustrations had built-up throughout the game. Having started off brightly against newly-promoted Villa, we were down within nine minutes as John McGinn struck on the break.
Our opposition then sat in, thwarting our every advance. Villa laid their bodies on the line to defend their lead, and even if we did breach their defence, goalkeeper Tom Heaton was producing the spectacular between the sticks with his sprawling reflexes.

But, on 73 minutes, when Tanguy Ndombele strode up and beautifully caressed the ball into the corner of Heaton’s net from distance for 1-1, the atmosphere transformed.
“It is the mental switch in those moments,” our number 16 admitted. “We were knocking on the door and you start getting frustrated, but we just kept going.

“Of course, it was a tough game going down 1-0 as early as we did but with the help of the crowd and with the quality we have in our side, we managed to overcome the obstacle.
“To finally get that equaliser, it takes a lot of pressure off and you almost feel then like the second one is coming - and that winner came very quickly.”

Having players that feel the same way about the club as we do is so important. Same vibe I get from Winks, Kane and Skipp. It gives players that little bit extra when it matters.

I really hope he makes the step up. Yiddo!

I don't see what people see in Aurier. He often looks lazy when he has to track back, can be rash in the tackle and therefore gets left for dead and his crossing is poor. He has some incredible games and moments but very inconsistent; I don't think there's a great deal between him and KWP.

You are probably right. I don't think there's a great between them either. From what I've seen, KWP is a better attacker and Aurier is a better defender. Either of them is likely to get torched by Man City which is why we should've bought a RB.

Thought he defended Sterling as well as I've seen anyone defend him over the last 12 months.

Few times he obviously lost his marker, as defenders do, but I think he'd be happy with his overall performance. Certainly not our worst defender nor anywhere our worst player.

Games like this will hopefully only make him better. Not sure why Poch decided to play with narrow full backs today but hopefully it's not something we do often. It doesn't get the best out of them.

Thought he defended Sterling as well as I've seen anyone defend him over the last 12 months.

Few times he obviously lost his marker, as defenders do, but I think he'd be happy with his overall performance. Certainly not our worst defender nor anywhere our worst player.

Games like this will hopefully only make him better. Not sure why Poch decided to play with narrow full backs today but hopefully it's not something we do often. It doesn't get the best out of them.

Oh come on, he was awful, predictably so. We've probably compromised our entire season by not buying a right back.

Awful is a bit harsh.

Considering he was better than Rose. Again. For the second week running.

Or are we in agreement that Rose isn't good enough?

Had a good game today, not the easiest of circumstances but he ploughed on through.
He stuck with it and will hopefully be better for the experience.

Or are we in agreement that Rose isn't good enough?

Last week KWP was better than Rose because KWP was very good.

This week it was because Rose was shit.

Rose is a great player, this will not be the norm for him.

KWP kinda seems like just a guy. But that's an upgrade on what Trips was giving us for much of last season.

Clearly watching a different game/player to the majority of us.

At the point now where KWP could get an assist and a winner in the NLD and he'd be picked up by certain posters for being out of position in the 64th minute.

A bit like how certain players get back handed compliments despite scoring and assisting today.

At the point now where KWP could get an assist and a winner in the NLD and he'd be picked up by certain posters for being out of position in the 64th minute.

A bit like how certain players get back handed compliments despite scoring and assisting today.

Don't think that's true.

We are in a situation of extremes with KWP now.

My two cents is that he loses his man often and we are very vulnerable to teams hitting the back post due to KWP's sometimes poor positional sense and ball watching.

Equally when the play comes down his flank he's very good sticks to the task tracks his man and times the tackle well more often than not.

Whatever way you look at it, it's a huge risk to have KWP as our first choice RB this season.

We should celebrate the point but also lament the performance. It was probably a 4-0 defeat performance. City's biggest problem was that it was just too easy for them. They cruised through a lot of the game when they probably could have put it to bed quite early. You can pick out various stats to try and push an agenda for such and such player but what does that achieve? We were hideously out played and very few players or Poch came out of it with much credit.

Back
Top Bottom