Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He needed this experience. Positive he should take is he kept going and didn't buckle when he made a mistake or the City attacker got the better of him. They're all top class attackers who trouble the best. He made some very crucial tackles in the second half in the box. Just keep learning and progressing. Next week is a different test because he'll be asked to do a lot more in attack. For someone who has only played 20 odd times in his career at age 22 you have to give him time.

Not really sure what all the KWP hate is about. He got completely done a couple of times by Sterling (who doesn't), and looked to me like City planned on attacking his side of the pitch early on.
His pace saved us on numerous occasions, he made some big blocks, and seems confident and careful making challenges in the box. City then seemed to switch their focus over to Rose, who I felt had a very poor game for his standards - and he is an experienced defender at an age where you won't expect much improvement if he hasn't already hit his peak.

KWP had his faults today, and he had his positives. At least he has years of development and progress ahead of him, and feel he is far better than Rose was at that age even if he hadn't been changed to a full back by then.

That will likely be his hardest test this season in any competition, and for me he came away with a 6 or 7/10.

Well played lad. Put in a proper shift and did good.

He was not good today - but who was?
We don't play Manchester City every week. Most weeks we play inferior opponents.
Can't say I am KWP's biggest fan but maybe he can be an effective player for us.
Can't wait for Aurier to leave.

Not really sure what all the KWP hate is about. He got completely done a couple of times by Sterling (who doesn't), and looked to me like City planned on attacking his side of the pitch early on.
His pace saved us on numerous occasions, he made some big blocks, and seems confident and careful making challenges in the box. City then seemed to switch their focus over to Rose, who I felt had a very poor game for his standards - and he is an experienced defender at an age where you won't expect much improvement if he hasn't already hit his peak.

KWP had his faults today, and he had his positives. At least he has years of development and progress ahead of him, and feel he is far better than Rose was at that age even if he hadn't been changed to a full back by then.

That will likely be his hardest test this season in any competition, and for me he came away with a 6 or 7/10.

Well played lad. Put in a proper shift and did good.

Because he didn't cost £20m.

I agree with your post. I've always rated him coming through the ranks so when Trippier left I was actually hoping we didn't buy a RB so he and Aurier can battle it out (I like SA too). But some of our fans I guess saw Utd snap up AWB and think Levy is taking the cheap route again, forgetting AWB only has 50 odd games under his belt and cost that much because he was given a chance to play.

It was a mixed performance. His positioning wasn’t great and Sterling got the better of him a few times, but Sterling is a great player and KDB’s cross was insane. He also made a terrible pass to Winks that resulted in a turnover which fortunately turned into nothing but City could’ve been in.

On the other hand, his 1 on 1 defending was pretty good. He was far from the worst player in a Spurs shirt today.

We should celebrate the point but also lament the performance. It was probably a 4-0 defeat performance. City's biggest problem was that it was just too easy for them. They cruised through a lot of the game when they probably could have put it to bed quite early. You can pick out various stats to try and push an agenda for such and such player but what does that achieve? We were hideously out played and very few players or Poch came out of it with much credit.
Have to agree tbh-we were shocking today.

From the sounds of it, he did as well as any full back that comes up against Stirling. He needs to be given game time to gain experience; if after that, he doesn't show the right level of competency, then we can look at replacing him. But give him a chance, he loves our club and I'd rather have him than a journeyman who doesn't give a toss.

Not at all sure what game some people were watching, but then we all know that there are a number of posters on here with massive agendas, KWP was arguably our best defender over 90 minutes. Did he get done by Sterling? yes he did at least twice badly over 90 minutes, show me a right back this season that Sterling won't do that to. However for the vast majority of the 90 minutes his pace and positioning saw him keep one of the best, on form attacking wide men pretty well contained.

If you look at all the numbers City attacked far more down the Rose side than the KWP side De Bruyne, who is just feckin' brilliant, moved to support Silva as the game progressed because that worked better for City than attacking KWP.

Did he struggle? of course he did but he battled through what will probably be his toughest test of the season and came out fighting ... well played lad

Thought he done well, one gripe and I'm sure it comes from poch is our fullbacks over tuck and pick up the forward instead of the centre halfs taking responsibility

For some reason Poch opted for our full backs to play narrow today which gave Sterling in particular alot of space.

He has very good skill and dribbling however he just does not seem strong enough. Late in the second half Sterling tackled and virtually ran over him, there will always be players that are at least as physical as Sterling in our big games. Not sure if this can improve or will always be an issue.

I’m happy to give him a good run this season, and I have no doubt he will improve. I think the frustration with KWP that a lot of us have isn’t actually down to him. It’s more the fact that we didn’t go out and actually get a top class right back that was ready to take us forward right now.

He may grow in to one, and I hope this is his break out season I really do, but my gut tells me he is never going to be an elite level player. That’s just my honest opinion.

Also a lot of people have said that sterling will do every single RB in the league. I bet when he comes up against AWB sterling is kept quiet.

I also have a strong feeling that Foyth is poch’s number one choice there, so we will see what happens when he is fit.

The only positive about our situation is that we have two young players vying for one spot, odds are one of them will end up breaking out and making the position their own.

I thought he did okay, was much better in the first half but he is playing against one of the best wingers in the world at the moment. I think Poch played him narrow to prevent them playing those vertical balls between full back and centre back that they like to play. Think too many people on here love a scapegoat (which is a very Woolwich fan trait tbh). When we are bad they will look at our perceived 'weakest' player and blame him. Happened with Sissoko, happened last season with Trips.

I think he is being groomed this season to be a back up on the same level as Davies where he can come in and not weaken the team at all. I reckon we looked for a RB but nothing took our fancy and we were not too worried about playing KWP and Aurier out there for a season rather than buying another RB on that sort of level.

Back
Top Bottom