Jack Clarke

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ahhh here we go... no one likes a Billy big Bollocks... especially Northern lads once one of their own has moved dahn Sarf to that there London!

No wonder they're bitter!!

He wasn't. He was only coming on for a few minutes at the end of games.
He's an 18 yo prospect.
Thing is he's our 18 year old prospect, not Leeds's. He needs to be somewhere he can develop before returning to us, in an environment that will nurture him, as Dele had at MKD. There's no point in him being a bit part loan player at Leeds...

Leeds supporters still consider themselves a big club and will not look favourably at someone who leaves and then comes back on loan.
I think it's more to do with Bielsa having lots of loan options who he can maybe use again next season and JC - he can't.
He's a promising player. The worst that can happen is he doesn't get any games and we loan him somewhere else in January.

Best mate of mine was in the ground tonight and said he was a shadow of the player last season, hauled off

Hopefully gets more minutes soon

The fact Jack was 1 of the 3 just doesn't seem great though. I know he's exceptionally young but he was still a very big part of the first team picture last season.

Last season he made 4 starts (and subbed in 3 of them) in Championship and off the bench 20 times notching up a total of 806 minutes ( equivalent of a little under 9 matches) plus had one 90 minute appearance in the FA cup.

So a big part - no, but a promising start last season ,- yes

Anybody know if Poch really wanted him? Or is he an investment from Levy?

From the Guardian:

“To Daniel Levy, the numbers added up, and to Jack Clarke, the 18-year-old Leeds winger, it was a dream move, the chance to continue his development at Tottenham in the Premier League. Levy had been alerted to Clarke’s potential by statistical analysis of his performances last season and, at a cost of around £10m rising to £11.5m, the Spurs chairman felt it all made sense.

Levy closed the deal at the end of June but there would be one problem: Mauricio Pochettino did not want Clarke in his squad this season. Leeds had asked for a loan-back at the beginning of the negotiations only to be told by Levy there was no chance of it happening. It was never on the table and then, all of a sudden, it was.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ttenham-tension-Woolwich-jack-clarke-transfer

Mauricio Pochettino did not want Clarke in his squad this season.

Stuff like this really irks me.

We've bought a player with a handful of games based on a statistical whim that he will come good in the future, and done so against our managers wishes.

£10mil is no small amount (In fact, I'd say we overpaid), that extra money could have pushed the Dybala or Fernandes deals over the line, and instead it's seemingly been wasted on bit-part player in the championship. Perhaps we would have then been willing to accept a cheaper price for Eriksen, instead of seemingly losing him on a free.

Obviously early days for Clarke and no critique to him, but the decision making just doesn't make sense to me, it sometimes feels like Levy is investing in stocks rather than building a football team.

Obviously early days for Clarke and no critique to him, but the decision making just doesn't make sense to me, it sometimes feels like Levy is investing in stocks rather than building a football team.
Maybe he's "investing in Stocks" to raise more money to build the football team??
Or maybe he hasn't got a clue, and thinks he's also playing Football manager!

The only STOCKS some people would like to see Levy involved with, are ones you can throw rotten fruit at... :levyeyes:
...am I right Ladies & Gents? :levystare:

From the Guardian:

“To Daniel Levy, the numbers added up, and to Jack Clarke, the 18-year-old Leeds winger, it was a dream move, the chance to continue his development at Tottenham in the Premier League. Levy had been alerted to Clarke’s potential by statistical analysis of his performances last season and, at a cost of around £10m rising to £11.5m, the Spurs chairman felt it all made sense.

Levy closed the deal at the end of June but there would be one problem: Mauricio Pochettino did not want Clarke in his squad this season. Leeds had asked for a loan-back at the beginning of the negotiations only to be told by Levy there was no chance of it happening. It was never on the table and then, all of a sudden, it was.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ttenham-tension-Woolwich-jack-clarke-transfer

Articles like that are all well and good but without a point of reference (quote) they're just the theory of a journey.

My theory...

DL "So Mauriccio, this Clarke kid....?"
MP (Rings Bielsa)
"Marcello, what's he like?"
MB "Decent... You'll like him"
MP "Ok Dan let's give it a whirl....Probably needs a loan tho"

Last edited:
Maybe he's "investing in Stocks" to raise more money to build the football team??

So we buy young players, train them, make them a centrepiece of the team then sell our star player for a profit, and that's "building a team"? I hope you're happy to use that justification if we ever sell Kane, seems like turning a quick profit to me.

The season after Bale left I didn't hear many people say we were "Building a team".

A football club shouldn't be relying heavily on selling players to build its first team.

Maybe you were joking, I have no idea it's hard to tell on the internet, if so apologies!

So we buy young players, train them, make them a centrepiece of the team then sell our star player for a profit, and that's "building a team"? I hope you're happy to use that justification if we ever sell Kane, seems like turning a quick profit to me.

The season after Bale left I didn't hear many people say we were "Building a team".

A football club shouldn't be relying heavily on selling players to build its first team.

Maybe you were joking, I have no idea it's hard to tell on the internet, if so apologies!

Talking of "joking".....

Clarke to Bale is quite the leap of context.... :pocheyes:

....Implying Clarke (or 90% of our signings for that matter) is/are on course to be a "centrepiece" of out team is disingenuous as fuck!

Like it or not, buying with an eye on sell-on value has very much helped us incrementally increase the average amount we spend on players whilst simultaneously funding a new stadium. Acknowledging this doesn't amount to wanting Kane sold. That's just silly talk!

We've bought a player with a handful of games based on a statistical whim that he will come good in the future, and done so against our managers wishes.

£10mil is no small amount (In fact, I'd say we overpaid), that extra money could have pushed the Dybala or Fernandes deals over the line, and instead it's seemingly been wasted on bit-part player in the championship. Perhaps we would have then been willing to accept a cheaper price for Eriksen, instead of seemingly losing him on a free.

It wouldn't have changed a single thing about Dybala, we had a deal agreed with Juve. The issue is the 3rd part ownership on his image rights, NO OTHER CLUB HAS FOUND A SOLUTION TO IT YET.

No one made a bid for Eriksen, (well Utd wanted him but he point black didn't want to go there) clubs are waiting for him to be available on a free (or nominal fee in Jan).

Back to Clarke:
£10m would be about the right price for an 18yr old English prospect.

Everyone saying that he's "billy big bollocks now" since signing for us, well maybe Leeds actually don't give a fuck about him now and would far rather invest their time in developing a player that belongs to them, where they can erm, you know add more value to the own stable of players. Imagine if that were the case, just how Clarke might be feeling left out in the cold? That would fucking piss me off no end.

Just a thought.

So we buy young players, train them, make them a centrepiece of the team then sell our star player for a profit, and that's "building a team"?
I only ever joke on the interwebs... except in the first few hours after we've lost... then I'm DEADLY SERIOUS!

Football.London also reported today that Clarke has been named in Tottenham’s Premier League B squad, which could indicate that they’re preparing to bring him back to north London.

Spurs have named George Marsh (loan to Orient) and Kaziah Sterling (loan to Doncaster) on the u21 list as well as Jack Clarke. Certainly doesn't imply they are coming back to Spurs, just that they are contracted to us and the loans are until January, not the whole season.

Likewise Anthony Georgiou (on loan at Ipswich) is included in the main squad list for similar reasons - again on loan for 6 months only

Back
Top Bottom