Jack Clarke

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stuff like this really irks me.

We've bought a player with a handful of games based on a statistical whim that he will come good in the future, and done so against our managers wishes.

£10mil is no small amount (In fact, I'd say we overpaid), that extra money could have pushed the Dybala or Fernandes deals over the line, and instead it's seemingly been wasted on bit-part player in the championship. Perhaps we would have then been willing to accept a cheaper price for Eriksen, instead of seemingly losing him on a free.

Obviously early days for Clarke and no critique to him, but the decision making just doesn't make sense to me, it sometimes feels like Levy is investing in stocks rather than building a football team.

There’s nothing wrong with taking a punt on a cheap youngster, sometimes you get a Dele and sometimes you get an Nkoudou. I think Dele’s signing was similar to Clarke in that it wasn’t driven by Poch but was pushed more by the scouting department. Let’s just wait and see how the kid turns out.

There’s nothing wrong with taking a punt on a cheap youngster, sometimes you get a Dele and sometimes you get an Nkoudou. I think Dele’s signing was similar to Clarke in that it wasn’t driven by Poch but was pushed more by the scouting department. Let’s just wait and see how the kid turns out.

It's funny cos we get pelters for not being sharper in scouting Ndobele, Lo Celso, De Ligt and before them Ousman Dembele and many others... Can't win!

I'm not sure we can take credit for scouting Dele, his quality was well known to a number of clubs, we just stumped up the cash. Didn't David Pleat have some involvement if memory serves?

I'm not sure we can take credit for scouting Dele, his quality was well known to a number of clubs, we just stumped up the cash. Didn't David Pleat have some involvement if memory serves?

Think Pleat was one of the main men to push Spurs into the deal.

Liverpool also keen but said Dele we would play u23 football initially. Spurs said he'd train with first team in preseason and get some chances in first team if he did well Of course after his first appearance for first team he was never dropped that season....

Not sure I agree with that. It still takes somebody in the scouting structure to stick their cock on the block and say “he’s the one”.

Remember, we’re talking about the same scouting structure which turned down Suarez because he “wasn’t a striker”.

Whilst some punts should be obvious clubs still dither. At the end of the day, if Dele was so obvious we would have been in a Turkey shoot but the only real challenge was from Pool wasn’t it?

We've bought a player with a handful of games based on a statistical whim that he will come good in the future, and done so against our managers wishes.

£10mil is no small amount (In fact, I'd say we overpaid), that extra money could have pushed the Dybala or Fernandes deals over the line, and instead it's seemingly been wasted on bit-part player in the championship. Perhaps we would have then been willing to accept a cheaper price for Eriksen, instead of seemingly losing him on a free.

Obviously early days for Clarke and no critique to him, but the decision making just doesn't make sense to me, it sometimes feels like Levy is investing in stocks rather than building a football team.
If you think 10 mil is a lot wait until you realize how much we overpaid for Sessegnon.

Jack Clarke came off he bench for his first E u21' cap - in fact first cap as he's not
Ever been called up at earlier England age grouos
He did, it was the Under 20s. I was at the match tonight. Can't see he made a massive impression, but it was a pretty dull game. He did attempt a couple of clever through balls.

What you say is all true and defo an extra £10 million might have got us Dyabla or Fernandes. It's a good post and you make a very good point.

The only thing I would say though is that people are making fortunes out of the statistical analysis of football. For example the owner of Brighton has made untold money out of it.

I was surprised that the reason Fergie sold Jaap Stam was because of statistics - never realised it has been going on for so long.

Enjoy the weekend !

Not to over-analyze an U20 England goal, but good to see him go in with his head. Can’t count the amount of times players try to kick that in and make a hash of it.

From the Guardian:

“To Daniel Levy, the numbers added up, and to Jack Clarke, the 18-year-old Leeds winger, it was a dream move, the chance to continue his development at Tottenham in the Premier League. Levy had been alerted to Clarke’s potential by statistical analysis of his performances last season and, at a cost of around £10m rising to £11.5m, the Spurs chairman felt it all made sense.

Levy closed the deal at the end of June but there would be one problem: Mauricio Pochettino did not want Clarke in his squad this season. Leeds had asked for a loan-back at the beginning of the negotiations only to be told by Levy there was no chance of it happening. It was never on the table and then, all of a sudden, it was.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ttenham-tension-Woolwich-jack-clarke-transfer

Thats so odd. I would have bet, that it has to do with the connection of Bielsa and Pochettino. Both the acquisition and the loan back. Seems to just be a coincidence than.

Thats so odd. I would have bet, that it has to do with the connection of Bielsa and Pochettino. Both the acquisition and the loan back. Seems to just be a coincidence than.

.....Or just a bullshit source-less article.

.....Or just a bullshit source-less article.

Why does every article have to have a source? Back at the start of the summer there were no "sources" explicitly cited saying we wanted to sign Clarke but the story was everywhere. People at the club, including Levy himself, talk to journalists and keep them informed of what we are doing. Briefings like that are the bread and butter of the football world.

If Poch wanted Clarke in the squad, he would be in the squad. He chose to send him away. Reputable outlets like the Guardian and journalists like Daniel Hytner don't just make stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom