Inter Milan H Sun 4 Aug 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This new goal kick rule...
We seem to think it's obligatory to take the kick short, which to my mind is really daft. Attacking players just rush at us, creating all sorts of pressure and kerfuffle in the box. It's only a matter of time before a goal will be conceded.
On one occasion today, we fannied about with the ball in the box, then tried to pass it out, but it went straight to one of their players and they were on us like a rash.
On other occasions, Loris took the kick short, the receiving player was forced to return it to Loris, who proceeded to lump it blindly upfield. Why the hell didn't he just take a proper goal kick, hopefully towards one of our team?

Strategies for this new rule need to be thought through a bit more carefully than they have been so far.

Most exciting thing for anyone who saw or heard it was my bottle of (red) smoothie exploding when I opened it outside on Park Lane all over my white shirt.
Had a navy tshirt on underneath so could take it off but freaked the security out when she saw it in my hand on the way in and had to explain it wasn't blood...

Not the best match - but that's to be expected from a meaningless friendly a week before season kickoff. Personally I used it as an excuse to take my wife (13 years since last WHL visit) and 7yr old daughter (first visit) to a match.

My little girl really enjoyed it despite a (very) quiet atmosphere and the penalty loss. She wants to come again, so job done as far as I'm concerned. Not many opportunities to take small kids (non-members) during the season so gotta take them when they come.

Had to laugh at Lamela, playing this friendly like a man possessed - including his lunging windmill tackles.

Really impressed with Walker-Peters so far. He even looks a yard of pace faster - maybe because he's playing with more confidence and less fear going forward.

The number of times these Italians have left something on him is probably a good review.

Edit: FFS he switches off to contribute to their equaliser as I type that.
:pochfacepalm:

Winks is a very likeable, tidy and technically good player but he has got to take more risks with his passing, there are times when there is a more incisive pass available and he rejects making it and chooses a safer option.

A little tired of our players working the ball nicely to the sides of the box, only to twat a hard ball along the ground that either:

- never has a chance of reaching our players in the middle
- smacks the intended player so hard that they have no chance of controlling it to get a shot away

I'm all for more avoiding endless crosses to Kane's head, but this approach also seems very hit and hope
:avbshit:
Missing another playmaker in the final third. Swap GLC for Sissoko and it’s a very different first half.

Judging from what I saw Eriksen will be on the bench for the foreseeable future, the difference in commitment between him and Lamela was striking. We really need to sign a new attacking midfielder to protect ourselves, we cannot rely solely on a distracted Eriksen this season.

I could be totally wrong with this observation, but interested to see what others think.

Anyone else get an impression that Poch could be losing a small bit of interest? Not only this game, but in pretty much all pre season games on the line to me he has just looked almost like he couldn't really give a shit. Just really subdued.

Coupled with his very prickly pressers etc and it really is hard to shake the feeling this is very probably his last season with us.

I could be totally wrong with this observation, but interested to see what others think.

Anyone else get an impression that Poch could be losing a small bit of interest? Not only this game, but in pretty much all pre season games on the line to me he has just looked almost like he couldn't really give a shit. Just really subdued.

Coupled with his very prickly pressers etc and it really is hard to shake the feeling this is very probably his last season with us.

If that’s the case, and I say this as someone who loves the fella, he should just fuck off. I’m getting more than a bit bored of this narrative that Poch is *owed* something by us. He gets a fabulous wage and is given realistic targets.

If it’s such a chore managing us then enjoy the wonders of Real when he gets sacked after 8 months for not delivering the moon on a stick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom