Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
Also, as I think about it, I think he is a really good fit for us.
We demand an attacking team, well thats how he sets up.
We need a more tactical framework underpinning that, which is exactly how he is credited.
He needs an opportunity, for a young coach there are few better than Spurs
He has a lot of the same ideals as LVG - but is much less volatile, and being younger offers possible longevity LVG doesnt.
He has a certain gravitas which previous managers just dont have. His reputation is excellent.
He leans to a 433 (I believe) and IMO our squad is set up well to suit him / him suit us.
He is credited with developing youth - something the club is desperate for
He already has an excellent relationship with two of our most important players, which could be vital in getting him off to a good start.
He is (theoretically) available at the end of the season, not at the end of July.
If we got him in I think Id be quite excited at the prospect.

Were getting Capello.

I've already told you that.

With Young-Pyo as assistant?

upmain.jpg

How can you have a discussion about Rodgers. Bloke turns a mediocre sub top team into a well oiled machine that rapes your whole league with allout attacking footbal. Makes Suarez behave, Sturridge is your best player for the WC. Henderson is brilliant. Coutinho rivals Ozil...Hardly ever heard of these guys before

What should he do to be considered a good manager? Be a dick in the media?

What are the chances we can actually pull in a Capello or LVG?
And what are the chances we can get one who isnt on the downslope career wise?
Very, very slim IMO.

Personally I think we need to try and find 'the next' Capello/LVG level manager.

Looking at it I think there was a lot to like about AVB, a lot that appealed - but FDB is all of that and more.
He is the young snappy dressing manager
A football thinker with a comittment to a style of play
Very well thought of in the footballing world
Available (!)
and then...

He had an exceptional playing career which players will respect.
He has not had 1 good season, but 4 titles in a row.
he has worked in youth coaching, he knows how to develop players and how to bring them into the team.
He has had a couple of superb "masters" in his coaching apprenticeship.
He is a lot more experienced, a lot more rounded - and he needs an opportunity.

It could all go wrong, most Spurs appointments do - but what if it went well?

Its ON!

Sloppy translating of the quotes of FDB:

De Boer talked to the NOS (Dutch 'BBC'). It states he will seriously think about moving to Tottenham Hotspur. "The English have contacted Marc Overmars (technical director at Ajax). I will think about it after the last competition match on May 3", according to the manager. "I will talk and listen. After that, i will let my feelings speak".

Edit:
"I want to add something to a club," said the coach. "That people can say that they see the hand of Frank de Boer. Liverpool is a good example of this. Like Brendan Rodgers is doing it now, for example." AS Monaco was also mentioned: "But that means nothing to me. Monaco has already arrived as a club", said De Boer. He can work together with Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen, who went from Ajax to the Spurs again at Tottenham

Last edited:
"I will talk and I will listen" + "I will want to make sure people can say this is a club under the hand of Frank De Boer"
Let's then hope that if he gets the job, Levy has learnt from what happened with AVB that he will need to give FDB more control... Otherwise it's just gonna end up being the exact same story..

Can get him in after he wins the title again, not that we care but its a smooth break as Bergkamp takes over at Ajax with little disruption. That means we can get him in EARLY to get feet under table and deal with all the players not going to the world cup.

He is not scared of going out of his comfort zone having played in Scotland and Middle East, been a winner in most places he has gone, is properly connected with people throughout Europe, of course there are always massive chances to fail at Tottenham but I am sure he is young enough, hungry enough to take our squad by the balls and give Tottenham and the premier league a go, a good size club for him after Ajax and we can get him on a 3yr + deal initially

PLUS HE KNOWS HOW TO PLAY LEFT BACK OR WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY THERE! Give him a shirt!

Last edited:
Im getting the "its on!" vibe but it is by no means certain.
He could just as easily be announcing his availability as it seems LVG was...

That said, I think we can offer him what he needs, I think he can offer us what we need - all in all its a really good fit
I liked the way he's said he'd rather go to a Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle type club (describing them as sleeping giants) rather than a quick fix like Monaco who are also keen. Suggests his mentality is in the right place.

Also, it means Eriksen will be number 10. As he should be all season long.

I'm a goddam boarding school, I finish my exams in 14 days, cut me some slack..... I really shouldn't be on here.

And the song had already been decided, Timber by Kesha and Pitbull.

"He's getting sacked..
I'm yelling Timmeh!
You better move, you better pack,
We've got a man,
He comes from Holland,
His name is Frank,
He's Frank be Boer!"

We've reached a point where anyone we appoint will not be accepted by a large swath of fans. The expectations that people have are absolutely ludicrous. Ancelotti and Martinez? Rodgers is average? At what point did we become one of the world's biggest clubs? Temper your expectations.

Back
Top Bottom