Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
I'm just not sure about this, someone tell me why he would be so amazing compared to past managers? From my point of view he's had a good playing career and now a fantastic record with the one team he's managed, am I right in saying he's never managed another team though? Isn't that a downfall?

We all know about the shortfalls of employing someone who has had some success at inferior level competitions whether that be Ramos - UEFA cup, or AVB with Porto. I'd much rather go for someone who has had success with several teams or at least managed several teams at high level. This is why I was keen on LVG, having managed some of the top sides in the world and a massive amount of experience with various clubs/competitions.

As soon as FdB has a bad run people are going to be on his back, pointing out his relative lack of experience and the fact he only won the less competitive Eredivisie. With a manager like Capello, LVG, Benitez etc we couldn't question them on those things at least (know people will always find something to pick on).

If he wants to come to Tottenham to build something worthwhile as he appears to be saying, then pay him what it takes, get behind him and let him get on with on it. I think he's exactly what our players need. 112 international caps and/or a fast start in management might not necessarily mean much in isolation, but he's gone from winning on the pitch to winning off it without seeming to break stride. He should have their immediate respect. From FdB's side he would inherit a young, undoubtably talented squad with which to establish a coherent system where players roles are clearly defined to themselves and to each other. That obviously hasn't been the case this season, but why shouldn't he bring that about pretty quickly? They are good players, he's a good coach/manager who knows how he wants his teams to play. It's only my opinion of course, but it just feels like a good match.
If the rumours are true, and he is going to talk to the club, Levy will have to convince him that the board will back him in trying to taking us forward. If he can, which might not be easy, and he does commit to Tottenham, then I confidently predict 7 years of unbroken success, culminating in our Champions League victory (after 3 titles and 4 FA Cups) beating Real Madrid 4-1 in the Bernabau, (Bale 2 o.g.) in the 2022 final. That ain't gonna happen either.

Last edited:
Not sure how reliable this is but:

Imagine how sick it would make the scum feel if Bergkamp was our assistant manager. I don't know how happy I would be though, supposedly a spurs fan though?

Sorry to piss on the circle-jerk here - but how is this man any better than AVB?

Young, largely unproven hipster kind who's been desperately trying to drum-up (potentially non-existent?) interest from a PL club?

Didn't we establish the club needs a proven, experienced name with solid track record and an actual spine, as opposed to the latest coat-wearing youngster whom we'd want sacked after 2 losses and a draw anyway?

Not my first choice by a long shot although far better than Pocchetino, imv - granted

Sorry to piss on the circle-jerk here - but how is this man any better than AVB?

Maybe he isn't better then AvB, but he is very different imo.

• AvB won the Portuguese League in his first and only season. (Cup and UEFA final as well)

• FdB:
- won the Eredivisie 4 times ... In a row.
- 2 times KNVB Cup
- 2 times the Johan Cruijf cup
- Is actually a well respected footballer.
- Knows how to use Eriksen and Verts at best.

Last edited:

• AvB won the Portuguese in his first and only season. (Cup and UEFA final as well)

• FdB:
- 2 times KNVB Cup

The last two points really stand out and we need the above two players at their best.

82341.jpg
I'd take Pochettino. Look at that for a player-coach relationship.

• AvB won the Portuguese in his first and only season. (Cup and UEFA final as well)

• FdB:
- 2 times KNVB Cup

Plus, during the 2010 World Cup, he was the assistant of the Netherlands national football team under Bert van Marwijk - they had 100% win rate until they finished 2nd...

Plus, during the 2010 World Cup, he was the assistant of the Netherlands national football team under Bert van Marwijk - they had 100% win rate until they finished 2nd...

As well as the fact he worked with youth as well, knows how to develop players.

Coping with the loses of Eriksen and Vertonghen with academy products is very impressive, no matter what league you are in.

Young, largely unproven hipster kind who's been desperately trying to drum-up (potentially non-existent?) interest from a PL club?

Didn't we establish the club needs a proven, experienced name with solid track record and an actual spine, as opposed to the latest coat-wearing youngster whom we'd want sacked after 2 losses and a draw anyway?

Not my first choice by a long shot although far better than Pocchetino, imv - granted
The problem is, can anyone think of a proven, experienced name that is available and would be interested in taking the job at this point that WE would actually be interested in as well? I can't really disagree that there are more experienced managers out there, but I just don't know who else would be in our sights.

He has kicked a football in his time. For me he starts a better place then AVB on the road to coaching maturity. He has to be better, if not the short time, over the longer period.

The guy has a reputation for playing sexy football, and his Ajax side has routinely upset powerhouse sides in the CL season after season.

Good enough for me, and that's before figuring his relationship with Eriksen and Vertonghen.

The problem is, can anyone think of a proven, experienced name that is available and would be interested in taking the job at this point that WE would actually be interested in as well? I can't really disagree that there are more experienced managers out there, but I just don't know who else would be in our sights.
article-1258207-08B95A11000005DC-415_468x286.jpg

He has kicked a football in his time. For me he starts a better place then AVB on the road to coaching maturity. He has to be better, if not the short time, over the longer period.

That bloke at Chelsea hasn't done too badly for not kicking a ball. Parreira either. Sacchi. Roux.

Back
Top Bottom