Easiest premier league start ever?? (For Tottenham)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We could probably have had a tougher start but you can only play the teams put in front of you.
Do I win £10 for least controversial observation and oldest cliche?

You win our respect.

And we could definitely have had a tougher start. I don’t think people appreciate how bad the teams are doing at the bottom.

Or maybe they underestimate teams like Villa, Brighton and Newcastle - dare I say it even West Ham seem to be harder to beat this season. That has to be a glitch in the matrix.

The whole tough league cliche is looking anything but.

Ok. Last 8 games.

Make your points predictions here.

This originally started as a discussion with a woolwich supporting acquaintance and my using the term “bottlers”
My point being I think our start was easier and our finish is harder than theirs last season.
I think we have overperformed to date and as our carabao exit showed our squad is relatively thin.
And the bottom 6 have been absolutely awful. United and Chelsea are both performing as mid table teams over the first 8. Not the forces they once were.
Playing 9 man Liverpool is IMHO easier than playing 11 man Liverpool. if every game we played 9 men then I would not be complaining one bit

Obviously you lot don’t agree with these statements in the main. Liverpool being a hard fixture this season especially.

And I’m not expecting us to win the league. Top 5 would be a good season from my point of view even at this point- I know others expect top 4 as a minimum now.
Maybe we buy a decent CF or the lad from Forest comes good. But I’ve never watched him play 5 games in a row or seen him in the flesh. I think we lose Son and Maddison we have issues. We definitely will Bissouma when the AFCON is on.

So last 8 games here for you. Can anyone out Nostradamus me????

Personally I think we won’t collapse like Woolwich did. Despite in my opinion having harder games (fixtures may change of course).
You lot as we have discussed think this is more similar In difficultly to our first 8 than I do.

West Ham (a)
Forest (h)
Newcastle (a)
Man City (h)
Woolwich (h)
Liverpool (a)
Burnley (h)
Sheff Utd (a)

(Last 5 games = 3 home and 2 away for those that mentioned our amount of away games to date being a feature)

They are bottling cunts btw.
Exhibit A
15 points from last 10 games. Incredible collapse. Well done lads.

images

giphy.gif

joey-laughing.gif

Exhibit B
9th place over last 10 games.

Embarrassing that they can even call that a title challenge.

2_bottles.jpg

Gooner next door told me we had the easiest start ever.

scum away, dippers and Manure at our place. He has a point

btw scum are shitting themselves.
This narrative is really starting to get up my nose.
Before we played Woolwich and Liverpool we were told that we hadn't played anyone and we would see where we are really at after those games.
Now we've come through those games and the goalposts have moved again.
They just don't want to give us any respect without it being attached to some piss weak excuse.

I think we can challenge IF we can keep our best eleven fit. The squad is piss weak in certain areas due to Me Levy. But if we can keep the key players fit I haven't seen anything that worries me in this division.

I'd love to shut these cunts up come the end of the season.

Probably good for us that we are still being widely disrespected and flying well under the radar for now.

An observation from me, if we were anywhere between 3-6, nobody would be mentioning the fixture list and it's level of difficulty in relation to us, in fact, I reckon most pundits would be saying that we had started really well and were one to watch were that the case.

The fact of us being top jars for many for whatever reason, and they have to try and find a way to caveat it, and put a negative spin on it. I've mentioned already a while ago, going into the season I was quite apprehensive about the fixture list, I genuinely thought there was a good chance of us going into the Sheff Utd game with less than 3 points on the board, and then with a tough couple of fixtures to follow it up.

To look back on our games so far and brush it off as having had easy fixtures is doing us a disservice, realistically there are ~15 sides not as good as us in this league, that's 30 "easy" fixtures over a season, so I suppose 90 points a season should be par for us? No, obviously, that's not how football works.

Away games are tough, how often have we gone long stretches without winning ONE? 12 calendar months under Poch without an away win was it? And how often have we failed to compete head to head against the other top 6 clubs, home or away?

Yet here we sit, having won those away games, having taken 7 from 9 against top 6 rivals to date, and even our own fans are trying to write it off as easy, I really wish we'd known how easy this all was in the previous 28 years of my Spurs supporting life!

I really hope we lift the trophy in May to the sound of Alan Smith on comms drearily saying "yeah but they did have the easier fixtures to be fair...".

That said, I don't really give a fuck what other supporters are saying, we were doing it all last season about Woolwich, thankfully we aren't winning due to copious amounts of jam like they were. It is weird how nobody else ever seemed to mention it about them than us though, whereas this year it feels like it's a thing that all other supporters are levelling at us.

Fact is that we've had a decent run of fixtures in the first quarter of the season. Woolwich had an even easier run in the first half of last season, and arguably similar this season.

It does help. It does build momentum, but it doesn't change the fact that you still play everyone home and away every season and, as Woolwich found out, getting most of the tougher fixtures from Feb/March onwards is a massive challenge.

I certainly fancy Ange to have more mental toughness than Arteta when things get tough. He doesn't sound like Zed from Police Academy for starters.

So from game week 1-10, the Woolwich Wanderers have the easiest fixtures, followed by Liverpool and then us. Hilarious.
1-9 shows ;

Woolwich+
Manchester United+
Liverpool+
Manchester City+
Tottenham Hotspur+
Brentford+
Newcastle United+
Aston Villa+
Chelsea+
Brighton and Hove Albion

Fact is that we've had a decent run of fixtures in the first quarter of the season.

Steady on there. It’s almost like heresy to point this out.

We’ve played 6 out of the bottom 8 teams in our first 9 games. I don’t think woolwich got that easy a run last season. When I get some time will get compare.
Bottom 4 this season - 56GD between them. They are absolutely awful.

But halfway point of the season will show us all where we really are. Let’s hope we are still top at Christmas. Game on then.

Anyway thanks to this thread and subsequent death threats I’ve had to go into hiding under an assumed identity.
Was hoping this thread would die out and the Colombian hitmen would leave me alone.

Need to shift continents again now.

When looking at comparable fixtures last season for the eventual top 5;
(Burnley = Leicester, Sheff Utd = Leeds, Luton = Soton, Opponent = Spurs)

City = 24 pts
Woolwich = 25 pts
Man Utd = 18 pts
Newcastle = 19 pts
Liverpool = 13 pts
22/23 Spurs = 12 pts

Compared with our 23 pts this season.

There is a clear gap from how the 1st-2nd & 3rd-5th placed teams performed against the equivalent opponents. This is what scares rivals, and this is why we are making comparisons to teams that achieved 80 odd points and title challenged.

Yes everyone plays the same, 'easier' fixtures. Few will get 20+ points.
Whatever way people try and spin it - we just look good.

Another perspective:

Suppose you subbed in our results this season to date vs Woolwich, Liverpool and Man U., for the equivalent fixtures last season ... we would have got 67 points and finished on the same points as Liverpool (who would beat us to 5th on GD)

Still would have an utterly depressing season of course

Also reinforces the point that those saying "Top 5 would be good" are not ambitous enough. We should be getting a top 3-4 finish with this team, and if injuries/Jan window are kind to us, it's certainly possible we could be in the mix for the title come April.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom