Easiest premier league start ever?? (For Tottenham)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

we are 8 points up on exactly the same fixtures as last year, swapping in promoted for relegated teams.
I don't care if it's seen as an easy start, you still have to do the business and we've improved on last year.
I don't particularly think it is easy anyway, It would be a hard start if we had a bad mentality and manager. We just happen to have a good manager now and a better mentality which maybe has made it look easier than it is.
Regardless everyone has to play everyone and it all evens up in the end. I don't think anyone around has had that much of an easier or harder start than us.

Who determine what's easy?

Did Man Utd count as easy when we consider their performances up to today? Or do we base on last seasons finishing position of 3rd?

For opponents, what are Tottenham seen as on the easy match ups barometer when determining the easy fixture list? This seasons form? 8th placed Spurs?

Who determine what's easy?

Did Man Utd count as easy when we consider their performances up to today? Or do we base on last seasons finishing position of 3rd?

For opponents, what are Tottenham seen as on the easy match ups barometer when determining the easy fixture list? This seasons form? 8th placed Spurs?

Anybody using our 8th place finish last season under a different manager with different players playing a different system as a point of reference is fucking weird.

From my point of view if right now we reversed the table/matches played - and assumed our points tally remained 23 - we would have played 9 games to date against the below.

2nd City (h)
3rd woolwich (a)
4th Liverpool (a)
5th Villa (h)
8th United (a)
9th West Ham (h)
13th Fulham (h)
17th luton (h)
18th Burnley (a)

Then I came on here saying I thought we had a very hard start to this campaign. Probably our hardest start ever in the premier league. Woolwich, Liverpool, United away. All ticked off the list.
City and Villa both had decent starts. Good home wins for us there. Definitely not easy.

Played most of the top 10 teams already and it’s not even November. Definitely got some easier games coming up in our next 9.

The overall replies would be - “no mate. It’s been quite normal . Pretty standard actually - same as most other teams. I don’t think it’s been that hard”.

“What the fuck are you talking about Matthews you trolling cunt?? “

Then cue disagrees galore.

Mentalists.

It wasn't the easiest, wasn't the hardest, but was the best

19 disagrees though. Fair play
I'd say its the hardest its ever been. I mean we have Man City who are always the favorites along with

Arse, Pool, Chelksi, Newcastle, AV, Brighton, Manu, West Ham have all become formidable opponents. Back then it was just big 4 now its more like big 6 to 8.....

Fact is that we've had a decent run of fixtures in the first quarter of the season. Woolwich had an even easier run in the first half of last season, and arguably similar this season.

It does help. It does build momentum, but it doesn't change the fact that you still play everyone home and away every season and, as Woolwich found out, getting most of the tougher fixtures from Feb/March onwards is a massive challenge.

I certainly fancy Ange to have more mental toughness than Arteta when things get tough. He doesn't sound like Zed from Police Academy for starters.

'Lego' Zed Bundy

...........Imagine being Spurs and continuing to peddle this shit; doing the media's cuntery for them.

shvrhE.gif

Last edited:
9 matches played, 5 away from home and all games against last seasons 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 15th and 3 newly promoted teams, all who you'd rather play in the middle of the season when adrenalinesimmers down, not at the beginning or the end.

By the end of our 10th game we'll have had 6 away game outweighing our 4 at home. 3 of last seasons top 5 scratched off our list and a best start to a PL season ever for a new manager coming into the league after losing our main man days before the season started.

Yeah, really easy start this campaign has been on paper so far

9 matches played, 5 away from home and all games against last seasons 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th, 15th and 3 newly promoted teams, all who you'd rather play in the middle of the season when adrenalinesimmers down, not at the beginning or the end.

By the end of our 10th game we'll have had 6 away game outweighing our 4 at home. 3 of last seasons top 5 scratched off our list and a best start to a PL season ever for a new manager coming into the league after losing our main man days before the season started.

Yeah, really easy start this campaign has been on paper so far

Why are you talking about last season?

Makes zero sense.

Are palace playing the best team in 1st on Friday or 8th??

I had a survey cancel last minute yesterday and my social media lady had to cancel our PM appointment as well so I had some time to do a bit of a deep dive.

Might look at a couple more random seasons where 1 team ran away with it and one season which was very close.
So took 3 examples. And one other.

This season, last season and Leicester “fairytale” season (as that is a common yardstick to say Leicester did it) to compare after 9 games.

This season top 6 all have GD of at least +10.
Last season 4th place had +3 and 5th place -2.
City already had +24!! They have not even scored that many goals this season.
In 15/16 After 9 games Leicester had +2GD. And were 5th. City were top +16GD

Definitely seems to be an anomaly for a lot of teams having double figure GD at this point.

At the other end. My suspicions that the bottom 4 are absolute pony have been vindicated.

Bottom 4 GD combined after 9 games.

23/24 -56
22/23 -42
15/16 -31
Other point to note how tight the top 5 is this season all with relatively high points. 4 point spread is the lowest compared.

And 6th place Newcastle actually have the best GD on the league too - better than the top 5. Very unusual.

8th place points are higher than comparison seasons too.
Points Top 5 23/23

8th 15 points

Points Top 5 22/23

23 (city winners)
8th 12 points

Points Top 5 15/16. After 9 games Leicester had similar points and GD to Brighton this season.

16 (Leicester league winners)
8th 13points

Nice to see City dropped off on 15/16 from a 21 point total after 9 games. More of that please. The fact they have scored less than us this season is good indication that they aren’t firing properly. So there could be a chance that misfiring continues.

I still think the talksport “8 teams 9 games more than 23 points no less than 3rd place” is a weird statement. Last season alone 2 teams had 23 points +.
Does it mean teams with 24 points plus??
Not had a chance to look at that for bullshit factor.

But checked our two points from 8 games season. Liverpool has 23 after 9. Finished 2nd.

We had 5 points after 9. Bottom. -5Gd. Finished 8th.
Would bet my house none of the bottom 4 finish 8th this season.
Can’t see any of the bottom 8 finishing 8th tbh.

After 9 games Hull were 3rd. 20 points. Finished 17th with -25Gd. After 9 games they were better placed than Leicester the season they won it!!

And the combined Gd of the bottom 4 after 9 games. -24. Less than half of this season.

Interesting time for our fixture list to be ramping up as far as caliber of opposition. Good thing we banked the points early as some of the next 5 games will likely be ones where we would have dropped a few irrespective of our horrendous injury/suspension problems.

Said I would revisit at the halfway stage.

2nd quarter of the season 9 games = 10 points. Just over 1.1ppg. Who saw this coming??? Hands up.

Was the last 9 games harder for us? If it was harder for us due to injuries was it easier for our opponents to face us?

Second half of the season away fixtures is harder than our first IMO. (Played just 3 of the current top 10 away from home. Least of the top 5. That’s a fact not an opinion).

Same difference between 1st and 5th and 5th to 8th.
Fuck knows where we will end up.

2nd quarter of the season 9 games = 10 points. Just over 1.1ppg. Who saw this coming??? Hands up.

Was the last 9 games harder for us? If it was harder for us due to injuries was it easier for our opponents to face us?

Second half of the season away fixtures is harder than our first IMO. (Played just 3 of the current top 10 away from home. Least of the top 5. That’s a fact not an opinion).

Well, if we mirror that in the second half of the season. We end up on what? 73 points or so?

That's enough for 3rd or 4th.

I'd be rather disappointed if we didn't finish top 5 after witnessing the first 19 games.

Had the burning desire to check back here...

We lost 4 points in our first 10 games prior to the Chelsea November game which was always going to be where things got hairy in our fixture list. Since that time we've lost 17 points in the next 10 games. How anyone couldn't see how relatively easy our start was is beyond me.

With how we're playing, the questions now are when, where, and how are we going to improve to get similar points to what we did in our first 10 games which led to unrealistic expectations that I believe were ultimately harmful to the project with folks talking about the league FFS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom