Easiest premier league start ever?? (For Tottenham)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How is playing United , Liverpool and the gooners away anything like an easy start?
Anyway as Woolwich know , you don’t get fuck all for starting well, it’s how you finish that counts!

It hasn't been that easy a start as people like to suggest.

Away vs 9th place
Home vs 3rd
Away vs 15th
Away vs newly promoted
Home vs newly promoted
Away vs 2nd
Home vs 5th

Call the newly promoted sides 19th and 20th, that's an average of 10.4, very close to the average you can expect after 38 games.

Don't let other people convince you United was beating a bottom half club. They finished 3rd on merit and will likely climb up the table, though people will always attempt to play down and devalue our wins.

City lost to Wolves, Woolwich drew with Fulham at home, Liverpool drew with Chelsea.. 17 points from 7 games is a great return even if we played the 14th-20th best teams in the league consecutively, but we didn't and got some good results with some hard fixtures out of the way.

(I would expect the narrative around Liverpool drawing away at Chelsea is somehow more credible than our draw at Brentford like they didn't finish 15 points behind them last season and are only a mere 1 point behind them so far this season)

After 8 games we would have played the bottom 4, an out of sorts Man Utd, a Brentford team who have won 1 in 7 to date, a Liverpool team who reduced themselves to 9 men at our place and a woolwich team at the emirates who should be title contenders. 2.5 “hard” games out of 8?

(I fully expect we will be unbeaten after the 8 games as luton are pretty poor.)

Given that last season people were saying how easy a start woolwich had and were lucky etc etc Well our start this season has been far easier.

Good for the team and fans anyway. Sure Ange is managing his own expectations.

Momentum can go a very long way in sport and we seem to have it right now anyway.

Can we beat the Conte start to least season which was our best PL start ever? 24+ points from 10 games would be the target.

:ange-pray:

If you jinx us, I will wipe my ass with your face!

And I had a dodgy mexican last night.

I've seen this alluded to a few times and it surprises me, before the start of the season I looked at our fixtures and honestly thought we could quite easily only have a couple of wins by this stage.

Historically it's not uncommon for us to be quite poor on the road, and we've played a lot of away games to start off with. The home games we've faced Liverpool and United already, fixtures we do not do great in.

I'm delighted with the start we've had.

How is playing United , Liverpool and the gooners away anything like an easy start?
Anyway as Woolwich know , you don’t get fuck all for starting well, it’s how you finish that counts!
It's also a joke to dismiss the Liverpool match as a "just a game against 9 men."

The way we play now, with the ball, taking chances and creating opportunities... that leads to the opposition fouling us more than before. Putting the pressure on the opposition forces them into mistakes.

An observation from me, if we were anywhere between 3-6, nobody would be mentioning the fixture list and it's level of difficulty in relation to us, in fact, I reckon most pundits would be saying that we had started really well and were one to watch were that the case.

The fact of us being top jars for many for whatever reason, and they have to try and find a way to caveat it, and put a negative spin on it. I've mentioned already a while ago, going into the season I was quite apprehensive about the fixture list, I genuinely thought there was a good chance of us going into the Sheff Utd game with less than 3 points on the board, and then with a tough couple of fixtures to follow it up.

To look back on our games so far and brush it off as having had easy fixtures is doing us a disservice, realistically there are ~15 sides not as good as us in this league, that's 30 "easy" fixtures over a season, so I suppose 90 points a season should be par for us? No, obviously, that's not how football works.

Away games are tough, how often have we gone long stretches without winning ONE? 12 calendar months under Poch without an away win was it? And how often have we failed to compete head to head against the other top 6 clubs, home or away?

Yet here we sit, having won those away games, having taken 7 from 9 against top 6 rivals to date, and even our own fans are trying to write it off as easy, I really wish we'd known how easy this all was in the previous 28 years of my Spurs supporting life!

I really hope we lift the trophy in May to the sound of Alan Smith on comms drearily saying "yeah but they did have the easier fixtures to be fair...".

That said, I don't really give a fuck what other supporters are saying, we were doing it all last season about Woolwich, thankfully we aren't winning due to copious amounts of jam like they were. It is weird how nobody else ever seemed to mention it about them than us though, whereas this year it feels like it's a thing that all other supporters are levelling at us.

After 8 games we would have played the bottom 4, an out of sorts Man Utd, a Brentford team who have won 1 in 7 to date, a Liverpool team who reduced themselves to 9 men at our place and a woolwich team at the emirates who should be title contenders. 2.5 “hard” games out of 8?

Given that last season people were saying how easy a start woolwich had and were lucky etc etc Well our start this season has been far easier.

Not buying this at all.....

Brentford
Man U
Arse
Liverpool
........Not one of those games did we go into expecting them to be easy; nor were they easy.

Sheff U were a fucking pain in the arse too.

Getting good results doesn't mean the games were easy.

Not me. Opta. First 5 games extremely easy.

Then yes woolwich away we usually lose. Not saying that was easy.
I’m saying out of 7 teams we have played 5 of them have won 5 games between them and yet playing 30+ games. They are not playing well.
Form table and league table does not lie.

And seriously anybody coming and telling me that playing Liverpool for 25 mins with 11 players, Then 45 minutes with 10 players and then 26 minutes with 9 players is “hard”.
But sorry fuck that. It doesn’t get much better than that from any point of view.

Again stats don’t lie. We dominated them.

Before the game people would have snapped that scenario up in a millisecond.

And then next up Luton Town FC. A team who have somehow managed to get in the premier league.
And according to Opta 20% chance of luton win 55% Spurs.
I’m not making this shit up.

It’s statistically based data.

Unfortunately I’m dealing with morons…….
All great but football games are won and lost on a football pitch with any number of variables, whether that be historical, form led, referee decisions etc.

Football is much more than just data. You simply can’t quantify the psychological side of the game.

If you haven’t beaten a team in three or four attempts at your new house then it stands to reason that, for whatever reason, that isn’t an easy game for you.

Discussing the relative difficulty of our fixtures so far based on red cards makes little sense.......of course the reds made the Liverpool game easier for us and the Luton game harder but it's not as if we're going to play those fixtures again, this time with 11 Vs 11.

The fact is having played Liverpool we've removed one of the harder games from our fixtures.

It's equally silly to base fixture difficulty based on where teams are currently in the league. Does anyone really believe UTD at home is an easier fixture than say Palace at home?

Only 7/8 games have been played and part of the reason the teams we've played are lower in the table is the fact we've beaten most of them.

5/8 games away, 3 top 6 sides played is anything but easy

I wouldn't say it's an easy start. About average. We've played 3 teams that will probably finish top 6, and 2 of those expected to be top 3. Brentford are a top half team and after Luton we will have played 5 away games and only 3 at home.

Don't care. It's been entertaining, it's been thrilling and it's been victorious. How often have those ducks been simultaneously lined up in a row this past four years?

We've played three of the teams that finished in the top five last season. We opened the season away at a team that only lost to Newcastle and Woolwich at home last season.

We've definitely had easier. I'd even argue last seasons was easier.

Back
Top Bottom