Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it's absolutely right he's vocally called out racism for what it is, and to be honest enough to admit he's had enough of IT... (not necessarily from PLAYING football, as some of the headline writers seem keen to retire him early!)
I guess his only slight misjudged comment would be to divulge how much he spends on a night out in London... or maybe he's being clever, and pointing out just HOW RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED London is....?
:roseunsure:
Fair enough although I do think the night out comment was simply just a throw away/exaggerated example of how cheap the fines are for high earning clubs.

It's not the same mate. You have to work with the guy or see him every day. Danny Rose had 2 encounters with racism in his career (as long as I remember, he said once before in Serbia). And he is playing football his whole life.

Don't get me wrong, it must be terrible thing to hear and experiance, but can't wait to retire from football because of that? Bit drama queen comment. Lot of black players experiance that in Italy every other week so they are dealing with it strongly, like that man Keane or Koulibaly.

As part of punishment. Agree it should be bigger and kicked that country from qualification, they'll know then. Even though that would punish directly players and stuff of NT ,don't care, something has to be done.
Maybe he's had more racial abuse than what has been clearly highlighted? Players are talking about walking off the pitch due to racial abuse, along with manager backing - is that being a drama queen?

Maybe he's had more racial abuse than what has been clearly highlighted? Players are talking about walking off the pitch due to racial abuse, along with manager backing - is that being a drama queen?
Maybe he had, I don't know. I'm talking from what he said. Walking off the pitch due to racial abuse should be done and I'm all for it.

Of course he makes very valid points about racism, etc. That much is obvious. But all the other stuff about can't wait to retire just comes across as overly dramatic and detracts from the meat of what he said.

He's obviously a fairly morose character with some depression issues maybe. Personally, I'll never forgive him for his comments last summer. If he derives so little pleasure from playing a game that most of us would willingly chop a finger off to play, then bloody quit. It's not like he's struggling to get by if he can blow 65k on a night out.

Being outspoken is commendable and refreshing, but he isn't as erudite as he thinks and lacks tact.

PLEASE ALL OF YOU CUNT
Just read what he actually said and not the headline title ..
Everyone here knows how misleading a title can be.
That's why before I posted, I read the article. These are his quotes I based my opinion upon:

“I’ve had enough. At the minute, the way that I programme myself I just think, ‘I’ve got five or six more years left in football and I just can’t wait to see the back of it.’
“Seeing how things are done in the game at the minute, it’s just, ‘Whatever!’, isn’t it?
“I just want to get out of it.”

I have got to be honest, I would want to leave my job if someone made racist jokes about me at work. Especially if the managers said it is terrible, had an investigation and then fined the person a fiver.

Rose is a great player : decent tackler, fast and gets past players. He definitely gives his all.

What he said about how much he spends on a night out is a bit silly - but he is obviously upset, and we all say things that are a bit silly.
The problem is, Rose is making a habit of putting his foot in his mouth when he is on the cusp of making a valid point we could all align with.

Of course he makes very valid points about racism, etc. That much is obvious. But all the other stuff about can't wait to retire just comes across as overly dramatic and detracts from the meat of what he said.

He's obviously a fairly morose character with some depression issues maybe. Personally, I'll never forgive him for his comments last summer. If he derives so little pleasure from playing a game that most of us would willingly chop a finger off to play, then bloody quit. It's not like he's struggling to get by if he can blow 65k on a night out.

Being outspoken is commendable and refreshing, but he isn't as erudite as he thinks and lacks tact.

You're a cunt. Fuck off.

Why are pple annoyed about his comments? so what he can't wait to be done with football, that's his feelings, none of us are in his shoes. It's not like he doesn't give 100% evey time he plays and he clearly cares , look at his reaction to sons goal mid week.
Nothing in these comments shat on the club in any way, in fact he brought up how ridiculous it was that poch got a 2 game ban for the incident at Burnley, whilst countries get a slap on the wrist for racism.

The guy just absolutely loves being in the headlines, I'm convinced of it. Every time he talks to the press it's like he makes it his personal mission to be as sensational as possible and get everyone talking about what he's said.
In this case it's quite sad because the topic he's talking about is so serious and does need to be addressed urgently, and as usual he does make some good points, but the fact is he's once again just come across as a bit of a helmet.

I really really want to like the guy for what he does on the pitch, I honestly think he's top class and probably just behind Robertson as best LB in the league, but it's just so so hard to warm to him.

Rose talks about racism in how it’s been a burden on him and other black players their entire career.

People squawk about a throw away line about how much he spends on a night out to illustrate the ineffectiveness of current fines.

:pochserious2:

I think Danny is 100% correct and I don't blame him for his comments/feelings. I think that if people are trying to cast this as just based off two incidents playing for England, then they're engaging in a little bit of denial. This isn't just about Danny, it's about black players (and others, remember Wham and Millwall's stuff towards Son?) constantly getting racial abuse shouted at them at matches, constantly being attacked by the press for literally fictitious issues (like Raheem Sterling and Dele), and receiving nothing but token support from the FA, UEFA, and FIFA. They have big, flashy campaigns, but when it comes to punishing actual wrong-doing, as Danny points out, they do nothing substantive.

Let's not forget the level of social media abuse he took a few years ago as well. Not all of it was racist, but some of it was. And that was from other Spurs fans. If someone is telling you it's a problem, dismissing it as whinging because you're not personally experiencing the same thing may say more about your capacity for empathy than their experience.

I really don't get the negativity towards him for these comments. I find it baffling.

There's a valid point to be made about racism but it's becoming a regular occurrence of "Danny Rose says something and it's on the back pages again." It's becoming a cumulative effect, and it'll be something else in a couple of months. We've got a very important game in a few days, I'd prefer he concentrated on that. There's a time and place and I don't think saying you're desperate to retire is particularly helpful at this moment. Sterling manages to make his point without it potentially damaging his club, Rose has shown he doesn't have any such concern on multiple occasions.

There's a valid point to be made about racism but it's becoming a regular occurrence of "Danny Rose says something and it's on the back pages again." It's becoming a cumulative effect, and it'll be something else in a couple of months. We've got a very important game in a few days, I'd prefer he concentrated on that. There's a time and place and I don't think saying you're desperate to retire is particularly helpful at this moment. Sterling manages to make his point without it potentially damaging his club, Rose has shown he doesn't have any such concern on multiple occasions.

I don't see how his comments can be damaging the spurs side and the teams mentality for the next game. He's clearly so fed up with racism in the game that he feels like it will be a relief to escape racism at the end of his career. Yes he's very vocal sometimes and maybe doesn't put it across in the right way but the backlash he receives from his own fans is disproportionate in my view. Like he's using his racist abuse as an excuse to get some publicity or something. Why can't we support one of our own over an important topic?

Back
Top Bottom