Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur (Jan 4th - 8pm) *sigh*

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You get all sorts on here. Only a few days ago I was reading posts saying Kane is spent, past it, and should be sold.

I hope in time Gil will prove doubters wrong and last night suggests he might.
As an outsider, I have the impression that he still needs to work on his physique.
In order to be successful in the PL, that would certainly be necessary.
For me, this guy made a good game yesterday.
You will definitely keep an eye on him.
Good man.

Lloris - 8 - didn't put a glove wrong. As always, would be higher rated if he could kick an accurate pass more than 20 feet
Dier - 7 - unspectacular, did what was needed for the most part
Romero - - same as Dier
Lenglet - same as Romero
Doc - 22 out of 10 for not being Royal
PEH - 5 - far from his best. Possibly missing his buddy.
Skipp - 6. Lots of effort. Very little product. Literally started the match looking for a yellow and got it.
Perisic - 7 - put some great passes into the box & provided decent cover at the back
Son - 6 - score would have been faaar less if not for a deflected assist and a goal that was deflected and possibly could have been disallowed
Kane 9 - hat trick would have been 10
Gil - 6 - worked his socks off. Did try. Is too lightweight. But that pass to Kane appears to have been underrated, that split a defence in half.

Lloris - 8 - didn't put a glove wrong. As always, would be higher rated if he could kick an accurate pass more than 20 feet
Romero - - same as Dier
Lenglet - same as Romero
Skipp - 6. Lots of effort. Very little product. Literally started the match looking for a yellow and got it.
Perisic - 7 - put some great passes into the box & provided decent cover at the back
Son - 6 - score would have been faaar less if not for a deflected assist and a goal that was deflected and possibly could have been disallowed
Gil - 6 - worked his socks off. Did try. Is too lightweight. But that pass to Kane appears to have been underrated, that split a defence in half.
So Skipp and Sarr both played better than PEH? Interesting, I thought your forecast was disaster with either of those?

Romero - - same as Dier
Lenglet - same as Romero

6 for Gil?

That automatically nulls and voids anything you have to say.

😬

Romero - - same as Dier
Lenglet - same as Romero
you just don't understand football.

6 for Gil?

That automatically nulls and voids anything you have to say.

😬
exactly - 4 would have been more accurate.
He flattered to deceive throughout, and but for one excellent pass would have been largely forgettable.
It was by far and away the best performance in a Spurs shirt but the sum of his contribution was relatively little, apart from that sublime pass.
I only remember him getting past his marker once and IIRC his cross was wasted, he did put in a couple of covering tackles that helped out in Palaces purple patch, but he also seemed to get in the way on a couple of occasions.
All in all I would say it was a promising display, but he's still got a long way to go to be a starter on merit.

exactly - 4 would have been more accurate.
He flattered to deceive throughout, and but for one excellent pass would have been largely forgettable.
It was by far and away the best performance in a Spurs shirt but the sum of his contribution was relatively little, apart from that sublime pass.
I only remember him getting past his marker once and IIRC his cross was wasted, he did put in a couple of covering tackles that helped out in Palaces purple patch, but he also seemed to get in the way on a couple of occasions.
All in all I would say it was a promising display, but he's still got a long way to go to be a starter on merit.
:levywtf:

Yeah......we definitely do not agree on this. But that's ok.

We'll agree to disagree.

5 then
It wasn't a worldy Goat - do you think it was enough to make him an automatic starter?
I can't see why he would start if Son and Kulusevski are fit

Where did I imply he had a 'worldy'?

I thought he performed very well and give him a 7- and I stand by that so there's no point in arguing.

Do I think it's enough to make him a regular starter? No, not yet, although Son needs to buck his ideas up and get on a good run...

Kulu comes straight back in as soon as he's fit.

Do I think I saw enough from Gil to convince me he's good enough to play for us - absolutely.

EDIT: Maybe I'm still looking at last night through rose tinted glasses, I dunno. It's been so long since we had at least part of a game the way we played in the second half that I'm still slightly buzzing (and yes, I've had a wash!)

I think Gil proved he can beat a man, I'm sure a couple times his twists and turns got him away from the defender. His crossing wasn't brilliant but it wasn't bad either. I think the difference in his and Kulusevski's crossing was evident last night, Kulusevski has his head up and aims for a player, whereas I felt like Gil was putting them in areas rather than at specific players.

I must admit, last night I melted a bit in the first half when Palace put us under sustained pressure for what felt like ages. Lots of corners and pot shots, and we've seen how those go in against Spurs.

Second half was total control, I don't know if something was changed tactically or whether the players felt up for it after going in at HT having not conceded for fucking ages.

Skipp showed some real directness to his play in the opening 15 minutes, I think his lack of playtime showed after that as he was blowing. His yellow is a bit harsh, as the tackle only came from a shit pass from Perisic meaning he had to stretch for it.

Amazing what a win does for morale isn't it.

:contefists:

I think Gil proved he can beat a man, I'm sure a couple times his twists and turns got him away from the defender. His crossing wasn't brilliant but it wasn't bad either. I think the difference in his and Kulusevski's crossing was evident last night, Kulusevski has his head up and aims for a player, whereas I felt like Gil was putting them in areas rather than at specific players.

Kulu is also as strong as an ox. He can beat a player with skill and he can also muscle past them fairly easily. I'm not against just putting the ball in the box. We often dawdle too much looking for the perfect pass to open a team up and never actually make the pass. Sometimes we need to get bodies in and cause a bit of a panic then try to feed off the second balls.

I must admit, last night I melted a bit in the first half when Palace put us under sustained pressure for what felt like ages. Lots of corners and pot shots, and we've seen how those go in against Spurs.

Second half was total control, I don't know if something was changed tactically or whether the players felt up for it after going in at HT having not conceded for fucking ages.

Skipp showed some real directness to his play in the opening 15 minutes, I think his lack of playtime showed after that as he was blowing. His yellow is a bit harsh, as the tackle only came from a shit pass from Perisic meaning he had to stretch for it.

Given the last few months, I don't think our melting point is particularly high anymore.
Whether Skipps yellow was harsh or not doesn't matter, he was kicking lumps out of Palace for a solid 10-15 minutes before he got it. It was coming.

Where did I imply he had a 'worldy'?

I thought he performed very well and give him a 7- and I stand by that so there's no point in arguing.

Do I think it's enough to make him a regular starter? No, not yet, although Son needs to buck his ideas up and get on a good run...

Kulu comes straight back in as soon as he's fit.

Do I think I saw enough from Gil to convince me he's good enough to play for us - absolutely.

EDIT: Maybe I'm still looking at last night through rose tinted glasses, I dunno. It's been so long since we had at least part of a game the way we played in the second half that I'm still slightly buzzing (and yes, I've had a wash!)
I hadn't seen any of your previous comments - just the one I responded to.

On here there is a tendency to either pile onto players and organise lynching parties, or big up players that get replacement appearances, and then get demands for starts, that are beyond their actual contribution.

I would love Gil to be that player that ghosts past players and provides assists and goals, god knows we need one, but at the moment he just seems to be coming up short. And as everyone has said - he seems to get brushed off the ball all to easily. But as I said - I was impressed that he made a significant step up the pecking list, with a much more wholesome performance, but there is still room for improvement.

I hadn't seen any of your previous comments - just the one I responded to.

On here there is a tendency to either pile onto players and organise lynching parties, or big up players that get replacement appearances, and then get demands for starts, that are beyond their actual contribution.

I would love Gil to be that player that ghosts past players and provides assists and goals, god knows we need one, but at the moment he just seems to be coming up short. And as everyone has said - he seems to get brushed off the ball all to easily. But as I said - I was impressed that he made a significant step up the pecking list, with a much more wholesome performance, but there is still room for improvement.

Fair enough :)

Nice to have a rational discussion, and I completely agree there is still plenty of room for improvement (which is absolutely fine).

Skipp was lost in that game and it bypassed him time after time. I'm hoping that was a fitness and lack of gametime thing, because I would have hooked him in the first half, as he left PEH exposed in the centre of the park. When his lack of anticipation/fitness started to make him desperate he started a series of worsening fouls until he was booked - I though Oliver was lenient to leave it that long.

Back
Top Bottom