Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur (Jan 4th - 8pm) *sigh*

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

PEH was worse than against Villa where he was also poor. Quite the achievement in a 4-0 win. He needs to be moved out of the 11

Game was finished (Sarr) but absolutely showed a lot more good than bad. The future beyond the one paced chugger (PEH) is bright. Don’t be afraid of change
Bit harsh on PEH who has been one of our best and most consistent players this season.
There's no need to be replacing one of the very few who has been producing. I'd be far more concerned about the likes of Son who has consistently been so bad the whole team struggles. He bought himself some more time yesterday bit I think he's ahead of PEH in terms of being dropped from the first 11. Especially with Kulu and Richarlison back.

PEH, you could argue it's not dropping he needs, it's a well earned break.

Bit harsh on PEH who has been one of our best and most consistent players this season.
There's no need to be replacing one of the very few who has been producing. I'd be far more concerned about the likes of Son who has consistently been so bad the whole team struggles. He bought himself some more time yesterday bit I think he's ahead of PEH in terms of being dropped from the first 11. Especially with Kulu and Richarlison back.

PEH, you could argue it's not dropping he needs, it's a well earned break.
Possibly, I could argue he needs to be sold

South London Shitbags
im right here schitts creek GIF by CBC

Possibly, I could argue he needs to be sold
Not without a replacement. There's a case for every player in the squad to be sold for one reason or another, be it footballing or financial.
You don't just sell a nailed on starter though. Nothing Skipp or Sarr did yesterday makes me think they could do what PEH has done this season. Bar his below standard performance yesterday.

I hadn't seen any of your previous comments - just the one I responded to.

On here there is a tendency to either pile onto players and organise lynching parties, or big up players that get replacement appearances, and then get demands for starts, that are beyond their actual contribution.

I would love Gil to be that player that ghosts past players and provides assists and goals, god knows we need one, but at the moment he just seems to be coming up short. And as everyone has said - he seems to get brushed off the ball all to easily. But as I said - I was impressed that he made a significant step up the pecking list, with a much more wholesome performance, but there is still room for improvement.
Mick, that's why I run the ratings thread. To get a long term assessment of players from multiple sources. Rather than knee-jerk reactions and perceptions.

exactly - 4 would have been more accurate.
He flattered to deceive throughout, and but for one excellent pass would have been largely forgettable.
It was by far and away the best performance in a Spurs shirt but the sum of his contribution was relatively little, apart from that sublime pass.
I only remember him getting past his marker once and IIRC his cross was wasted, he did put in a couple of covering tackles that helped out in Palaces purple patch, but he also seemed to get in the way on a couple of occasions.
All in all I would say it was a promising display, but he's still got a long way to go to be a starter on merit.
He made two passes that led to goals, one to Perisic that enabled the cross for Kane's first goal, and then the short pass to Kane for the second goal.

Good win at an important time.

Really think Conte needs to start integrating his non starters into games more giving 2 minutes to a substitute isn't enough(he does this all the time when he has everyone available).

He has been forced to recently and we got a result.

I think Gil proved he can beat a man, I'm sure a couple times his twists and turns got him away from the defender. His crossing wasn't brilliant but it wasn't bad either. I think the difference in his and Kulusevski's crossing was evident last night, Kulusevski has his head up and aims for a player, whereas I felt like Gil was putting them in areas rather than at specific players.
Gil's problem isn't himself, it's the other players. Gill can run and beat a man or two, but eventually if he doesn't get the support, he'll be surrounded by 3/4 players and inevitably lose the ball. I think our players just don't expect it.

Kulu is the same. If he makes a run either has to run shoot or leave it on a plate for someone else. He never gets the support either.

Gil's problem isn't himself, it's the other players. Gill can run and beat a man or two, but eventually if he doesn't get the support, he'll be surrounded by 3/4 players and inevitably lose the ball. I think our players just don't expect it.

Kulu is the same. If he makes a run either has to run shoot or leave it on a plate for someone else. He never gets the support either.

This is a good point about Gil. The players need to atune to his play and support him. He can't do the physical stuff, maybe never will but he is very skillful. It's knowing how to get the best out of him. I'm not sure what that is yet but close support and interplay, quick one two passing. Anticipation of his deft flicks etc.

I've watched the first half and rated up until then.
I heard our fans singing Antonio's name early on which was good to hear.
Palace did have a purple patch but we defended sharply and as a unit to get through it. I noted Dier coming out to press further up the pitch to support the MF a couple of times and he seemed focused.
Hojbjerg was busy and not as bad as I expected having read some opinions. But I've only done the first half.
Noticed Lloris distributing short , no long ball giveaways. Looked sound generally.
Ratings to follow later, your input would be appreciated if you can. At least its positive this time !!

Back
Top Bottom