Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur (Jan 4th - 8pm) *sigh*

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He made two passes that led to goals, one to Perisic that enabled the cross for Kane's first goal, and then the short pass to Kane for the second goal.
Ah - the old assist for an assist
So does Son get an assist to the assist for an assist?

Because PEH has a strong shout for his pass to Son.....

I'm merely pointing out that Gil wasn't as useless as you made him out to be in your post.
not sure I said useless - just that he wasn't as good as some posters were making him out to be
I think he took a step up from previous performances, but his end product was still short of what he needs to produce to be a regular starter

I don't have any axe to grind over this, I'm just trying to be objective.

not sure I said useless - just that he wasn't as good as some posters were making him out to be
I think he took a step up from previous performances, but his end product was still short of what he needs to produce to be a regular starter

I don't have any axe to grind over this, I'm just trying to be objective.
Well you said other than one pass his performance was forgettable, but here I am remembering that he was involved in the build up for both of Kane's goals,

''Having worked extremely hard on the training pitch to impress Conte, the winger has come in for plenty of praise from Kane after his starring role
"Yeah, I'm really happy for Bryan. He's waited patiently for his chance, worked really hard on the training pitch. You've just got to the ready," explained Tottenham's No.10. "I said to everyone, young or old, just be ready for your opportunity and Bryan was there today.

"Hopefully that can give him loads of confidence now. He's a really important player for us and we're going to need him if we want to do anything important this season."

That's what Kane had to say about Gil.

Last edited:
I think you are failing - this place has more knee jerking than an evening watching Riverdance on a loop
Early days yet and the ratings so far have been quite measured, not too much venting. Mind you the ratings response has been sparse for this match. I expected more feedback kn a positive performance.

I have finished watching and posted my ratings. Hojbjergs performance was not as bad as expected and I thought he needed rotating after the last game. But with Bissouma out Conte had no choice really. I was impressed by Gil, hopefully a breakthrough performance for him. He wasn't ready when he arrived and Conte has eased him in while trying to strengthen him up. Hopefully his skill won't get cancelled out by brute force.

Early days yet and the ratings so far have been quite measured, not too much venting. Mind you the ratings response has been sparse for this match. I expected more feedback kn a positive performance.
You're probably missing all those posters that jump on there to slate our players when we lose a game.

Which is rather telling...

You're probably missing all those posters that jump on there to slate our players when we lose a game.

Which is rather telling...
From what I have seen so far there are plenty of considered opinions out there. It's just getting them to do the ratings that's the challenge. I have 3 years of data to tap into. I started doing it because I didn't trust my own perception. I wanted a more reliable and structured measure.

Went to watch in the pub for once. The Danish fan club was pretty lively as soon as we got going.

The result is deffo better than the performance, but very important before this run of games.

Well you said other than one pass his performance was forgettable, but here I am remembering that he was involved in the build up for both of Kane's goals,

''Having worked extremely hard on the training pitch to impress Conte, the winger has come in for plenty of praise from Kane after his starring role
"Yeah, I'm really happy for Bryan. He's waited patiently for his chance, worked really hard on the training pitch. You've just got to the ready," explained Tottenham's No.10. "I said to everyone, young or old, just be ready for your opportunity and Bryan was there today.

"Hopefully that can give him loads of confidence now. He's a really important player for us and we're going to need him if we want to do anything important this season."

That's what Kane had to say about Gil.

That's a pretty generic statement tbh. Kane has never been a big talker tbh. You can find a comment like that for every player he's been asked about.

That's a pretty generic statement tbh. Kane has never been a big talker tbh. You can find a comment like that for every player he's been asked about.
But surely Kane is alluding that Gil took his chance, and impressed. Did you see the way Conte hugged Gil when he got substituted?

But surely Kane is alluding that Gil took his chance, and impressed. Did you see the way Conte hugged Gil when he got substituted?
Yeah, I think the Conte hug is more indicative of him hopefully getting more chances.

Hope he builds on this. We can't afford to have dud after dud.

Yeah, I think the Conte hug is more indicative of him hopefully getting more chances.

Hope he builds on this. We can't afford to have dud after dud.
Be a good thing is both Sarr and Gil break into the team more often, even if it's mainly substitutions that they come on.

A more interesting 'dilemma' might be: would you prefer to do the double over City, boosting our top 4 chances, but gifting the title to Woolwich; or lose both games to City in the hope they'll overtake Woolwich, even though it effectively ends any chance of finishing in the top 4?

I have finished watching and posted my ratings. Hojbjergs performance was not as bad as expected and I thought he needed rotating after the last game. But with Bissouma out Conte had no choice really. I was impressed by Gil, hopefully a breakthrough performance for him. He wasn't ready when he arrived and Conte has eased him in while trying to strengthen him up. Hopefully his skill won't get cancelled out by brute force

Good performance by Gill and good energy, but I still wish Spurs had kept Bergwijn, especially since Moura will be moving along.

Some trivia. I grew up in Bromley, Palace the nearest club. First Spurs match I saw 1972 was at Selhurst.

1-1, Chivers for Spurs, Gerry Queen equaliser for CP.

Hence the sports headline "Queen rescues Palace"

and when he was transfer listed

"Palace to sell Queen"

Well maybe. I made the last one up

:ap:

Back
Top Bottom