Brighton at Wembley - 13th Dec.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the kind of thinking that makes it a walk in the park for city...
A lot of teams are giving up before even playing.

I'm not saying we should play the reserves against them or not try to compete. I'm saying that if you think we can get away with resting the big players at home to Brighton because it is 'easy' in the very unlikely hope that we can beat both them and city then you are most likely in for a bit of a disappointment .

I disagree. I think we will beat City. A big fuck you to the oil drenched mercenaries. I really hope we can do a number on them. We won’t catch them in the league, but to put a fucking huge dent in their juggernaut would be a lovely early Christmas present. But first off this one...3-0 to Spurs.
Then 2-1 on Saturday.
That would be just the ticket.

I'll have some of what you're smoking mate.

City can play a B team midweek at Swansea that still features yaya toure as a sub. We should be concentrating on the next game and the three points on offer. Not the one after it.

looks like Vert is one yellow away from a ban. maybe foyth and dier should play Wednesday. Cant lose Vert to a silly booking for the city game.

We have a decent record record against City, no reason why that should end Saturday. There is no reason to fear them, they are playing well but so can we when it matters. Sterling must be the worse ever player, playing in the best ever team. They have been riding their luck of late and that will end. We will at least come awwy with a drawl COYS

Ive just realised Im commenting on the City game in the Brighton thread. Thats where it all goes wrong-only play the next game. Respect for Brighton, they are a decent team. We ,must play our best team possible against them and get them valuable 3 points then march onto Manchester. We are still , when everyones fit, the second best team in the PL believe it.

FESTIVE AF

Sweet lord I wouldn't want to be pelted with a snowball by Dier.
:dierno:

Snow + Spurs =
A-Spurs-fan-sweeps-the-sn-008.jpg
its not Ossie?

I'm not saying we should play the reserves against them or not try to compete. I'm saying that if you think we can get away with resting the big players at home to Brighton because it is 'easy' in the very unlikely hope that we can beat both them and city then you are most likely in for a bit of a disappointment .

Yeah, one game at a time, take Brighton seriously, no such thing as a easy game these days.

I know Vertonghen is one yellow away from suspension, but I'd play him all day long tomorrow. Play our strongest team, 3 points from this one is a must and then anything from City on the weekend is a bonus. Beat Brighton, get some confidence off the back of that and the Stoke tonking and it can only help for the City game.

We are certainly capable of getting something from City...I have visions of Lamela slipping it through to Eriksen again...

Anyway, back to the thread topic, we must beat Brighton, so play the strongest xi available.

I'll have some of what you're smoking mate.

City can play a B team midweek at Swansea that still features yaya toure as a sub. We should be concentrating on the next game and the three points on offer. Not the one after it.
I don’t care what City could or couldn’t field against Swansea. It’s all about XI v XI on Saturday & I’m maintaining that on our day, we can beat them & if nothing else, show other teams that they are not infallible. If we believe we are beaten before we get the coach up to Manchester, then we are already beaten.
I agree that we should be concentrating on the next game. That’s why I said “but first off this one”

:deledoubt:

We have a decent record record against City, no reason why that should end Saturday. There is no reason to fear them, they are playing well but so can we when it matters. Sterling must be the worse ever player, playing in the best ever team. They have been riding their luck of late and that will end. We will at least come awwy with a drawl COYS

No sorry, not having that... unrelated to this thread... but raheem Sterling is a brilliant player!

I also want to see our strongest team for this one. We're fighting hard for a Champions League place here, it's not a League Cup game.
If my maths is correct, there are another 21 league games after this one. We have to rotate at points in the season & if we use up all our big guns in games like this, then we may not be fighting hard for Champions League spot as & when we pick up more niggles, injuries & suspensions. There is no disrespect at all intended to Brighton, but we should be able to conserve one or two of our key players without ruining our chances of a win here. We have to question the squad if players can’t come in & do a job to give their teammates a breather.
In particular, I worry about Jan picking up a suspension in this one. If he misses City, it’s a huge problem imo. I’d rather him be a cert for the City game & miss the one after that.
We are all just speculating though, & we will see what the gaffer thinks soon enough.

I just googled “ what is Brighton famous for “ & it appears that they love coming from behind & getting men into the hole.

Don’t click on google images though.

:carrollwtf:​

If my maths is correct, there are another 21 league games after this one. We have to rotate at points in the season & if we use up all our big guns in games like this, then we may not be fighting hard for Champions League spot as & when we pick up more niggles, injuries & suspensions. There is no disrespect at all intended to Brighton, but we should be able to conserve one or two of our key players without ruining our chances of a win here. We have to question the squad if players can’t come in & do a job to give their teammates a breather.
In particular, I worry about Jan picking up a suspension in this one.
If he misses City, it’s a huge problem imo. I’d rather him be a cert for the City game & miss the one after that.
We are all just speculating though, & we will see what the gaffer thinks soon enough.

Whilst I agree to some extent, we'd all love to think that all 22/23 squad players are totally interchangeable and can slot in seamlessly without anyone really noticing any disruption to the team... but in truth, that's not quite the case!
Sissoko for example does not exude the same confidence in Midfield, as say, Dembele or Dier... though funnily enough, Winks is now almost a certain starter for tomorrow, as his inclusion is no longer seen as makeshift or an inferior choice... as it may have been with other youth team players.

Son for me is the one that epitomises strength in depth... Not a regular starter earlier in the season, but now he's in, he's almost impossible to drop! He's become indispensable and proves the point that if you're good enough, your time will come.

Two games in a week have probably come too soon for Lamela, and i'd expect him to feature tomorrow (it's still a bit of a risk to start him tomorrow and/or Saturday... though if I had to choose, I'd start him tomorrow, and see how he gets on... but we'll see!)

Jan simply has to play, and stay fit/not get booked... I think him being alongside either Dier/Foyth (or Aurier/Davies for that matter) adds some stability to an already depleted defence...
He needs to take the responsibility that comes withe being relied upon. No silly tackles that could lead to a booking, or worse, an injury....

Llorente hasn't quite convinced that he's ready to step in for Kane any time soon (nor would I expect him to) but a sub role to either hold things up, or try and have an impact late in the game is absolutely where I see him for the rest of the season.

The rest kinda pick themselves... though it would be interesting to see if Poch decides to rest either Dele/Eriksen, maybe to give them a bit of a shake up, and know their places aren't guaranteed if the performances don't merit it... though in Eriksen's case, I expect him to play. I've a funny feeling Dele may be saved for Saturday...

Here's my 'for what it's worth' line-up:
[formation=4231, Lloris, Trippier, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Dembele, Winks, Lamela, Son, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

Back
Top Bottom