Brentford v Spurs Boxing Day 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seen the goals. What a dogshit defence we have. I don’t understand how Dier backs off his player in 1v1 and always give them space to do anything they want and he still thinks he’s doing the right thing.
That’s one of Dier’s main faults, he rarely tackles, he just backs off and so gives the attacker time and room to shoot.
A while ago Ronaldo was gifted a hat trick this way.

Son is a world class player who has been called this on many occasions. I completely appreciate he hasn't been in the best of form this season but he has the ability to change the game in a moment. If you compare it to the situation with Mo Salah I think last season where he was really out of form its very similar, Klopp didn't drop him on regular occasions. I still fully believe Son will come good again.

I'm not one to call out players after a bad run, he won the golden boot last season and has been brilliant for us since he played for us so I have full faith in him playing still.

On the bonus question, how many times have fans called for 3-5-2 and it didn't work in certain games? Fans have been calling for 3-5-2 on a regular occasion since we beat Leicester away last season. It works in certain games and situations but I don't think that was the reason for dropping points yesterday.

Few things -
- Salah last season vs Son this season - what the fuck are you talking about? Don't you have any perspective whatsoever? Longest spell of games he started but did not score in was TWO GAMES. Son is on 13 (!!) can you understand difference between 2 and 13 ?!?! Season before that he had 2x spells of not scoring in 5 games started. But 5 and 13 are still quite different. You can beat around the bush as much as you want, but Son is in the team for goals. This is what is expected of him. His main value and contribution. he is not delivering them at the moment. Show me a serious and competitive side that would carry any player who does not fill his role for 13 games in a row, I'll wait.
- Son coming good - sure. He can come good. And it would be brilliant news to us all. Also, well... we kind of saw an option how to get there - he was left out of starting XI once in EPL. And scored a hat-trick. Since then, Conte made logical conclusion to avoid such scenario and went back to the option that has failed on and on and on this season instead of trying option where he succeeded and gained any confidence at all...

I can partly agree on this 3-5-2 point though. Somehow it has not worked as well as many would have liked. And I've got a feeling it is impacted by the fact that we do not have more passing-oriented CM, you know someone more creative to put on.
But right now - in situation where our defense is clearly not coping - no clean sheet since 15.10; so 2,5 months and from last 9 games only in 2 have we kept opposition on 1 goal (!) - it is clear that defense needs more protection. And we have to be able to keep the ball more to ease pressure on our defense. I refuse to believe that continuing surrendering midfield in order to accomodate goalscorer who does not score goals is viable option.

What do you reckon you can get for Joe Lewis?

I watched the game back yesterday. We weren't that bad and they were very good. I like Brentford and the way they swarm. High energy stuff. I watched it with a dipper mate and he said 'you lot are never not entertaining in the second half this season'.

When I'm watching these things in the heat of the moment, every little thing gets amplified to the power of ten, but in the cool light of day, I don't think we were dreadful or anything. An unfortunate deflection and a superb bit of poaching from Toney for them; magnificent header from Kane and cool thinking from Pierre for us. Even stevens.

We could have done better with Bentancur, Romero and Richarlison to call on, so it's not all doom and gloom.

A fair few around the internets seem bothered by Conte's remarks about recruiting young players on a more humble wage. We did exactly that last January and got the Juventus duo ... two of our current best.

Buy shrewd, fire a rocket up all their arses and we can still get top four.

To challenge for the title? Yeah, we're gonna need a bigger boat, so to speak.

I like your post. 2 days after the game and I’m coming round to thinking the same as you. But we won’t be going anywhere as a side until we can stop giving these goals away. If it dries up at the other end then we are Mourinho‘s spurs territory.

Few things -
- Salah last season vs Son this season - what the fuck are you talking about? Don't you have any perspective whatsoever? Longest spell of games he started but did not score in was TWO GAMES. Son is on 13 (!!) can you understand difference between 2 and 13 ?!?! Season before that he had 2x spells of not scoring in 5 games started. But 5 and 13 are still quite different. You can beat around the bush as much as you want, but Son is in the team for goals. This is what is expected of him. His main value and contribution. he is not delivering them at the moment. Show me a serious and competitive side that would carry any player who does not fill his role for 13 games in a row, I'll wait.
- Son coming good - sure. He can come good. And it would be brilliant news to us all. Also, well... we kind of saw an option how to get there - he was left out of starting XI once in EPL. And scored a hat-trick. Since then, Conte made logical conclusion to avoid such scenario and went back to the option that has failed on and on and on this season instead of trying option where he succeeded and gained any confidence at all...

I can partly agree on this 3-5-2 point though. Somehow it has not worked as well as many would have liked. And I've got a feeling it is impacted by the fact that we do not have more passing-oriented CM, you know someone more creative to put on.
But right now - in situation where our defense is clearly not coping - no clean sheet since 15.10; so 2,5 months and from last 9 games only in 2 have we kept opposition on 1 goal (!) - it is clear that defense needs more protection. And we have to be able to keep the ball more to ease pressure on our defense. I refuse to believe that continuing surrendering midfield in order to accomodate goalscorer who does not score goals is viable option.
`Okay you raise good points fair enough, but what would the answer be then? Drop Son and replace with who? Richarlison is currently out injured so who would come in?
Son is currently going through a bad patch of form, his worst by far in the seasons he's been here but he deserves the time to get it right.
South Korea called him up to their World Cup squad and he's also their captain and talisman so poor form means nothing to managers who know what they are doing. The Son one will split opinions all day long.

To play 3-5-2 does definitely require a creative playmaker but it doesn't mean we're going to be better defensively. We played it against Man Utd away as a prime example and got absolutely battered. The biggest issue is the personnel in defence isn't good enough, not the formations we play.

Both Carrick and Walker wanted to go. They weren’t us selling to make money. They were us having the choice of keeping an unhappy player or selling for best price we could get.
So it's OK for Levy to turn Spurs into a selling club, by continually selling off the best players for 20 years, but when he had the chance to actually sell the club, to a chairman like Abramovich, who these players would have wanted to stay and play for, he gets a free pass on that too does he?

Levy has cunted over the Spurs support for two decades with this smoke and mirrors bullshit.

Sauce for the goose.

His time is up.

`Okay you raise good points fair enough, but what would the answer be then? Drop Son and replace with who? Richarlison is currently out injured so who would come in?
Son is currently going through a bad patch of form, his worst by far in the seasons he's been here but he deserves the time to get it right.
South Korea called him up to their World Cup squad and he's also their captain and talisman so poor form means nothing to managers who know what they are doing. The Son one will split opinions all day long.

To play 3-5-2 does definitely require a creative playmaker but it doesn't mean we're going to be better defensively. We played it against Man Utd away as a prime example and got absolutely battered. The biggest issue is the personnel in defence isn't good enough, not the formations we play.

"Poor form means nothing to managers who know what they are doing" - that seems... vague and random tbh. I believe that manager would pick starting XI that delivers best results. And carrying player who is unable to perform his main task is counterproductive to this goal. Sure, his history buys some time, but 13 (!!) starts and 0 goals. How much longer?

My solution would be to start him from the bench.
And to play with 2 attackers in Kane and Kulu. Today and tomorrow if same chances fall to those two, I have a belief they would convert higher share. I would like to see 2 deeper CMs - say Skippy, Bentancur and Bissouma and 1 more advanced CM like PEH. But if we use deeper CMs I feel that the fullbacks would have to be be pushed even higher and even more into attacking positions. That would help to create room and chances.

I agree that ManU game was awful and we tried 3-5-2 there. Though discussed Son was absolutely shocking there - lost ball countless of times and I tend to think it was one of his worst ever performances for us.

And if we watch things comprehensively - system absolutely does change our defending. If we find a way how we can keep possession better in the midfield / higher up the field and break opposition attacks better, then it means that same defenders with same error/mistake rate come into play less.

I have deep dived the first half and Tanganga wasn't as bad as I first thought. He was beaten for the flick on leading to the first goal but didn't expect Son to lose the ball in attack. Son carries some blame for the first goal for doing so.
Kulu wasn't that great in the first half and Dier not that bad apart from deciding to try and block instead of tackle. I will be watching him closely to see if standing off is a trait.
I also noticed Dier defended a free kick by heading it out for a corner deliberately and got pats on the back from teammates. But what if Brentford had scored from the resulting corner , would Dier get the blame ?

Ref observations.

Foul on Son by Mee on 10 mins 15 secs. Should have been a yellow.

Kane penalised for a slightly high boot but Brentford player had a low head !!

Tanganga penalised after he had his shirt pulled and reacted.

On the accusation of being passive and slow. We were trying to get things going down the right. The middle was crowded and the ball wasn't running for us, either heavy touches or Brentford closing down.

So it's OK for Levy to turn Spurs into a selling club, by continually selling off the best players for 20 years, but when he had the chance to actually sell the club, to a chairman like Abramovich, who these players would have wanted to stay and play for, he gets a free pass on that too does he?

Levy has cunted over the Spurs support for two decades with this smoke and mirrors bullshit.

Sauce for the goose.

His time is up.
Where is there any evidence we are a selling club? Where?

from your posts I’m pretty sure you are a gooner. You sold Henry in his prime. You sold Fabregas in his prime. You sold Overmars in his prime. You sold van Persie in his prime. There are probably more.

don’t tell me that my team is a selling club. We have not sold just for profit. We have only sold when the player forced it.

While deep diving the second half I note that Dier created Kanes goal. Nice long ball into the sun, Doherty heads down, finds Hojbjerg who passes to Lenglet who crosses to Kane for the goal. It was a deliberate probing long ball from Dier that found its target and as a result got us back into the game....well done Eric.

Where is there any evidence we are a selling club? Where?
Harry Kane was not sold when he clearly wanted to leave.

Why was that?

Because Daniel Levy knows that if he sells Harry Kane he is finished at Spurs.

Levy was happy to take the money for Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Kane is better than all of these players but Levy did not make a serious attempt to keep any of these players at the club.

ENIC and Levy have built Spurs teams that have continually qualified for the Europa League and subsequently the Champions League. Europa League is the minimum requirement for the ENIC project as far as the football side is concerned. The overall wage budget is the bottom line for Levy and ENIC.

Champions League football is a bonus if it can be secured.

Clubs that continually sell their best players, before and during their peak years, are selling clubs.

Spurs started to do this under Alan Sugar. ENIC have continued with it. ENIC have no ambition to pay the top wages to the top players. They would rather sell a top player than pay them more money to stay and bring in other players, on similar wages, to genuinely compete with the best. Before Sugar we often bought the best players in the league, from other clubs, and broke transfer records.

ENIC and Levy have used the tried and tested model that West Ham have used since the 1960's in respect of player recruitment.

You are in denial about it.

Harry Kane was not sold when he clearly wanted to leave.

Why was that?

Because Daniel Levy knows that if he sells Harry Kane he is finished at Spurs.

Levy was happy to take the money for Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Kane is better than all of these players but Levy did not make a serious attempt to keep any of these players at the club.

Of course he did, but guaranteed trophies at peak United or RM vs a growth project under Big Martin or Redknapps plucky crusaders can't compete at those respective times.

- Modrich got told "no" and was coaxed to give us one more season.
- Rumour is Bale was and did too.
- Carrick we had no clout back then.
- Berbatov was all but kidnapped by Fergie, FFS!

Clubs that continually sell their best players, before and during their peak years, are selling clubs.

We don't "continually" do that...... Even Bale was 10 years ago.

Spurs started to do this under Alan Sugar. ENIC have continued with it. Before Sugar we often bought the best players in the league, from other clubs, and broke transfer records.

ENIC and Levy have used the tried and tested model that West Ham have used since the 1960's in respect of player recruitment.

You are in denial about it.

I'm sure it sounded like a droll knock on our club when you wrote it; but WDF is the "tried and tested 1960's West Ham model", FFS!?!?!?

Last edited:
Of course he did, but guaranteed trophies at peak United or RM vs a growth project under Big Martin or Redknapps plucky crusaders can't compete at those respective times.

- Modrich got told "no" and was coaxed to give us one more season.
- Rumour is Bale was and did too.
- Carrick we had no clout back then.
- Berbatov was all but kidknapped by Fergie, FFS!

We don't "continally" do that...... Even Bale was 10 years ago.

I'm sure it sounded like a droll knock on our club when you wrote it; but WDF is the "tried and tested 1960's West Ham model", FFS!?!?!?
Players come and go for the money.

If you pay the money they come.

If they can get more elsewhere they go.

If they can get more elsewhere and have success on the pitch then that would be the preference.

Sometimes it is to do with living in London; especially with players from abroad. This should give Spurs an advantage when it comes to recruiting and retaining players they genuinely want.

We're at that point again where ENIC's business model is being shown up for what it is.

I am no longer passionate enough about it all to attend matches or argue endlessly among ourselves about it.

ENIC have sucked the life out of Spurs.

You make excuses for the sales of players who were not as good as Kane.

Levy retained Kane for one reason.

His own arse would have been out the door because nobody who cares about Spurs would have forgiven that particular sale. He knows he can't get away with that one.

If he could have sold Toby and Eriksen he would have. They ran down their contracts.

He sold Defoe and Keane and then bought them back for Harry!

Last edited:
Players come and go for the money.

If you pay the money they come.

If they can get more elsewhere they go.

If they can get more elsewhere and have success on the pitch then that would be the preference.

Sometimes it is to do with living in London; especially with players from abroad. This should give Spurs an advantage when it comes to recruiting and retaining players they genuinely want.

We're at that point again where ENIC's business model is being shown up for what it is.

I am no longer passionate enough about it all to attend matches or argue endlessly among ourselves about it.

ENIC have sucked the life out of Spurs.

Yeh; thanks for that.... Doesn't address anything I just put to you though.

"I am no longer passionate enough about it all to attend matches or argue endlessly among ourselves about it."

Makes one wonder why you bothered signing up for a Spurs forum and regularly make multiple long posts like the one above really.

Yeh; thanks for that.... Doesn't address anything I just put to you though.

"I am no longer passionate enough about it all to attend matches or argue endlessly among ourselves about it."

Makes one wonder why you bothered signing up for a Spurs forum and regularly make multiple long posts like the one above really.
I care about Spurs.

I have a cockerel tattooed on my calf so I will always have a dog in the fight.

I packed up going to watch because of ENIC so I have little love for them or their business model.

I signed up for the forum to express my opinions.

Last edited:
Wow, you're asking me to predict the future of Romero who has just signed a 4/5 year contract with us.

Eriksen ran his contract down because the club didn't want to sell him. Levy didn't sell Kane when City offered £100m. Kane is more likely to sign a new contract.

But still... who have we sold since Walker to make us a stepping stone club???
Agreed that not many have gone on to do better things. But Kane would be incredibly stupid to sign a new contract. I'd be very very surprised if he does.

Back
Top Bottom