Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chelsea couldn’t score. Sit back, draw.

This is nonsense..... They'd already had the ball in the net three times when it was 11 v 11.....

So is hanging one's hat on the idea that a Porro / Dier / PEH / Royal back 4 is gonna successfully park the bus 9 v 11 for 45 mins.

We took a gamble and it nearly paid off...........

You could argue we’re short on depth, but tonight’s performance with the nine on the pitch shows that your mentality comment is way off the mark IMHO.

Guy always bangs on about mentality like a bad self-help guru; yet is one the most lily-livered posters here.

Ange won't ever compromise on his attacking values, regardless of the situation or opponent. Celtic copped a few hidings in the ECL last year, granted he didn't have the cattle, but they continued to play the same every minute of every game.

Sure he could have instructed the team to park the bus, and very unlikely come away with a draw, but perhaps at the expense of compromising on values which sends his players mixed signals and undermines the system that got them to 1st in the league in the first place. Think about next game, Spurs would have to pivot from a defensive mindset that was successful to an attacking one, and perhaps if they go a man down again or go a goal up there is an itch to adopt a defensive formation to protect the points they have, rather than chasing the three that are on offer like they did at Luton.

For Ange the most important thing is conditioning the players to stick to their attacking principles, even if it means occasionally throwing away points.

WOW! The average fan and pundit are focusing on the result of one game. That is why they are average fans and merely pundits.

Ange's expectation is his team plays a high-press, and don't stop until the final whistle. If he sends the message to sit back after experiencing a little adversity, he's set a precedent that he doesn't believe in his own philosophy, and he's given the player's an excuse to do it again when they want. If he did that, Spurs season is done, his career is done, and Spurs are looking for another manager for 2024/25.

Ange is playing the long game. He's playing for this season, and next season, and the season after that. Not for merely 3points on a Monday night.

He has removed any doubt and set the expectation that no matter what, they keep pressing high, they keep running, they don't merely sit back and wait to accept their fate. You need to walk away with your tail between your legs after some battles in order to win the war.

If some fans don't have the balls to stick this through with discipline and courage, then perhaps West Ham is the team for them.

Keeping possession higher up the park reduces the opposition chance to score. That's the philosophy. It worked at Luton, had it been with 8 of the first team it might have worked today. Either way when your down to 9 players with 30 minutes to go, it was an inevitable loss. You might as well play the game you've trained to play.

That HIGH_LINE stuff is no good if you are either defending or on the back-foot. You are basically inviting through balls & then a race into open space --and running backwards. If you are 8/9/ men -its suicidal. Not Rational.

sure if you are attacking - then compressed to the middle line, Sorry i don't get this 100% high-line stuff even when down to 7 men bullsh1t. at some stage either his players or assistants will revolt on this senseless tactic if they lose needlessly in this manner.

Horses fr courses.
Even a good General will have a different plan depending on the landscape or the enemy

Last edited:
I understand trust your methods, but once down to 9 players for me it has to be about protecting the players medically, the way we played meant the loss of races back and loss of races forward, there is a big differance in sharing that load between 11 or 9
how long will these players take to recover from this ?, on a normall 11 v11 match its 2 to 3 days recovery

I don’t think it was the right approach to maintain a high line after going down to 9 men. Sure it might have been entertaining even though we lost, but I think even City would drop back a bit and play more cautiously if they were in that situation.

I hope he learns because being rigid with your system might not lead the club to titles and cups in this competitive league.

Bizarrely, my (Chelsea) mate was gutted by the end. He would usually be crowing about a result such as this.

Ange’s tactics were spot on imo. Not like the mad days of Ossie (just score more goals than the others).

There is a clear vision and the players know what they need to do. Ange said in an earlier post-match that he doesn’t expect to be the one to solve the problems on the pitch: that’s for the players to do. It’s why he doesn’t run up and down the touch line screaming and pointing at where he wants grown men to stand like Lego-boy or Conte.

I loved the fact the players who remained last night were getting amped, congratulating every block, every tackle. We had players like Royal stepping up and showing leadership qualities. Who would have thought that a year or two ago?

We can pick over the details, but I was left with a sense of this team being unfrightened, and that we are at the start of something special.

I think Ange was almost waiting for the opportunity to play the suicidal High line tactic to see proof that his team had really got it. I'm all for it too, it was entertaining, it's part of the learning journey the team need to go on and this was actually a pretty low stakes game if you can look at it dispassionately. I also think it's too early to expect us to handle being front runners in a league battle; putting pressure on from second or third spot will be much better for us at our current stage of development.

That said, if last night had been the champions league final, I would have expected a less extreme version of the tactics. To be balanced, I also agree with an earlier comment that Ange may have overcooked his pre match hyping up of the players. I wasn't sure why he got the yellow card either, but as much as he likes to be the calm one in the eye of the storm, he is also only human.

Another brightside for those who can't get to games, TV companies will be queuing up to televise us, we are just so watchable now.

I understand trust your methods, but once down to 9 players for me it has to be about protecting the players medically, the way we played meant the loss of races back and loss of races forward, there is a big differance in sharing that load between 11 or 9
how long will these players take to recover from this ?, on a normall 11 v11 match its 2 to 3 days recovery

It's not necessarily about trusting methods. It's about removing doubt about the manager's expectations and standards. That's more important than 3 points. Modifying the players running effort could've been done easily, but for Ange that's a compromise that he couldn't afford to take. It plants the seed for players to not work in another game, if they have an excuse.

Ange is reaffirming his expectations here. The team will be better for it in the long run. He's sacrificed 3 points here to make sure they win more in future.

Any coach and high performance staff worth their salt will flex the week and lower the training loads leading into Wolves. This stuff can be adjusted easily. Nailing player standards and expectations isn't. Once you've lost that authority, it's virtually impossible to get it back.

Feels like that Clough on bbc back in the day when he talked about pundits picking over decisions and undermining refs.

He’s a bit like him on his attitude iof we play our way, we don’t play to counter the opposition
Loved Cloughie. Ange has a whiff of that but he'll never be funny like Cloughie was.

He has been getting much deserved praise so far, but after last night he deserves to be questioned after a game like that...
It's not acceptable to loose 4-1 at home against them, especially with 9 men...its just tactically stupid, if you're man city and gave basically the best team in world football then fine, fill your boots..
We don't and never probably will, so just throwing a game against Chelsea is not acceptable. The 2 red cards obviously fucked up his plan, but you have to adapt. Not just blindly keep going hell for leather with 9 men.
That probably works in Australia, Japan or Scotland, but not in the Premier league.
I really have been amazed by his work with our squad and the way he talks, but last night was a shit show that he deserves some of the blame for....

Loved Cloughie. Ange has a whiff of that but he'll never be funny like Cloughie was.
yeah, agreed - he just reminds me a bit of him on his philosophy and straight talking. Grew up with a brother who was a massive forest fan because of Clough despite being a Londoner so defo get it :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom