Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello Spurs fans
I’m a Celtic fan and I’ve read this thread, mainly to see if any of you were ITK about Ange but a few comments need to be addressed.

A lot of you seem to be referencing Gerrard as a measure of success in Scotland. Gerrard won a single title and no cups in three seasons. It was 1 trophy out of 9 he competed for. He wasn’t a success, he was hyped up by his friends in the media because he’s Steven Gerrard. Ange won more than him in ten months. He’s currently on 4 trophies out of 5 with a cup final this weekend to make it 5 out of 6.

“Rangers have a bloke in charge that must have won a competition or something” is another comment that has stood out. After Gerrard left, Rangers appointed GVB who had won the league at Feyenoord… Isn’t that the same pedigree as the guy Slot you all wanted last week? He then took Rangers to a Europa league final 11 months ago.
This season we’ve won the league against a Rangers team that had over 90 points. A total that would have won the title 9 times out of 10. We did it by scoring a record number of goals. We beat them in a semi final and a cup final. As I said, they were in a Europa final… not a bad team you know, beating Dortmund, RB etc.

Rodger’s was a good manager who was up against incredibly poor competition. A Rangers side that had just returned to the league and had people like Mark Warburton I charge and Scottish players with no pedigree. His trebles do not compare to the one Ange is on the verge of winning and frankly his football was extremely boring for the most part and he had the personality and charisma of a dish cloth.

When Ange joined us we were also underwhelmed, our forums had splits down the middle too and we started the season really poorly going out of the CL to some Danish team and losing quite a few of our opening games but when it clicked, it clicked and I’ve watched some of the most exciting, dynamic and expansive football I’ve ever seen us play. The guy has a good ethos on how the game should be played which is quick, front foot, attacking football. It’s all about winning and winning playing the football he likes. He has no time for defensive, turgid approaches to games. We went into a game against Real Madrid with one pivot in the 6, two 8s, two wingers and inverted full backs. He has no fear and we love that. We play single pivot against everyone and we press really high up the pitch, 100 miles from the off with a lot of great rotations on each wing. We take quick free kicks, corners and throw ins. You can find a lot good examples of that play from these games:

I can understand your reservations although some of it does come across as slightly entitled but you’re a club that seems a bit lost, there’s no connection between fans, manager and players. You’ve had a lot of big time hires that haven’t worked out. This guy is probably exactly what you should be looking for. He really unites the team and the fans together, he’s a passionate guy with incredible presence. Our players will run through walls for him but they are also shit scared of him. He has no time for egomaniacs or primadonnas. He’ll weed them out fast.
Lastly, this man is a mentality monster. You are criticising his lack of pedigree. Wake up, do you know how difficult it is for a guy who’s managing in Australia to get noticed? There’s a bias towards managers from Europe or in Europe. The Morocco manager referenced it during the World Cup.
Ange has had no help, no leg up ala Gerrard, Lampard etc. He started off with Australia U17s and now he could become the first Australian to manage in the EPL. He rocked up at Celtic with not one member of staff. He backs himself like you wouldn’t believe and people follow this guy, he gets everyone on board. As for Levy, Ange is in charge of everything at Celtic. He does all the signings, he rejigged all the youth set up so now they all play the same tactics as the first team. He oversees the full project. We don’t have a DOF.

Absolutely desperate for him to stay at Celtic but I know the nature of the beast. We worship him like a God. I’ve never known a manager to be so in sync with the fans. We know Ange though and he’ll be very keen on being the first Aussie to manage in the EPL given everything he’s had to overcome to get here.

Last edited:
Hi, i have been keeping an eye on this forum since Ange started getting linked to the job. My hope as a celtic fan would be that Spurs find a bigger name manager and we get to keep Ange. The more time passes the more it seems like this could be a goer.

So i wanted to let you know some thoughts.

Ange came to celtic after Eddie Howe pulled out at the last minute after months of it being a "done deal". He came in through the covid period and immediately found a scottish media desperate to hang him out dry. Majoiry of celtic fans were disappointed dropping from Howe to an unknown, but after finding out a bit about him, we willing to give him a chance (much like many on here seem prepared to do)

After a slow start, Ange pretty quickly put is mark on the team, and the football we started to play is the best i have ever seen. Better than Rodgers team, Martin O'Neill etc. He has no time for players who dont want to be at the club, regardless of reputation, he wants guys who want to be there and its a team ethic over individuals.

His recruitment has been very good, but this is due to him having a clear idea of how he wants the team to play (inverted full backs, fast paced posesion football).

What i have noticed is that better footballers excel under him and ever a lot of average players are improved.

Ange also is very good with the media, and he represents the team well, he can put out fires really well and gets everyone pulling in the right direction.

Lastly, a couple of things, The guys who run celtic, are pretty good a what the do. The Chairmans son worked for the City group for a long time (he has now joined celtic) and it was this relationship that led us to Ange after Eddie Howe (who most people agree would also have been a good appointment.

The City group know football.. Scott Munn was part of this and he will know the candidates linked with the job. Conte and Mourinho were world class managers, but from an outsider, they didnt fit the spurs model. Spurs need someone willing to make the place better, the team better and not sit about grumpy that you dont have the money Man City or Chelsea do.

This reminds me so much of Klopp’s first season at Pool.

The mad way of playing, the fight and mental strength of the manager (Ange is far less a prick though), the squad that is part suited and part not suited to the task and thus the up and down results.

Today was great, next game we might lose and given our bad injury luck this up and down will be our season. But I have no doubt we have the right manager for the job, club need to properly back him and club/levy/fans need to be patient as this season is clearly a building one due to the issue with the squad and our absurd injury luck.

Some of you cunts need to get over yourselves...take a look at the Pochettino thread and take a note of all the fucking experts running him down before he even set foot in the door...

This guy is the best we can do at the minute and I've had a gut full of born winners shitting on my club...

I can't stop this feeling of disbelief as to how fast everything has changed.

May 2023; couldn't wait for the season to end. Every match was terrifying; would our defence hold up or would there be an embarrassing collapse? We were the butt of all jokes in the media and with opposition fans, and not just the usual suspects 'Tottenham get battered...' We're out of Europe. Our best scorer was on the way out, and our second best had forgotten how to score. Our style of play was like watching paint dry. You really questioned whether a lot of players wanted to be here. We'd had 3 managers, 1 of whom publicly tore us down and wrote us off. Large parts of the fan base hated the chairman and our director of football has resigned after accusations of malpractice.

Early October 2023. We have a new manager with an attacking ethos that aligns with our club's great history. He's got the players and the fan base united behind him and deeply connected with each other. Our young new defence look like future world beaters. We have a team who are hungry and stacked with potential, and youth teams playing out of their skins and knocking at the first team's door. Our recruitment team are smashing it. We have a player leadership team who are passionate and want to change the narrative. Kane is gone but no one's that bothered. Match atmospheres are incredible. The media love us and our manager is a master at managing them. Opposition fans are beyond salty. I can't wait to see our next game. And we're top of all 3 leagues.

I know it's just a moment in time, and we still have many challenges, but this is a sweet day to reflect. Whatever happens over the rest of the season, what a turn around. What a team.

Ange: I want my team to play great football and win trophies

Bald cunt: good football, that’s all we want

They are not pulling in the same direction, this doesn’t look good at all

Like I said before, this football club will never be successful under cancerous enic.
Carl. I'm gonna put this as plainly as I can...

Shut the fuck up.

We're all enjoying the season. We don't want all this shit that we've all heard for years.

Put it on the back burner and embrace Angeball... And only Angeball.

We're having fun. Singing songs. If you can't join in then stop posting for a few months.

If it is him I’m happy enough, plays great football and has players running through walls for him

Not every appointment has to be a big name to work out, this isn’t fifa

He’s got my backing until he does something that doesn’t warrant it anymore

I don't know how the hell he's done it but this is a TEAM again
Not a collection of players
They are all in it for each other and him, it's incredible
Everything he says, everything the players say, how they act, it's like night and fucking day compared to last year
Even if we don't win fuck all its just so much more satisfying

It’s clear this Ange guy doesn’t have a clue, the football may be exciting, the fans may like it and actually look forward to game days, players may have greatly improved under his coaching, his press conferences may be entertaining and informative, they may have made the most tackles of any premier league yet be the most fouled, spurs style of play may be getting them noticed worldwide, if the guy is so good why didn’t he tell the players to score more goals than Man City, the reigning, premier league, European league and world club champions. Overrated mate.

I can't keep up with all the posts that have been made in the last hour or so, so apologies if I am repeating stuff that has already been mentioned.
All I want to say is that I admire Ange for even taking this on. The job has become more difficult than it should be, due to all that's gone since Poch left. I don't need to go into detail, we all know what's occurred.
From the little I have seen, Ange seems a straight-up guy, who hopefully will have us playing some decent football and competing for at least a domestic trophy, to get that particular monkey off our back.
We've tried the so-called big names who make us feel that they're doing us a favour by being our manager. I knew nothing about Ange before he was linked with us, but I wouldn't consider that as an issue, if Mourinho and Conte are anything to go by.
If it has to be without Harry Kane, then so be it.
I think people have to a) give him a chance and b) give him time to put his ideas and practices in place, before condemning him to the useless pile before a ball has been kicked.
One more thing, Levy has to butt out of football decisions and let Ange do his job - more worried about this, than Ange coping with PL management TBH.

Back
Top Bottom