Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is seriously good shit............. I know of not one other manager that would have so wholeheartedly made these comments.

The bit about trying to bend the rules is awesome....... Look at all the other massively hypocritical cunts like Klopp & Lego-fuck that think their shit doesn't stink.

MY MANAGER. :ange-clap:
Feels like that Clough on bbc back in the day when he talked about pundits picking over decisions and undermining refs.

He’s a bit like him on his attitude iof we play our way, we don’t play to counter the opposition

What was the question he was responding to? I hate when people cut out what's been asked. The question is what contextualizes the response.

Whether PL manager should get together as a group, meet the refs as group, and then as managers explain to the refs how to uuhhhmmmmm ref matches.

Words to that effect. Stupid, stupid shit.

fair enough you think playing a high line with 2 men less is brave but dont talk nonsense! they was just waiting to pick us off, if they were actually half decent that should of been 8-1. would you still think it was fun and we were better then?
Yep. They weren't waiting to pick us off. They didn't have a clue what they were doing and starting to panic.

Meanwhile, even with 9, we had three glorious chances to score. If we sit back I don't think we get them.

Also, everyone hates Dier cos he was crap apparently in a team that sat back and invited pressure so why subject him to that again?!

Sitting back is an awful game to watch. Ange-ball is refreshing.

1 point if we sit back and soak or nil points because we were suicidal?

Are we trying to win this league or not?

Want to actually take a run at City? You do it by trying to go grab 3 points and be ruthless about it. You go for it, 9 men be dammed.

Sitting back and praying for a draw is the losing mentality actually. What I saw tonight tells me we at least have the right attitude to go win things.

Yep. They weren't waiting to pick us off. They didn't have a clue what they were doing and starting to panic.

Meanwhile, even with 9, we had three glorious chances to score. If we sit back I don't think we get them.

Also, everyone hates Dier cos he was crap apparently in a team that sat back and invited pressure so why subject him to that again?!

sitting back with 11 men is very different to sitting back with 9 men.

sitting back with 11 men is very different to sitting back with 9 men.

Sitting back was never going to happen with this manager and if we get into the same position again it's not going to happen.

F-SUak8XAAAag6A

everyone's open to criticism, just because its been great up till today doesnt mean he hasnt got it wrong tonight. its unlucky but hes been forced to go to a plan B. we lose to any side in the league tonight going down to 9 men and having dier chasing back from the halfway line against players who have already got a headstart on him. you've got two less men available to press so they can just pick us apart. the udogie second yellow is because we are stretched as it is with just 10 men playing high. his plan A is great when you have the ingredients, when you dont it can be a painful watch...especially when donkey cunts like jackson are scoring 3 its fucking embarrassing.
Play deep in that situation and Chelsea are still overwhelming favourites to win the match, so it's not like he threw away guaranteed points or anything. Plus, maybe we don't even create that Sonny chance if we aren't squeezing the pitch and playing so high.

I get the criticism though. Conventional wisdom is that you drop deep in that scenario and defend your box.

Having said that, it's also worth factoring in that this is the way the team are drilled to play day in day out. Defensive managers like Conte and Mourinho probably spend 70% of the week working on all different types of defensive structures for different scenarios, whereas most of our defensive work will be focused on high line defending.

So with that in mind, do I think that playing 30 minutes on the edge of our box with 9-men, a makeshift defence and an unfamiliar defensive system would have brought a different outcome? It's unlikely.

I've got a feeling that if you told Ange what the result would be, he'd still go the same route. As many have said, based on recent results there's plenty of reason to believe we would lose sitting back anyway (like others and myself said during the match in the thread).

So it's likely we were taking 0 points anyway, or 1 point at most. 100%, drawing the line in the sand there and saying that Spurs will not back down will emphasize to this squad that the old Spurs are gone for good and will win us more than 1 point over the next 27 matches.

Play deep in that situation and Chelsea are still overwhelming favourites to win the match, so it's not like he threw away guaranteed points or anything. Plus, maybe we don't even create that Sonny chance if we aren't squeezing the pitch and playing so high.

I get the criticism though. Conventional wisdom is that you drop deep in that scenario and defend your box.

Having said that, it's also worth factoring in that this is the way the team are drilled to play day in day out. Defensive managers like Conte and Mourinho probably spend 70% of the week working on all different types of defensive structures for different scenarios, whereas most of our defensive work will be focused on high line defending.

So with that in mind, do I think that playing 30 minutes on the edge of our box with 9-men, a makeshift defence and an unfamiliar defensive system would have brought a different outcome? It's unlikely.
they would still be favourites of course but they are well known to struggle this year against teams that sit deep and compact. horses for courses. im taking it phillips is injured because dier is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike if hes going to push up to the halfway line. jesus christ he wasnt much use anyway but we might as well just pay him off now.

and while the udogie second yellow you can argue is silly from him, hes stretched to fuck and faced a 3 on 2 with dier as his backup! that doesnt happen with a system change.

How many teams out there could lose three out of four first choice defenders (including both centre- backs), go down to 9 men, and still successfully park the bus for 60mins?

The correct answer to anyone with half a brain is "none".

The moment this happens, 95% of the time you're going to lose the game. Liverpool have a deeper squad and they were unable to pull off something similar only three weeks ago in the same stadium, with all of their defenders still on.

A manager in this situation has to think about "what's my best chance to get a result?"

Ange's answer was "I've got B team defenders on, but I've still got great midfielders and Son on the pitch, so our best chance is to play our way and try to grab a goal". In my view, the correct decision - the ball went into the back of the Chelsea net twice. With better luck you might keep it to 2-2 or a 2-3 loss. It ends up 1-4, which is probably would have happened anyway.

Love this guy. Love his attitude. His honesty. His ambition. He’ll take us far.
This is his FIRST season and our saddest moment yet is losing to Chelsea at home because we went down to 9 men (and still had multiple chances to draw it or win) and we are sitting one point behind City with the chance to still go above them, even if just for a short while.

Imagine what he can do next season, never been more excited to be a fan of this football club than right now tbh.

The only downside is that twat Poch (yes, I can't stand him now, I know some people disagree but he is Judas level for me joining that scum racist club) and that club are the first team to beat us this season.

Also, we have had multiple key injuries in the process, it's a hard pill to swallow but I can see the bigger picture now and I have no fear for the future as things stand and I couldn't have said that 12 months ago.

Last edited:
I've got a feeling that if you told Ange what the result would be, he'd still go the same route.
As crazy as that sounds, it's probably correct. And I don't think it's because Ange is inflexible or stubborn for the sake of it, but because it's always about the bigger picture and building something.

This will reiterate to the group that this is our way of paying and it doesn't change. It won't always work but there are many, many times this season where it has, and it very nearly could have tonight with the chances we had to make it 2-2.

Last edited:
I see a lot of comparisons drawn between how Ange handled 9 men compared to Klopp. I think a key difference was Klopp still had his starting back 4 on the field, take 3 of Van Dijk, Matip and Robertson off the pitch by the 55th minute and it would have been a bloodbath, It’s one thing to say Chelsea have struggled against low blocks this season but against 9 for 50 minutes you will find space and your best defenders are no longer there, it’s almost inevitable another penalty probably would have been given away as well with the amount of desperation that would have been required. A lot will be made of the high line but ultimately no matter what path you take it’s almost impossible to get out of that situation. If anyone had said when Udogie came off that Son would have a chance to equalise in the 94th minute you’d take it in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom