Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has been getting much deserved praise so far, but after last night he deserves to be questioned after a game like that...
It's not acceptable to loose 4-1 at home against them, especially with 9 men...its just tactically stupid, if you're man city and gave basically the best team in world football then fine, fill your boots..
We don't and never probably will, so just throwing a game against Chelsea is not acceptable. The 2 red cards obviously fucked up his plan, but you have to adapt. Not just blindly keep going hell for leather with 9 men.
That probably works in Australia, Japan or Scotland, but not in the Premier league.
I really have been amazed by his work with our squad and the way he talks, but last night was a shit show that he deserves some of the blame for....
Ye of little faith...

It is better to fail playing high than to succeed playing low. And we of Spurs have set our line very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory....

Ange won't ever compromise on his attacking values, regardless of the situation or opponent. Celtic copped a few hidings in the ECL last year, granted he didn't have the cattle, but they continued to play the same every minute of every game.

Sure he could have instructed the team to park the bus, and very unlikely come away with a draw, but perhaps at the expense of compromising on values which sends his players mixed signals and undermines the system that got them to 1st in the league in the first place. Think about next game, Spurs would have to pivot from a defensive mindset that was successful to an attacking one, and perhaps if they go a man down again or go a goal up there is an itch to adopt a defensive formation to protect the points they have, rather than chasing the three that are on offer like they did at Luton.

For Ange the most important thing is conditioning the players to stick to their attacking principles, even if it means occasionally throwing away points.

I’m actually amazed they stuck to it, did what the manager said and didn’t retreat. If anything that shows how on board they are with the manager, which can only be a good thing. It’s going to be hard with whatever back four we put out against wolves though. We might just have to put score them. Can’t miss any chances.

He has been getting much deserved praise so far, but after last night he deserves to be questioned after a game like that...
It's not acceptable to loose 4-1 at home against them, especially with 9 men...its just tactically stupid, if you're man city and gave basically the best team in world football then fine, fill your boots..
We don't and never probably will, so just throwing a game against Chelsea is not acceptable. The 2 red cards obviously fucked up his plan, but you have to adapt. Not just blindly keep going hell for leather with 9 men.
That probably works in Australia, Japan or Scotland, but not in the Premier league.
I really have been amazed by his work with our squad and the way he talks, but last night was a shit show that he deserves some of the blame for....
How you see this as "throwing a game" or going "hell for leather" is absolutely beyond me. We had 3 significant chances created with 9 men on the field (Dier's offside volley, Son's jinking run and Bentancur's mistimed header). One of those goes in, we're level and potentially consolidate for the draw. And a swift changing in your tune too, I imagine.

The scoreline shows a whipping but I've rarely felt more galvanised after a Spurs performance.

Your post reads like you didn’t even watch the game. At 2 1 down going into the last ten minutes Dier had a goal disallowed that looked onside, bentancur and son had unbelievably good choices to get an equaliser. He was playing like that to get the goal. Had it gone 2 all it’s pretty obvious we would have then changed our game plan and defended deeper.

Your post reads like you didn’t even watch the game. At 2 1 down going into the last ten minutes Dier had a goal disallowed that looked onside, bentancur and son had unbelievably good choices to get an equaliser. He was playing like that to get the goal. Had it gone 2 all it’s pretty obvious we would have then changed our game plan and defended deeper.
Would we..??

It's a marathon (over seasons, not just one) not a sprint. Shipping 4 goals looks ugly -and it's about the method - what's the cost of changing your plan, and what do you overtly, or inadvertently reinforce as a byproduct.

If you can't see that - then you're wedded to short term feel good outcomes rather than the genuine growth for the 'organisation'. I get we are starved for success, but I'm happy to accept a defeat in this manner due to the context, in service of the bigger picture.

1 loss... and the gaffer isn't up to it... FMD - fair weathered supporters.

The award for tonight’s most Spursy post goes to.

Bet you’re fun at party’s

I had a bad feeling about last night's game.

I don't do blind optinism. Plenty of others can do that.

And correct, no fun at a party I don't like.

We can't just wish we are better tban other clubs and can't start believing we are the best thing since sliced bread, especially when down to 10 men against a multi million pound side. That's as arrogant as it is stupid.

We got a sh!t hand last night. Bouncing back on Saturday will be a big ask but then we will get a better indication of how good we are, or
not. Big test for Postecoglou.

People need to get perspective. We are 3 to 5 players short in my opinion.

Can't say how much higher my estimation of ange can go.
While all around are piling more and more pressure on match officials and slaughtering them for a var system that works against them too his measured calm response to last nights debacle he's lifted us above all the hype and shite.
Let's be honest ...both players deserved to go..romero will always have that headless chicken game in him but its a risk we take with his undoubted quality.
weird thing is we've probably raised our own expectations in defeat last night.
Glad I was there..kudos to our home support ..

Can't say how much higher my estimation of ange can go.
While all around are piling more and more pressure on match officials and slaughtering them for a var system that works against them too his measured calm response to last nights debacle he's lifted us above all the hype and shite.
Let's be honest ...both players deserved to go..romero will always have that headless chicken game in him but its a risk we take with his undoubted quality.
weird thing is we've probably raised our own expectations in defeat last night.
Glad I was there..kudos to our home support ..

And the most important thing is he is 100% right

It plants the seed for players to not work in another game, if they have an excuse.
That’s utter bullshit. You’d say the likes of Klopp have never “compromised” on his system, adjusted it, made them play shit for a while to secure the result?

Don’t get me wrong, I like what the manager is doing right now at the club, but he needs to learn to adjust imo. We’re not the richest, biggest nor ambitious club in this league so he can get away with playing a single system all season. He’ll have different players at disposal in the upcoming games and if he thinks he can play the same type of football with our back-up players, well, he’d be a brave man...

I remember the issue was exactly the same when Poch was manager. People were complaining that he’d rather die than tweak his system.

Last edited:
In another world, Bentancur puts his header away or Son finishes his chance and we sneak away with a draw, calling Ange the greatest manager of all time.

They ran out of legs yesterday in the end, but Ange stuck to his methods and it's exactly the way I want us to play. We could've nicked it.

I bet the next time they're in the trenches together we pull it off, because those players know now that Ange believes in them and they will all be feeling gutted they couldn't pull it off last night.

Had we sat back, the scoreline would've ended the same way.

If I was Arteta I'd be furious too - fucking dreadful decision, but the true class comes through when you don't carry on like a prick when the decision is long taken and done.

Ange will have have won a whole lot of brownie points with that performance and you never know... maybe a little bit of karma also.

I don’t think it was the right approach to maintain a high line after going down to 9 men. Sure it might have been entertaining even though we lost, but I think even City would drop back a bit and play more cautiously if they were in that situation.

I hope he learns because being rigid with your system might not lead the club to titles and cups in this competitive league.
Oh well if City would do it...!

All this talk about Spurs players being cowards over the last few seasons and it seems loads of our fans are too!

Last night was brilliant for the players to see that Ange is all in. Whatever gets thrown at us, we play how we want.

Fuck City. We are Tottenham.

I loved the fact that we went out all guns blazing, still trying to win the game rather than capitulating and going out with a whimper.

This is the mindset and attitude that I want to see from this team, absolutely fearless.

Fucking Love this team.

chelsea are well known to struggle against sides who sit deep this year. you cant play a high line with 9 fucking men....jackson hat trick ffs! fucking donkey. got donkey dier trying to run back to catch the man whos ready for a cut back, suicide.

If you're not on board with Ange ball, then find someone else to follow. We're playing his way, and that's it.

Get on the train, or get the fuck outta here.

I loved the fact that we went out all guns blazing, still trying to win the game rather than capitulating and going out with a whimper.

This is the mindset and attitude that I want to see from this team, absolutely fearless.

Fucking Love this team.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

If I was Arteta I'd be furious too - fucking dreadful decision, but the true class comes through when you don't carry on like a prick when the decision is long taken and done.

Ange will have have won a whole lot of brownie points with that performance and you never know... maybe a little bit of karma also.
You'd like to think that his reaction would have a positive effect on referees as well going forward.

Unfortunately, these refs are under orders from the PL to ensure the deck is loaded against us. How can Romero's tackle be judged a straight Red when Havertz gets a Yellow. How is an elbow to the head not deemed violent conduct and not get a Red? At 10 apiece we then regain our momentum.

Back
Top Bottom