Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we don't go out and get the forwards we need to make Ange's system work then it's just not going to work.

We have a high press and a high defensive line. We are always going to be vulnerable on the counter. That will ALWAYS be a feature of Ange's football in the Premier League. In this system, you need to have forwards who are good enough to create and score chances consistently against defensively resilient sides. We don't have that.

Johnson, Kulusevski and Werner just aren't good enough. End of story. They might be one day but the reality is that they're not right now and they're starting games for us.

Two new starting wingers along with a new starting centre forward needed. Anything less and it's not enough.

I just don't see Levy giving Postecoglou what he needs to make his system work. And if that happens, paired with ENIC's decision to increase season ticket prices and shit over our pensioners, I'm done with football. I will not be watching us next season if Levy does what I think we all know he's going to do.
But he wanted Johnson and made the club over pay by £12M for him. He gave the nod to pay up for kulu and he agreed to Werner. Not counting Solomon as his been injured.

Cant play a highline for highline sake. The amount of times our defenders have had to sprint back because of a simple through ball means the positioning and tactics ahead of the ball are off axis.

We are not the only team in the league whose centre half's push high up the pitch. Woolwich, Liverpool, Man City all do it. But we get played through far more often and concede much more goals.

We concede way too many goals to be able to get to 80 points.
Yes 100%. Many teams play on the front foot, press, or like Brighton build up play through patterns from the back. It’s not like his invented attacking football. Would you say the football under Harry or Poch was not attacking? In fact their football was defo front foot straight from the off. We almost look half asleep and stroll around with the ball no urgency and no tempo.

The way Ange will be looking at things is - the system works, if the players do their job.

Before we conceded against Fulham, Son, Maddison and Johnson had very clear chances on goal. I would argue that the all 3 of these chances should have led to a goal. Also, Dragusin put a wonderful cross into the 5 yard box and nobody was there. Its football 101 to have somebody running onto the back post.

Had we gone ahead first, completely different game.

Yes 100%. Many teams play on the front foot, press, or like Brighton build up play through patterns from the back. It’s not like his invented attacking football. Would you say the football under Harry or Poch was not attacking? In fact their football was defo front foot straight from the off. We almost look half asleep and stroll around with the ball no urgency and no tempo.
for a lot of seasons now we have been poor in the first half, think it started under Poch, I can remember moaning on here about why Poch can't get us up for it from the go

The way Ange will be looking at things is - the system works, if the players do their job.

Before we conceded against Fulham, Son, Maddison and Johnson had very clear chances on goal. I would argue that the all 3 of these chances should have led to a goal. Also, Dragusin put a wonderful cross into the 5 yard box and nobody was there. Its football 101 to have somebody running onto the back post.

Had we gone ahead first, completely different game.
But we didn't get ahead first, and many of the players were poor for sum reason, we could all see that Yet the Manager did nothing and just waited, that is a Probelm, Can't he see the players arn't working (that game) ?

for a lot of seasons now we have been poor in the first half, think it started under Poch, I can remember moaning on here about why Poch can't get us up for it from the go
Bringing it back to this season theres been games where we started very well but faded a little. Luton, Chelsea, Villa, West Ham off the top of my head and games were we’ve had good and quiet spells throughout the game. That’s just football and where we are as a team at the moment. Only really the very best teams can dominate for 70-80% of a match

Bringing it back to this season theres been games where we started very well but faded a little. Luton, Chelsea, Villa, West Ham off the top of my head and games were we’ve had good and quiet spells throughout the game. That’s just football and where we are as a team at the moment. Only really the very best teams can dominate for 70-80% of a match

And most of the time it's because they've built up their reputation enough that the opponents are either beaten before the whilst has even blown or give up when they realise they aren't going to get anything.

We're not there.

I think he really needs to get to work on Udogie and Porro and get their game up to the standards it was earlier in the season and it will have a marked difference in the side's performance. Trouble is, I suspect they are tired as it is a demanding position in Ange's team and possibly carrying slight injuries. It is why we need to recruit well in those positions in the summer, so that they can both have a rest and have proper competition for their places.

I think he really needs to get to work on Udogie and Porro and get their game up to the standards it was earlier in the season and it will have a marked difference in the side's performance. Trouble is, I suspect they are tired as it is a demanding position in Ange's team and possibly carrying slight injuries. It is why we need to recruit well in those positions in the summer, so that they can both have a rest and have proper competition for their places.

The one main problem I have with not going to games is that you never really know what players are having to do off the ball.

TV cameras only ever follow the ball but the reality is most of the game is going on away from it.

Early in the season oppo managers wouldn’t have had the same amount of data to evaluate spurs so can imagine udogie and porro got a bit more freedom too.
Now I’d expect that managers must try and exploit these two coming inside so much. And when they do how much pressure is in the FBs to get back into position?

But I think you’re spot on. European top level football (hopefully) will mean we need to recruit very well in those two positions. Stand out weakest areas in terms of second string of players. Along with another experienced CB.

Udogie must have had a decent corkie from the McGinn hack tackle, it's prettty much the only way to slow him down

Porro and destiny leave space bcos of the tactics. They are so far forward and in field it’s ridiculous. Not sure many other teams play like that tbh. About of the times they are not available for a pass bcos they are in a congested midfield area. We may as well not play with Fans and just play extra midfielders. The number of times they have to play catch when a ball is played down the channel it’s stupid. They get blamed for leaving space but if we are attacking and they are in midfield if we lose the ball they are fucked.

Porro and destiny leave space bcos of the tactics. They are so far forward and in field it’s ridiculous. Not sure many other teams play like that tbh. About of the times they are not available for a pass bcos they are in a congested midfield area. We may as well not play with Fans and just play extra midfielders. The number of times they have to play catch when a ball is played down the channel it’s stupid. They get blamed for leaving space but if we are attacking and they are in midfield if we lose the ball they are fucked.
I said this a few times before. The amount of sprinting back our players have to do is indicative that the highline is still in development. As for the 'work in progress'. Some works dont often get finished. My biggest concern is we dont improve our highline and press to Liverpool, Man City, Woolwich levels and we are again next season counting the goals we concede.

When you look at the goals conceded by the top 3, and compare to the rest of the league, thats why they are in the top 3. And no, its not because of 'injuries', its because we play a really high line and lack the tactical balance to do so.

I hope its still in development stage. But part of me worries this is philosophy - we play a highline for highline sake.

I hope its still in development stage. But part of me worries this is philosophy - we play a highline for highline sake.
All the best team play thier own style and impose it upon the oposition in games. Very rarely in a league game will you see a coach of a top team abandon their usual style of play.

knockout games such as cup finals however you often see try something unexpected of them.

Being the best team in the league is all about concistency and getting your squad playing in a disciplined system. Even Leicester won the league by playing identical kick and rush every game.

It took Arteta a few seasons to get it right at Woolwich. And Klopp at Liverpool. It will take Ange time to get it right here.

That's a mis-representation. He said he doesn't want to *just* qualify for Champions League football. He wants to be challenging to win it. Yes you first gotta be in it to win it, but being in it is not the end goal. Winning it is.

Of course he can't go out publically and say it directly, but there is a message there to the owners: give me the tools to win the Champions League, not just compete in it.
Ffs the first aim should be to qualify. Why give up trying to qualify if you think you are gonna stink the place out. If that is the case almost 2/3rds of the teams that qualify might as well not bother. Also goes without saying that once in any competition you should aim to win it. However saying if you can’t challenge for it is a defeatist attitude. Also if we are in a process / project and people say it’s gonna take 3/4 yrs then why should we be saying we need to win CL from no where. No one is expecting us to win it if we qualify. Did Ange say at Celtic in the 2 campaigns he had that let’s not qualify bcos they couldn’t win it?

Brentford apparently had earlier in the summer agreed £35M deal with NF from what I heard.

No... Not "agreed".

Forest turned them down because they insisted on maximising their asset cos of looming FFP problems.

This acknowledgement was central to their defense when contesting their FFP case.

Apparently; they tried to retro-actively argue that they could have sold him earlier, but crucially couldn't evidence any such agreement of terms.

Ffs the first aim should be to qualify. Why give up trying to qualify if you think you are gonna stink the place out. If that is the case almost 2/3rds of the teams that qualify might as well not bother. Also goes without saying that once in any competition you should aim to win it. However saying if you can’t challenge for it is a defeatist attitude. Also if we are in a process / project and people say it’s gonna take 3/4 yrs then why should we be saying we need to win CL from no where. No one is expecting us to win it if we qualify. Did Ange say at Celtic in the 2 campaigns he had that let’s not qualify bcos they couldn’t win it?

That's not what he means.

What he is saying is that this club should be competing to win it, and not be like the 2/3rds of the teams who's goal is just to be in it.

At Celtic he said Celtic should be in the Champions League every season, I think the words were that Celtic belong in the Champions League.

That's not what he means.

What he is saying is that this club should be competing to win it, and not be like the 2/3rds of the teams who's goal is just to be in it.

At Celtic he said Celtic should be in the Champions League every season, I think the words were that Celtic belong in the Champions League.
Yes great competing to win it is great but let’s take small steps in this project and bloody well try to do our best to be in it.

Back
Top Bottom