Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ange has said the same thing after pretty much every game this season, win or loss, in that this season it’s about instilling the kind of football we want to play. He gets a free pass from me no matter what this season.

If by this time next year there is no improvements tactically, then maybe we can start asking questions. But right now he deserves 100% backing by everyone: the board, players, and fans.

View: https://youtu.be/Mwe8wJcDUYA?si=uoRcT26Rts5vUjDL

Enjoyed that Spurs positive affirmation tornado he whipped up at the end there 🤣 Jon Mackenzie from The Athletic seems like a good bloke, I'd buy him a beer for sure after that

Ange adapting and Spurs spending!!

Aussies now 2/3 on the front row at Spurs, after watching Scott Munn do his thing for the first time, they do bring a positive optimism vibe to what they say in front of the camera at least, maybe it's the weather here, got to be happy with some sweet words now and then after the chosen one and the cunt stunk it up so bad

I enjoyed that. Cheers for posting. I can’t work out who Mackenzie supports. Hes got an Athletic pod on us out this week at some point.

People talk about our defence this season but last season our defence was a joke. Seems like our press is keeping our opps away from our goal, last season there was virtually no press so teams could easily play through us.

and take shots. Remember how many times in games our keeper had to make a save or the opposition took a shot. It seemed to be incessant.

It is because as a club we dont really know what we are. We want to be one of the biggest clubs in Europe but arent run the way to be one. Not that West Ham are either, they just took a winnable competition seriously and won it, we could have done the same. Until we do enough to become one or decide what we want to be we will be eternally stuck in the same position. Changing the manager doesnt seem to make that much difference. But Ange is hopefully the right man for now, we need to give him a good few years to find out. Chopping and changing managers all the time isnt the way to go about anything. I wasnt convinced by Poch in his first year and was wrong about that, but I wanted to stick it out with him for a while. Same with Ange, although I am more convinced about him.
I think part of it is that we kind of jumped a bunch of steps in very quick succession.

Or maybe not, I guess we were in Europe a fair bit prior to being in CL relatively regularly, but it feels like we jumped to "we're too good for those pots" without ever actually winning any of them to demonstrate that.

And yes, I know we won a lot of trophies a long time ago now, but I'm talking present generation. I've supported Spurs for nigh on 30 years now and have seen us win 2 Coca Cola Cups.

In no way should we feel above the Europa League, and for me even the Europa Conference League if we happen to be in it. To my mind the best way to prove that you're too good for something would be to dominate it and take home the pot, not limply bow out to some farmers.

Not for one second saying that should be the height of our ambition, but some of the competitions we've been in in recent years we have been the best team on paper by a good stretch and not even come close to winning.

Or maybe not, I guess we were in Europe a fair bit prior to being in CL relatively regularly, but it feels like we jumped to "we're too good for those pots" without ever actually winning any of them to demonstrate that.

And yes, I know we won a lot of trophies a long time ago now, but I'm talking present generation. I've supported Spurs for nigh on 30 years now and have seen us win 2 Coca Cola Cups.

In no way should we feel above the Europa League, and for me even the Europa Conference League if we happen to be in it. To my mind the best way to prove that you're too good for something would be to dominate it and take home the pot, not limply bow out to some farmers.

Not for one second saying that should be the height of our ambition, but some of the competitions we've been in in recent years we have been the best team on paper by a good stretch and not even come close to winning.
100% this. We should be in it to win it with all trophies. I'd love to see us win the Europa League, it's a competition we've got rich history in. Even the Conference League I wouldn't turn up my nose at - it's still a pot. Being in it and limply bowing out - as you say - is just crap.

100% this. We should be in it to win it with all trophies. I'd love to see us win the Europa League, it's a competition we've got rich history in. Even the Conference League I wouldn't turn up my nose at - it's still a pot. Being in it and limply bowing out - as you say - is just crap.
I don’t understand people looking down their noses at Europa league either.It’s a competitive tournament which we should be capable of winning.Unfortunately as recent years have shown we’ve either underperformed or underestimated teams, (Zagreb is still a very low point for me) focus just seems on one thing. Top 4.

Ange has said the same thing after pretty much every game this season, win or loss, in that this season it’s about instilling the kind of football we want to play. He gets a free pass from me no matter what this season.

If by this time next year there is no improvements tactically, then maybe we can start asking questions. But right now he deserves 100% backing by everyone: the board, players, and fans.

Everybody talks about patience.

Give the man some.

I don’t understand people looking down their noses at Europa league either.It’s a competitive tournament which we should be capable of winning.Unfortunately as recent years have shown we’ve either underperformed or underestimated teams, (Zagreb is still a very low point for me) focus just seems on one thing. Top 4.
I differ, I felt going out to Gent, the one where Alli got sent off, was lower.

Purely because we were a much better side then, failing to overturn a 1 goal deficit in the second leg at home was absurd. Bloody Gent, they're not even the best side in Belgium who's name starts with Gen FFS!

The Zagreb loss, things were pretty abject all round at the time, it was embarrassing but post-match you'd look back and not really be that surprised by it. I don't really have any strong feeling that we'd have gone on to win it had we gone through anyway.

It’s not the competition I dislike it’s 2 other things…….Thursday nights…….Third place Champions League teams dropping into it after the group stages,ridiculous.

It’s not the competition I dislike it’s 2 other things…….Thursday nights…….Third place Champions League teams dropping into it after the group stages,ridiculous.

Well no more teams dropping down.

So that just leaves 1 annoyance.

And you can always record eastEnders on the iplayer and watch it on Saturday at 3pm

I find for PL teams the ropey league is too much of an ask.
Too many games (more than the CL) often in countries that are arduous to get to and from, and the pattern of Thu/Sun and even Thu/Sat occasionally doesn't help the English sides in it.
Ultimately it ends in an English team not winning it, but fucking up the domestic league goals in the process.

People always say "would you rather win the europa league or finish 4th"

I'd like both. But believe strongly that if most teams go for the europa league they will end up with neither.

That’s the one thing I don’t like about it,letting the Champions league teams drop down,
It’s like rewarding failure,totally wrong.

I differ, I felt going out to Gent, the one where Alli got sent off, was lower.

Purely because we were a much better side then, failing to overturn a 1 goal deficit in the second leg at home was absurd. Bloody Gent, they're not even the best side in Belgium who's name starts with Gen FFS!

The Zagreb loss, things were pretty abject all round at the time, it was embarrassing but post-match you'd look back and not really be that surprised by it. I don't really have any strong feeling that we'd have gone on to win it had we gone through anyway.
I forgot about that gent game.As for the Zagreb game,they should of sacked mourinho the next day,playing a team who’s manager was in prison.The players were just as culpable putting in a limp pathetic display like that,you could see things were rotten.

In the jol days we did take that tournament a bit more seriously,but as soon as we came up against a decent team like Sevilla we fell short as per.

I'm finding the cult nature of his fans unsettling.
Things have been OK this season. But the influx of aussies trying to convince everyone he can walk on water, and the buy in from some here is very odd.

People saying he's taken us from 8th to 5th aren't really right. We finished 4th in 21/22 and were 4th this time last year. We fell away after Conte and we gave the reigns to a pair of nobodies.

That’s the one thing I don’t like about it,letting the Champions league teams drop down,
Yes, it’s extending the competition and letting some so called bigger clubs who have been knocked out of the CL enter the competition , pretty much money making.

Yes, it’s extending the competition and letting some so called bigger clubs who have been knocked out of the CL enter the competition , pretty much money making.
Gone from next season, the CL has been expanded. There's no dropping down.

I'm finding the cult nature of his fans unsettling.
Things have been OK this season. But the influx of aussies trying to convince everyone he can walk on water, and the buy in from some here is very odd.

People saying he's taken us from 8th to 5th aren't really right. We finished 4th in 21/22 and were 4th this time last year. We fell away after Conte and we gave the reigns to a pair of nobodies.
Over the past 17/18 years, the club has been in the top six on a regular basis.
So yes, currently 5th isn't any achievement, it's on par with a normal season.
Becoming a challenger for the league is something we can't do.

Back
Top Bottom