Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Heard utd have put ange on their next manager shortlist.
Who are Heard Utd???

:andros:

turn me on dammit sheep GIF

Correct. 4 year deal with no release clause. His people were trying for 5 years.

Clearly, he wants to be here long term and both parties agree on the aspirations and model.

My view is that we are building the squad to peak when City and Liverpool reach their rebuild stage. The next 2 seasons could be the time to strike and rise up.

Klopp Leaving
City Financials (and Pep leaving 2025)
United having to restart their rebuild.
Will Chelsea stick with Poch? I'd say he needs 2 more seasons to get them competitive.

The next couple of years could well be Spurs / Woolwich fighting at the top.
I don't see him leaving. I think this is where he wants to be and I can't see Spurs letting him go somewhere else. Can you imagine the uproar that would cause?

😂😂
Don’t think I’ve seen a fanbase so needy about a manager who’s done fuck all.
I wouldn't say that. If you look back over the three previous managers there was a feeling of lurching from one misstep to another without a clear direction forward. Postecoglou has been clear about what he's trying to achieve and the decisions he's made fit in the context of becoming a possession oriented team with an attacking philosophy. Fifth place isn't nothing, especially when there is still time to get past Aston Villa. Postecoglou also seems to have the respect of people in the game who know a lot more about it than certainly I do. He wasn't my first choice, but now that he's here there seems to be a direction and an understandable path forward. Not bad for year one.

I wouldn't say that. If you look back over the three previous managers there was a feeling of lurching from one misstep to another without a clear direction forward. Postecoglou has been clear about what he's trying to achieve and the decisions he's made fit in the context of becoming a possession oriented team with an attacking philosophy. Fifth place isn't nothing, especially when there is still time to get past Aston Villa. Postecoglou also seems to have the respect of people in the game who know a lot more about it than certainly I do. He wasn't my first choice, but now that he's here there seems to be a direction and an understandable path forward. Not bad for year one.

Some people just want to see him fail because they didnt want him in the first place. Fortunately they are few and far between. It is a weird facet of the internet nowadays. People just cant admit they are wrong.

Tottenham coach reveals clever Ange Postecoglou trick to get what he wants in training​

Tottenham Hotspur coach Matt Wells has given an insight into what life is like behind the scenes with Ange Postecoglou in the ferocious training sessions

Matt Wells has been talking about being a first team coach under Ange Postecoglou at Tottenham Hotspur

Matt Wells has been talking about being a first team coach under Ange Postecoglou at Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham coach Matt Wells has given an in-depth insight into how Ange Postecoglou gets the best out of players in training sessions and how he got his job with the Australian.
The highly-rated 35-year-old has already got plenty of experience despite his age, having been an assistant manager at Fulham, Bournemouth and Club Brugge, as well as assisting Ryan Mason in his second Spurs caretaker head coach spell last season after Antonio Conte's departure.

Last summer Tottenham did not want to lose the talented Wells, who is the grandson of double-winning legend Cliff Jones, to another club but whether he was to to remain part of the newcomer's first team staff was not in their hands. He had to go through an audition or sorts with Postecoglou during the Australian's holiday in Italy after he had sealed the treble with Celtic.

"It was made clear to me by the club that they would like me to stay on in some capacity if it was possible without knowing who the next manager would be. So when the club then appointed Ange they wanted me to go and meet Ange which was a logical next step over the summer," explained Wells in the latest episode of the Off the Shelf podcast.

"So I flew to Italy to meet Ange on his family holiday which again was an incredible experience. I went there and I had prepared something and I presented to Ange. I had a good four to five hours with him, talking football, talking his pathway, my pathway, his coaching philosophy, my beliefs on the game and then Ange's vision for the club and how he wanted the team to play and how he was going to transform things.

"I came away from that conversation just so invigorated and inspired and desperate to be a part of it. Obviously though you're still not sure. You're never certain. I thought we connected quite well but you can never be sure of the impression you've left. To then get the phone call from the club that Ange wanted me to stay on as part of his coaching staff was a massive honour."

Postecoglou has a habit of creating a new backroom team wherever he works rather than the usual manager habit of having a travelling team of trusted coaches. The 58-year-old enjoys the freshness of putting together a brand new coaching team each time, which invigorates him and gives chances to young coaches to move up the ladder.

"Before the players came back we had four or five days together as a coaching staff because it was a brand new coaching team working together," said Wells. "I knew Ryan and Rob Burch but while I knew who the other lads were, Chris [Davies] and Mile [Jedinak] and even the gaffer, we hadn't worked together.

"So the gaffer had us in and outlined how he would like things done because none of us knew at that stage exactly how he liked things to run. He was very clear that he'd like to share the coaching amongst the coaches and he wouldn't become really hands-on until the day before the game.

"So the majority of the outset of the week was going to be run by us coaches, in terms of delivering training. He showed us a lot of videos of how he wanted the team to look, how he wanted us to play. He went through a presentation of his key facets and what he expected to be delivered in every training session.

"Then he said 'as long as all of those components are there, the actual design and the delivery of training is on you guys'. So for us as coaches, I think that's empowering. He's immediately delivering you that trust and that gives you a sense of responsibility to repay that.

Wells then delivered an in-depth insight into how training sessions work among the coaches and the clever ploy Postecoglou uses to ensure there is no let-up in the relentless drills for either the players or the staff and that nobody has an opportunity to switch off.

"The day-to-day coaching, we share each part of the session. Probably the biggest pillar of the way the manager likes the training to be is tempo and intensity from minute one to the end. He doesn't want the ball to stop so you see the way we play. That is a habit you have to build. You can't train one way and then turn up on a matchday and say 'lads today press and don't stop, fast tempo'," said the young coach.

"You can't do that. It's almost like a lifestyle so he expects training from the minute we start until the minute we end to be foot to the floor and he's asked us coaches to drive the energy and keep it here. One of the methods he sees that being achieved is by each one of us doing a part of the session.

"So maybe today you're doing the first 15 minutes, maybe you've got a technical practice to do. Design it however you want, you've got all of the players. We'll design a theme as a coaching staff. So if you're doing build-up you might do an intro on our build-up, but you've got 15 minutes so you know that's your 15 minutes and you think 'right, the tempo and intensity is going to be through the roof, I'm going to drive the life out of this'.

"So from the minute you've finished yours, it's almost like the handing of a baton. The manager expects that the tempo, even between your drill and the next drill to stay high. Get your drink and the ball should be rolling pretty quickly. If you were running the whole session from start to finish it's just natural that your energy level would drop at some point so it's so clever the way the manager does it."

He added: "You also feel a pressure, a healthy pressure, that 'I'm now third and you two have just nailed it so there's no way the tempo of the session is going to drop in my part'. So if I'm now running a high speed crossing and finishing drill, from the second the last coach has finished I'm on the lads, 'get yourself over here, these are the rules'. It tests everything as a coach, your explanation and how quickly and clearly you can explain it but not at the expense of understanding.

"You can't just rush through it because you know that if the session starts, the boss doesn't like you then stopping it. So if you haven't explained it properly and it starts and the players are not quite clear on the rules and you're having to go 'woah, stop, stop stop', then it doesn't work.

"Then maybe the next part might be Mile finishing the session off. After training, the manager will hold a meeting with us staff. He'll sit down and we'll all have a couple of minutes to speak through the session, give our thoughts on how it flowed, how did individuals do, how did the group do as a whole, how did our football look.

"Then after we've all spoken, the manager will give his feedback. As he is with the players, he's really, really honest and clear and he'll give you some positives from it and he'll let you know perhaps that 'I didn't like the transition between this point of training to here', so he's very, very in tune to the details of the work and it all starts from the football.

"He works backwards. He knows how he wants his game model to look on Saturday, he knows he wants us to play at a ferocious tempo so everything we do from Monday to Friday needs to fill into that aspect of the game. It's a coach's dream to work for a manager who is so, so clear and consistent."

Wells has been touted as a manager for the future, as have most of Postecoglou's current Spurs staff, but while he admits that's a long-term ambition in his career, the learning experience he is getting under the Australian is one he will not be looking to give up any time soon.
"One day, and I'm a bit of geek for writing things down and setting goals, but it is one of my goals. I'm not one of those who would have a timeframe, or I'd want to manage by the time I'm X (years-old). I'm always looking at the environment and impact and if I'm in an environment where I feel I'm learning and developing then that's a big tick and if I feel like in terms of impact I can help, and I can say that here I definitely have that with the boss every day," he admitted.

"To be honest I'd pay to sit in the boss' team meetings to just watch how he communicates with a group of players and how he inspires them and motivates them, and then how he manages us as a staff. His ideas on the game, selfishly you're learning all the time and then in terms of your own impact, you want to feel your worth. Can I convince Cristian Romero, who has won the World Cup, to defend the way I want him to defend?

"How do I align the thinking of Emerson Royal, Pedro, Radu, Cuti, Micky, Ben Davies, Destiny, all with diverse backgrounds, who have had different upbringings in the game, all who have had different careers, the challenge to have all of them see the game the exact way the boss wants them to see it? For me that's just invaluable and that makes me so passionate.

"So when I have those things it's difficult to think about whether I want to be a manager one day. I just take it. The period I'm in now just feels so rewarding, I haven't thought too much about it, but one day it will definitely be the aim, to keep developing. Whenever that is and where that is I don't know."

Tottenham coach reveals clever Ange Postecoglou trick to get what he wants in training​

Tottenham Hotspur coach Matt Wells has given an insight into what life is like behind the scenes with Ange Postecoglou in the ferocious training sessions

Tottenham coach Matt Wells has given an in-depth insight into how Ange Postecoglou gets the best out of players in training sessions and how he got his job with the Australian.
The highly-rated 35-year-old has already got plenty of experience despite his age, having been an assistant manager at Fulham, Bournemouth and Club Brugge, as well as assisting Ryan Mason in his second Spurs caretaker head coach spell last season after Antonio Conte's departure.

Last summer Tottenham did not want to lose the talented Wells, who is the grandson of double-winning legend Cliff Jones, to another club but whether he was to to remain part of the newcomer's first team staff was not in their hands. He had to go through an audition or sorts with Postecoglou during the Australian's holiday in Italy after he had sealed the treble with Celtic.

"It was made clear to me by the club that they would like me to stay on in some capacity if it was possible without knowing who the next manager would be. So when the club then appointed Ange they wanted me to go and meet Ange which was a logical next step over the summer," explained Wells in the latest episode of the Off the Shelf podcast.

"So I flew to Italy to meet Ange on his family holiday which again was an incredible experience. I went there and I had prepared something and I presented to Ange. I had a good four to five hours with him, talking football, talking his pathway, my pathway, his coaching philosophy, my beliefs on the game and then Ange's vision for the club and how he wanted the team to play and how he was going to transform things.

"I came away from that conversation just so invigorated and inspired and desperate to be a part of it. Obviously though you're still not sure. You're never certain. I thought we connected quite well but you can never be sure of the impression you've left. To then get the phone call from the club that Ange wanted me to stay on as part of his coaching staff was a massive honour."

Postecoglou has a habit of creating a new backroom team wherever he works rather than the usual manager habit of having a travelling team of trusted coaches. The 58-year-old enjoys the freshness of putting together a brand new coaching team each time, which invigorates him and gives chances to young coaches to move up the ladder.

"Before the players came back we had four or five days together as a coaching staff because it was a brand new coaching team working together," said Wells. "I knew Ryan and Rob Burch but while I knew who the other lads were, Chris [Davies] and Mile [Jedinak] and even the gaffer, we hadn't worked together.

"So the gaffer had us in and outlined how he would like things done because none of us knew at that stage exactly how he liked things to run. He was very clear that he'd like to share the coaching amongst the coaches and he wouldn't become really hands-on until the day before the game.

"So the majority of the outset of the week was going to be run by us coaches, in terms of delivering training. He showed us a lot of videos of how he wanted the team to look, how he wanted us to play. He went through a presentation of his key facets and what he expected to be delivered in every training session.

"Then he said 'as long as all of those components are there, the actual design and the delivery of training is on you guys'. So for us as coaches, I think that's empowering. He's immediately delivering you that trust and that gives you a sense of responsibility to repay that.

Wells then delivered an in-depth insight into how training sessions work among the coaches and the clever ploy Postecoglou uses to ensure there is no let-up in the relentless drills for either the players or the staff and that nobody has an opportunity to switch off.

"The day-to-day coaching, we share each part of the session. Probably the biggest pillar of the way the manager likes the training to be is tempo and intensity from minute one to the end. He doesn't want the ball to stop so you see the way we play. That is a habit you have to build. You can't train one way and then turn up on a matchday and say 'lads today press and don't stop, fast tempo'," said the young coach.

"You can't do that. It's almost like a lifestyle so he expects training from the minute we start until the minute we end to be foot to the floor and he's asked us coaches to drive the energy and keep it here. One of the methods he sees that being achieved is by each one of us doing a part of the session.

"So maybe today you're doing the first 15 minutes, maybe you've got a technical practice to do. Design it however you want, you've got all of the players. We'll design a theme as a coaching staff. So if you're doing build-up you might do an intro on our build-up, but you've got 15 minutes so you know that's your 15 minutes and you think 'right, the tempo and intensity is going to be through the roof, I'm going to drive the life out of this'.

"So from the minute you've finished yours, it's almost like the handing of a baton. The manager expects that the tempo, even between your drill and the next drill to stay high. Get your drink and the ball should be rolling pretty quickly. If you were running the whole session from start to finish it's just natural that your energy level would drop at some point so it's so clever the way the manager does it."

He added: "You also feel a pressure, a healthy pressure, that 'I'm now third and you two have just nailed it so there's no way the tempo of the session is going to drop in my part'. So if I'm now running a high speed crossing and finishing drill, from the second the last coach has finished I'm on the lads, 'get yourself over here, these are the rules'. It tests everything as a coach, your explanation and how quickly and clearly you can explain it but not at the expense of understanding.

"You can't just rush through it because you know that if the session starts, the boss doesn't like you then stopping it. So if you haven't explained it properly and it starts and the players are not quite clear on the rules and you're having to go 'woah, stop, stop stop', then it doesn't work.

"Then maybe the next part might be Mile finishing the session off. After training, the manager will hold a meeting with us staff. He'll sit down and we'll all have a couple of minutes to speak through the session, give our thoughts on how it flowed, how did individuals do, how did the group do as a whole, how did our football look.

"Then after we've all spoken, the manager will give his feedback. As he is with the players, he's really, really honest and clear and he'll give you some positives from it and he'll let you know perhaps that 'I didn't like the transition between this point of training to here', so he's very, very in tune to the details of the work and it all starts from the football.

"He works backwards. He knows how he wants his game model to look on Saturday, he knows he wants us to play at a ferocious tempo so everything we do from Monday to Friday needs to fill into that aspect of the game. It's a coach's dream to work for a manager who is so, so clear and consistent."

Wells has been touted as a manager for the future, as have most of Postecoglou's current Spurs staff, but while he admits that's a long-term ambition in his career, the learning experience he is getting under the Australian is one he will not be looking to give up any time soon.
"One day, and I'm a bit of geek for writing things down and setting goals, but it is one of my goals. I'm not one of those who would have a timeframe, or I'd want to manage by the time I'm X (years-old). I'm always looking at the environment and impact and if I'm in an environment where I feel I'm learning and developing then that's a big tick and if I feel like in terms of impact I can help, and I can say that here I definitely have that with the boss every day," he admitted.

"To be honest I'd pay to sit in the boss' team meetings to just watch how he communicates with a group of players and how he inspires them and motivates them, and then how he manages us as a staff. His ideas on the game, selfishly you're learning all the time and then in terms of your own impact, you want to feel your worth. Can I convince Cristian Romero, who has won the World Cup, to defend the way I want him to defend?

"How do I align the thinking of Emerson Royal, Pedro, Radu, Cuti, Micky, Ben Davies, Destiny, all with diverse backgrounds, who have had different upbringings in the game, all who have had different careers, the challenge to have all of them see the game the exact way the boss wants them to see it? For me that's just invaluable and that makes me so passionate.

"So when I have those things it's difficult to think about whether I want to be a manager one day. I just take it. The period I'm in now just feels so rewarding, I haven't thought too much about it, but one day it will definitely be the aim, to keep developing. Whenever that is and where that is I don't know."

Fantastic stuff

The interview is great. Well worth a watch. It is in the last half an hour or so of it.

Matt sounds like an extremely intelligent guy - and how about a future Spurs manager who is the grandson of the legendary Cliff Jones?

Back
Top Bottom