Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ReMeMbEr WhEn GuArDiOlA………

Guy compares a manager who’s won the league in Spain and Germany and the Champions League with a manager whose biggest achievement is A-League and the Scottish league.

Not to say he said he’d be disappointed if we’d not beat Bayern. Says it all how much he knows about football.

Jobs a bit easier when you manage the top teams with the most money.

Nah

"Found Out" doesn't exist in football.

There isn't a team that doesn't have a way to play against them. Had we found out Guardiola when Jose then Conte beat him consistently?

Of course not, it's about way more than teams just knowing how to play against certain styles of football

Good post.

Might be a bit too complex for some though.

lol_picard_star_trek_tng.gif

Nah

"Found Out" doesn't exist in football.

There isn't a team that doesn't have a way to play against them. Had we found out Guardiola when Jose then Conte beat him consistently?

Of course not, it's about way more than teams just knowing how to play against certain styles of football.

Teams have definitely found a way to set up to nullify us and we really struggle to break them down unless teams come at us. Come on, Fulham wasn’t long ago.

I thought today the players were lazy and didn’t look motivated first half. No movement at all for the umpteen game. We started the match so slow yet again with zero attacking aggression. We can do it second halves when behind so why not from the first whistle? It’s really hampering us. Luton had 10 players missing. We shouldn’t be struggling to beat them at home.

Teams have definitely found a way to set up to nullify us and we really struggle to break them down unless teams come at us. Come on, Fulham wasn’t long ago.

I thought today the players were lazy and didn’t look motivated first half. No movement at all for the umpteen game. We started the match so slow yet again with zero attacking aggression. We can do it second halves when behind so why not from the first whistle? It’s really hampering us. Luton had 10 players missing. We shouldn’t be struggling to beat them at home.

There is a way to nullify any tactic.

If you execute your tactic better then you still win.

If teams are focused on how to nullify your tactic instead of trying to dominate you with theirs, then you definitely haven’t been found out.

Nice to see him go to Plan B(brennan) today and change the game when we needed it.

:ange-arms:

424 mid-way through the 2nd half too..... Before locking things down with an extra MF for the final 10mins.

His subs worked.

4231 > 424 > 433

Yet apparently he "just stood there doing nothing with his hands in his pockets" and is too "naive" to do anything other than attack when a lead needs to be protected instead.

Spaniel Spaniel
The Dealer

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

The goal they scored came from an absolute abortion of a pass inside from Kulu there were 4 players running hard to present themselves and he passed it behind them all, the defending for their counter was poor no one can argue that, Son also should have scored with his double poster and if Werner was a killer he would have scored from the rebound but it was a poor half of football no doubt.

The second half was filled with missed and botched chances of all descriptions, should have been 4 or 5 but the stink from the first half still lingers I get it but to say the team was nullified by Luton is wrong

To be fair, I remember when Guardiola was found out back in 2017 when his team got destroyed 4-0 by Everton.

He, like every single top manager, adapted. Got players in that suited his team and went on to succeed. Like every top manager does.

Ange will be fine. Such a shame we've got the most reactionary fanbase in the league.
I'm still confident he will be a success here but out first half performances for months has been alarming to say the least. We can't keep relying on magical comebacks to get the job done as that's not sustainable.

I'm still confident he will be a success here but out first half performances for months has been alarming to say the least. We can't keep relying on magical comebacks to get the job done as that's not sustainable.

No doubt.

I dont think our first halves have been hugely great all season though tbh bar perhaps a hand full of games.

Makes me sort of believe it's by design in that we're looking to suss a team out, try and see what works and what doesn't (see how they're trying to deal with us) before turning it on (which is why we've scored goals in clusters).

But like to say, that's not really sustainable, incredibly risky and a bit too brave, even for Ange.

Also think it might be a psrsonnel/squad issue. I think if we started Werner and Johnson (direct wingers) on the wings, two players who want to use their pace and take on their men, we'd look alot more at it from the off.

Villa at home we started like a house on fire. We had two wingers outwide (Gil and Johnson) Newcastle at home, started quick. We had Johnson and Son on the wings... Whenever we've started second half's fast, it's usually because we've brought on a direct player like Johnson and moved Kulusevski central or subbed him off.

Nah; just means we need to improve, develop and evolve.

Matchday 10 wasn't our final form regardless of how good the early results were.
Results were great but i think way too much has been made of those first 10 games. Today wasnt much different to Sheff Utd, we struggled against 9 man Liverpool, Brentford was a typical 1st game of the season, fairly non descript wins against Bournemouth and Fulham who were both struggling at the time.

We were only at our best 2nd half v Utd, 60 mins against Woolwich (best of the season imo) and all but the first 15 mins against Burnley. Our passing and movement was a bit crisper but we weren't amazing, we generally just found a way.

Results were great but i think way too much has been made of those first 10 games. Today wasnt much different to Sheff Utd, we struggled against 9 man Liverpool, Brentford was a typical 1st game of the season, fairly non descript wins against Bournemouth and Fulham who were both struggling at the time.

We were only at our best 2nd half v Utd, 60 mins against Woolwich (best of the season imo) and all but the first 15 mins against Burnley. Our passing and movement was a bit crisper but we weren't amazing, we generally just found a way.

My point wasn't to try and ram home that our performances in those games were all amazing (they weren't).

...Just that the idea that we've been "massively found out" is overzealous and pre-mature because we're still learning what we are and what we need to be.

........Meanwhile; if people are in the business of trying to establish the idea that either a) we haven't played well at all this season or that b) we are max'd out already in terms of Ange and what he can continue to build as we progresse from trf window to trf window then i strongly disagree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom