Levy / €NIC. In or Out

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy / ENIC. In or Out

• Levy / ENIC. We want you to stay

• Levy / ENIC. Get out of our club

Results are only viewable after voting.
So isn’t the hiring of Conte and Paratici trying to solve this lack of football understanding? Everyone wanted Levy to step back from the football side, so he hired Paratici (turned out to not be a great hire, but who knew?). Maybe we should have done more due diligence, I’m not sure.
Not sure but it definitely turned out the same as its always been. Surprised Levy didn't find a creative consistent solution for recruitment a long time ago. Suppose its difficult with all the manager changes.

Not sure but it definitely turned out the same as its always been. Surprised Levy didn't find a creative consistent solution for recruitment a long time ago. Suppose its difficult with all the manager changes.
Which is my main criticism of him, the constant chopping of managers and changing of strategies. Was really hoping that Paratici would be the constant in our growth, no matter the manager. Looks like I was wrong, but still clinging on to my hope!

Please post the passage from the book again and this time. Highlight the bit that says “Tottenham Hotspur”.

I can see all the mentions for Glasgow Rangers, which as a Spurs fan, Levy wouldn’t have a passion for. Keep missing the bit about Spurs though. Would appreciate your help on this.
Honestly, I think it's pretty clear, contextually, from this passage that ENIC originally invested in football for purely financial reasons, notwithstanding Levy's support for Spurs. He was, after all, just an investment manager at the time; unlikely ENIC would have been motivated to make significant financial commitments on the strength of Levy's feelings towards Spurs.

And, although the book extract highlights ENIC's acquisition of Rangers' shares (1997), it's worth bearing in mind that they first tried to acquire Spurs the following year (1998 - the same year they invested in FC Basel). Hard to imagine that this first attempt had its roots in anything other that football being '... the most popular sport on earth and the biggest money-spinner'.

Their thinking was no different once the actually managed to acquire Spurs. This is what Levy said when the acquisition was announced in December 2000. You'll notice how little of it relates to sporting success.

This investment is an important step in the development of the sports businesses of ENIC. We believe that the long term profitability and capital value of Tottenham can be significantly enhanced through further exploitation of media and sporting rights associated with the club. Tottenham is a major British football club with a prominent sporting heritage. We are firmly committed to improving Tottenham's commercial viability as one of this country's top football clubs. We believe that it can regain its position as a significant contender in both domestic and European competitions.
And here's ENIC's assessment of the strategic benefits of acquiring Spurs (from the same source).
Strategic benefits of the acquisition

As referred to in ENIC's recent Chairman's statement, ENIC has continued to seek to build on opportunities in the sports, gaming and media sectors.
  • The acquisition of this strategic stake represents a further strengthening of ENIC's focus on sports, gaming and media activities.
  • In addition to enhancing ENIC's Sports Division, the directors of ENIC believe that the proposed investment will enhance the opportunities currently being explored by its Media and Gaming Division.
  • ENIC believes that Tottenham is a valuable club with exciting prospects, which would benefit from ENIC's experience of investing in other European football clubs.
  • Over recent years ENIC has built up significant expertise in relation to media sports rights.
  • The acquisition of this strategic stake will enhance the media platforms that will be available to both Tottenham and ENIC.
  • Tottenham is one of the last remaining FA Premier League clubs not to have signed a major multi-media deal.
  • ENIC has access to an enlarged player base across six European countries from which all of its football investments can benefit.
  • ENIC believes that further longer term benefits will be accrued by both ENIC and Tottenham from the raised commercial profile as a result of the acquisition of this strategic stake.

Honestly, I think it's pretty clear, contextually, from this passage that ENIC originally invested in football for purely financial reasons, notwithstanding Levy's support for Spurs. He was, after all, just an investment manager at the time; unlikely ENIC would have been motivated to make significant financial commitments on the strength of Levy's feelings towards Spurs.

And, although the book extract highlights ENIC's acquisition of Rangers' shares (1997), it's worth bearing in mind that they first tried to acquire Spurs the following year (1998 - the same year they invested in FC Basel). Hard to imagine that this first attempt had its roots in anything other that football being '... the most popular sport on earth and the biggest money-spinner'.

Their thinking was no different once the actually managed to acquire Spurs. This is what Levy said when the acquisition was announced in December 2000. You'll notice how little of it relates to sporting success.

And here's ENIC's assessment of the strategic benefits of acquiring Spurs (from the same source).
Fair enough. Think it’s tough for a takeover like this to happen and the new Chairman to just say he’s a fan, so that’s the reason for the purchase. I’d imagine he would say stuff like “increase commercial activities”, etc.

But, this does hold a lot more water than the previously posted shite and it’s not a hill I’m going to continue to die on. Appreciate you sharing.

Which is my main criticism of him, the constant chopping of managers and changing of strategies. Was really hoping that Paratici would be the constant in our growth, no matter the manager. Looks like I was wrong, but still clinging on to my hope!
I posted in other thread consistent failing in football is HR issues, which I consider:

- recruitment
- salaries
- youth development
- strategy (what are we aiming for)
- club culture

I posted in other thread consistent failing in football is HR issues, which I consider:

- recruitment
- salaries
- youth development
- strategy (what are we aiming for)
- club culture
Don’t really have the wish or energy to argue against any of that. And if you think the man at the top carries the can for it all, I’m not sure I agree , but can see your point.

Don’t really have the wish or energy to argue against any of that. And if you think the man at the top carries the can for it all, I’m not sure I agree , but can see your point.
Not just Levy but the constraints of the ENIC business model major contributing factors in my view. We need big investment in the squad and a lot of financial help to do so.

Can we stop comparing the amount we are spending to Chelsea, Liverpool, Arse, Man Utd, Newcastle etc.

And just focus on the fact that we have giant holes in both the first 11 and squad that needed filling.

Does anybody disagree that we need a couple of CB's, a longterm backup to Hugo, some kind of creative outlet in the middle of the park who can supply the front 3 (I'll just call it the Eriksen role for ease) and a LWB to replace Sess because we know Perisic can't play every week and isn't suited against certain opposition.

So while Porro on paper was a good transfer that fixed an issue, an Danjuma is hopefully an upgrade on Gil.

We didn't really address too many issues did we?

I always see people saying that we will tackle these issues in the summer, but what about this season? Are you writing off this season? or do you think we can win a trophy with the aformentioned holes?

I just don't understand the mentality of some people. We pay the most for tickets in the UK, which probably also means in the world, we are in the top 10 richest clubs.

This window we've done 2 loan deals and shipped 3 out. Please somebody make the pro ENIC position make some fucking sense to me if you can.

I understand, but sometimes incompetence is a more reasonable explanation than curse or conspiracy.
I heard on Twitter that Levy has a voodoo doll of Conte and caused the gallbladder issue to make him quit early to pay for Porro's loan fee

trump friend GIF

Centre halves -

Man utd: Varane, lisandro martinez
Woolwich: Gabriel fernandes, Saliba, Ben White
Chelsea: Thiago Silva, Koulibaly, Wesley fofana
Liverpool: VVD, Konate, Matip
Man city: Stones, Ruben Dias, Laporte, Akanji

Spurs: Romero, Eric Dier, Ben Davies, Lenglet

Why are spurs the only club that can't permanently reinforce the most important position on the pitch?

:pochwtf:
Levy

Does anybody disagree that we need a couple of CB's, a longterm backup to Hugo, some kind of creative outlet in the middle of the park who can supply the front 3 (I'll just call it the Eriksen role for ease) and a LWB to replace Sess because we know Perisic can't play every week and isn't suited against certain opposition.
I agree we need a CB and a LCB. For me the plan will be to buy these in the summer, hence Lenglet's deal ending.

Longterm replacement for Hugo is certainly an area you'd think the club will look to pursue in the summer. There's no way anyone could have predicted Lloris going out of form recently. The club would never have found a replacement in this window.

A creative player I don't think is completely necessary however the Maddison links are there and he is out of contract in 12 months from the summer. I don't think it's somewhere that is critical.

Sess will most likely go in the summer and we will have Udogie from Udinese so that area is covered.

And just focus on the fact that we have giant holes in both the first 11 and squad that needed filling.
I would say this team is nearing a Conte team. There isn't many players left he won't have wanted, pretty much all the players he doesn't rate have been let go of. He even said in an interview only a week or so ago that he is happy with the CB's we have.

This window we've done 2 loan deals and shipped 3 out. Please somebody make the pro ENIC position make some fucking sense to me if you can.
Bit like last Jan when we got rid of four players ad bought in 2 Juve rejects and ended up in the top four.

So isn’t the hiring of Conte and Paratici trying to solve this lack of football understanding? Everyone wanted Levy to step back from the football side, so he hired Paratici (turned out to not be a great hire, but who knew?). Maybe we should have done more due diligence, I’m not sure.
I'm not sure any more due diligence would have made a difference. If the ban on Paratici is because he was involved in cooking the books, how the Hell are Spurs meant to find that out beforehand? You don't audit a clubs books when you're hiring someone who has left them, or even if you've headhunted them.

Maybe a polygraph in the interview?

I can just see it now, sterile White tiled interview room, with a bank of flashing LED spotlights being the interviewers, casting them in shadow, whilst Paratici is strapped into a dentist chair...

"Did you cook the books when you were at Juve?"

"No"

"You sure? We're getting a spike here."

"Absolutely sure."

"Come clean Fabio, we've got Sodium Pentathol here, don't make us go down the waterboarding route."

Last edited:
Im a little suprised Levy didnt spend big to keep the Wolves away from his door

now the window has closed wont be long till they respond the the Questions put forward by TST, will be a very interesting read.

Last edited:
We did spend 46 million pounds on a rwb, our biggest area of need, in January.

It is certainly a step up from our usual business in January prior to conte. Anyone remember saha and nelson when we were on the cusp of top 4?

I cannot understand this argument at all. Why do you think people invest hundreds of millions into football clubs? Because they love the game? They’d buy a season ticket! Altruism? Come on.

There’s always some private benefit that they’re looking to get. Always.

He hired Paratici after talking about a return to attacking football. Then when we were going to get fonseca, an attacking manager, it fell through because paratici wanted defensive football.

Back
Top Bottom