Eintracht Frankfurt vs Tottenham Hotspur. UEFA Champions League. Tuesday 4th October . 20:00 Deutsche Bank Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah it is very puzzling the lack of investment into a creative MF in the Prem.

Spurs, Pool and Chelsea are all lacking one and you can see it in the quality. Conversely City has KDB and Woolwich has Odegaard and you can see the difference in their football quality and performances so far.

Maddison was probably the big miss this past summer really. I like Richy but was he needed ? Seems like he’s best on the Right wing which Sonny owns. Def would love a redo here.
Richarlison was great and was needed. We have to stop trying to have 11 good players, and, as we've seen, Sonny is always up and down.

But we need, and have needed, depth. We needed Richie, but we also need Maddison. It's why Conte says we're still a couple windows away from serious contention. We can't buy everything we want in one window, even with an unlimited budget. See RWB. We have to buy when those options are available. We need Maddison and a RWB next summer, if not in January.

like English PL fans singing “xxxx get battered everywhere they go” over and over isn’t premeditated drone?

Not in the way I mean, no..... It's not as organic. There are cheerleaders and drummers driving the whole experience.

Songs are songs. They all just sound like noise if you don’t know what they are singing.

Things aren't anywhere near so metronomic/repetitive in nature over here (see "drone")... That's where the aforementioned "irritation" creeps in for me.

Not being German and understanding what they are singing, being part of it, that club or experiencing it live will have that effect though won’t it.

My underlying point remains, if you like stadium atmosphere, noise, etc German and French (and other European countries) teams generally do it better than the PL.

What can I say....

If i had to chose the vibe of WHL at it's jacked-up best vs what I hear on the odd occasions I watch German stadiums; I'm not won over just cos it's louder.

At their best, our terraces used to feel like a party..... Not some forced ritual (see above).

Are you a fan of the lame trumpet player at England games who endlessly plays the same 2 riffs for 90 mins?

I'm not; that does my head in too.

Last edited:
Seems our level is as a low-tier CL team, tbh. We're making the easiest on paper CL group look very competitive & don't look any better than the teams we're playing at all.
To be fair, Frankfurt won the Europa league last season. They got a trophy. Need a winning mentality to do that, so they were never going to be pushovers.

To be fair, Frankfurt won the Europa league last season. They got a trophy. Need a winning mentality to do that, so they were never going to be pushovers.

Sporting tore them apart 3-0 in Germany on the opening match day.

I thought Frankfurt were really, really meh against us tbh.

Good point, forgot about that.

I would like to see Spence given a chance (but understand if he's not doing it in training why Conte hasn't gone for him).

Might end up with Sess on the left and Peri-Peri on the right?
I really really hope not. By weird chance we have 3 RWBs. If he does go with Perisic on the right imagine how that affects the morale of a doc and Spence. Kind of hoping Conte feels forced into playing one of those two - if fit enough of course

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Thought we out played them, but just no finish. Lots of chances though

2. Whats up with Hugo’s clearances ???

3. Poor trapping all around. Way too many opportunities squandered due to lack of foot skill

4. Passing wasn’t much better. See #3.

5. Rich needs to quit looking for the call and just use his abilities

6. PEH was brilliant. Maybe the best I’ve seen him

7. Romero was top shelf also. He’s got speed I didn’t realize he possessed

8. Gill is a human gnat

I really really hope not. By weird chance we have 3 RWBs. If he does go with Perisic on the right imagine how that affects the morale of a doc and Spence. Kind of hoping Conte feels forced into playing one of those two - if fit enough of course
im sure hes already started a game with perisic on the right and sess on the left? may be wrong but i feel like he has

Good point, forgot about that.

I would like to see Spence given a chance (but understand if he's not doing it in training why Conte hasn't gone for him).

Might end up with Sess on the left and Peri-Peri on the right?
I think Doherty will start.
If not he'll be given 20 minutes or so when Peri is knackered

i've been a fan of my team eintracht frankfurt since 1974! since 1982, when i saw you live in frankfurt for the first time, i keep my fingers crossed for you! (Not on October 4th and 12th, 2022 :) )! I wish you the very best for your season in the PL! It's a dream for me to see you live again! All the best - become champions in England and take me with you when the spurs go marching in! Best regards from Frankfurt!
Dankeschoen mein Herr....

like English PL fans singing “xxxx get battered everywhere they go” over and over isn’t premeditated drone?

Songs are songs. They all just sound like noise if you don’t know what they are singing.

Not being German and understanding what they are singing, being part of it, that club or experiencing it live will have that effect though won’t it.

My underlying point remains, if you like stadium atmosphere, noise, etc German and French (and other European countries) teams generally do it better than the PL.
If you listen carefully, its "Deutschland Deutschland uber alles".....!

Agree, except Dier dallied on the ball at times. Wish he would move it around quicker- gave Frankfurt all the time they needed to reset their defense.
He fucking dies that all the time ! Romero does it as well. They are walking pace or even slower. It is the same as eating time. If we were behind chasing a game im sure they would much quicker. It just sets the tone for the whole team.

Thought it was a decent away performance in Europe.

Really should have won had our forewards not been incredibly wasteful.

Harry had a 1st half shocker and then Sonny had a 2nd half shocker.

Richy been a bit flat the last few matches.
Richo is a limited player. If he scores 15 goals for us this season that might just be a decent return for £60M. However one get over the feeling that a) he was way over priced and b) we could have got much better for that money.
Not sure who wanted him but unless he really picks it up his gonnna be another one to add the list of wasted money. There are teams all over Europe who scout players form all over the place and unearth diamonds.

Ha, I'd love to see Conte have that conversation with Kane - "Hey, can you play more like Haaland?"

Both have different attributes and are very different players. Haaland is essentially a very good Andy Caroll.

Haaland is quick, strong and a poacher. Has very few touches of the ball in the game and relies on good service.

Kane is intelligent, skillful and can create his own chances. Good with the ball at his feet and see's shots and passes others wouldn't.
Just a little intelligent movement which if we played with the ball in the oppo half would be really good. As it is we generally play on the break so never really play and pas the ball around in the oppo third.

indeed i saw us perform much worse in the CL under Poch losing 3 games in the group and crashing out to europa agaisnt a similar strenth group.
we were easily the better team last night away to the Europa winners, if any of our strikers were in form we'd have won comfortably i think
Hold on poch was not revered or decorated as fucking Jose mk2. This guys record in Europe is atrocious given the resources his had at top clubs his managed. He even admitted last season he likes a week to prepare his teams. Don’t see other managers complaining like him ad they prbly play better football. The guy is a lazy docking coach. Have an expensively assembled squad, defend and get some top players to create the magic.

Back
Top Bottom