Eintracht Frankfurt vs Tottenham Hotspur. UEFA Champions League. Tuesday 4th October . 20:00 Deutsche Bank Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

800k on this seasons form. Whoever said sell him last summer might have been a misunderstood genius.
Confess Hands Up GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

As always context matters. Usually a draw away to Frankfurt = not a bad result. However when you're following up a distastrous NLD and people want a pick me up only to be treated to a 0-0 draw, it's meh. It's doubley meh when the last CL game was a 2-0 loss. Triple meh when Frankfurt lost their last CL game at their 'fortress' 3-0 to a Portuguese team.

Quadruple meh when it's the same players failing over and over again.

Not sure who we have to thank for that word being associated with football but it's in dire need of a free transfer

...the atmosphere was tough and it looked like Frankfurt was well-drilled in clogging the middle to stifle our counter attack...we need to see more creativity and/or hustle from our front 3...
COYS

Back home now. Just read the thread. Wanted to address a few points from what I saw at the game. Might not have been picked up on TV.

Overall performance was better. The final product was lacking. Watched the warm up before the game, during the shooting drill Kane and Son missed every shot. That carried into the game.

Thought the team put in a massive shift, Perisic, Son, Richarlison, Emerson, PEH and Bentancur ran all game. Part of the reason why I think the link up between the front 3 was poor is due to fatigue IMO. These lot are doing recovery runs and then trying to sprint up to support Kane. It takes it's toll and quality normally is sacrificed.

Nevertheless the shooting was poor, didn't even make the keeper work. The build up was OK. Noticed a lot of emphasis on interplay between the front 3. Trying to play into Kane's feet and then laying off to Son and richarlison as off the ball runners. Just feel this is a low percentage strategy and why we are struggling to score. However, this approach is a direct result of not being able to build through the WBs as they are useless. We could move the front 3 closer to the box if we were able to the wide and cross into the box. The interplay between the front 3 at the moment is all on the halfway line leaving too much to do.

Dier takes too long on the ball, tempo he sets just kills any momentum.

Gil getting stick, but people failing to see that multiple managers are playing him on the wrong side. He's totally left footed. You have to treat him like and old school winger. He's not a modern winger that can play inverted. The run late on where he kept the ball in, side stepped the defender and carried it upfield was on the left wing. Its so obvious that he feels more comfortable playing that side. He doesn't have the strength to cut in from the right and shrug off a defender. Play him on the left and you'll see a totally different player. I'd genuinely play him LWB ahead of Sess.

Richarlison should be playing Central,

My first game in Germany, atmosphere was very good and loud, fair play to their fans as the game for them wasn't very exciting.

We have tools available to us that can make us better. Just needs Conte to be brave and try them. But don't think it'll happen.

Last point is I fear for us post January. The amount of running and effort the players are putting in, we are going to run out of steam. Conte must, must use his squad. We're going to be fucked if we don't!
Great post. Think this is spot on.

Back home now. Just read the thread. Wanted to address a few points from what I saw at the game. Might not have been picked up on TV.

Overall performance was better. The final product was lacking. Watched the warm up before the game, during the shooting drill Kane and Son missed every shot. That carried into the game.

Thought the team put in a massive shift, Perisic, Son, Richarlison, Emerson, PEH and Bentancur ran all game. Part of the reason why I think the link up between the front 3 was poor is due to fatigue IMO. These lot are doing recovery runs and then trying to sprint up to support Kane. It takes it's toll and quality normally is sacrificed.

Nevertheless the shooting was poor, didn't even make the keeper work. The build up was OK. Noticed a lot of emphasis on interplay between the front 3. Trying to play into Kane's feet and then laying off to Son and richarlison as off the ball runners. Just feel this is a low percentage strategy and why we are struggling to score. However, this approach is a direct result of not being able to build through the WBs as they are useless. We could move the front 3 closer to the box if we were able to the wide and cross into the box. The interplay between the front 3 at the moment is all on the halfway line leaving too much to do.

Gil getting stick, but people failing to see that multiple managers are playing him on the wrong side. He's totally left footed. You have to treat him like and old school winger. He's not a modern winger that can play inverted. The run late on where he kept the ball in, side stepped the defender and carried it upfield was on the left wing. Its so obvious that he feels more comfortable playing that side. He doesn't have the strength to cut in from the right and shrug off a defender. Play him on the left and you'll see a totally different player. I'd genuinely play him LWB ahead of Sess.

My first game in Germany, atmosphere was very good and loud, fair play to their fans as the game for them wasn't very exciting.

We have tools available to us that can make us better. Just needs Conte to be brave and try them. But don't think it'll happen.

Last point is I fear for us post January. The amount of running and effort the players are putting in, we are going to run out of steam. Conte must, must use his squad. We're going to be fucked if we don't!
Great point on Gill, completely agree. Not an attacker and definitely not a right winger, he’s an old fashioned left mid

...the atmosphere was tough and it looked like Frankfurt was well-drilled in clogging the middle to stifle our counter attack...we need to see more creativity and/or hustle from our front 3...
COYS
Thing is I don't think that's particularly hard to do to us because teams know what's coming before a ball is kicked.

Good point, forgot about that.

I would like to see Spence given a chance (but understand if he's not doing it in training why Conte hasn't gone for him).

Might end up with Sess on the left and Peri-Peri on the right?
It'll be something like that, or Emerson in whiteface and a pretend shit goatee passing as Doc, only thing I'm certain of is the solution won't be to play one of the other 2 right wing backs at our disposal!

Hard to disagree with much of this, although if you're saying Gil is too lightweight to play on the right and shrug off a defender, why would he be of any use as left sided defender? Sessegnon hasn't done much wrong by my book, I'd like to see him rotated with Perisic more often, he makes some brilliant runs behind.

Ha. Hopefully you are proven wrong & we get the real son back!
hes a 100 million pound player if you use him as an impact sub. unfortunately hes always relied on brawn over brain and hes at that age where his body is declining. hes good for 30 minutes against tired legs but 90 against fresh legs sitting deep....waste of time

Back
Top Bottom