Will we win trophies with Pochettino? (Read thread before voting)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will we win trophies with Poch as our manager!

• Yes

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
I don’t see myself as a victim - I feel sorry for those who lack the maturity to have a adult discussion, who willingly choose to ignore the obvious, who are blinded by emotion.

I dominate threads due to sheer volume of posters I have to respond to. I dare to question our manager and absolute mayhem ensues. That simply should be the case especially given the circumstances.

We are there custodians of the club, of it is history and tradition - it is our job to hold the clubs employees to account.
Indeed, managers and players come and go. We remain.

I wonder, if poch's attitude to cups was different, would he mange to consistently have us in the top four?

I agree we are consistent bottle jobs too, and the complete laughing stock of world football, but after the mid to late 90s this is still better.

It's not proven winners but a proven winner.

One player can be the difference if they are good enough. And also good enough to drag others around them.

Had we had Bale in the last 5 years for example or Modric, my grief, we would have 2 or 3 trophies. I am so sure of that.
I think Bale was at his peak when he was us (and to an extent so was Modric) but we still didn't win anything. The way to winning is a balanced team, not one gifted individual, IMO

I wonder, if poch's attitude to cups was different, would he mange to consistently have us in the top four?

I agree we are consistent bottle jobs too, and the complete laughing stock of world football, but after the mid to late 90s this is still better.

I think we need to be cautious in relation to this so called cup apathy.

We have not gone out that often to a lower league side under Pochettino and this season everyone pretty much accepted the team that went out against Palace.

The issue for me is the manner of the losses in the key games, whether that be league or cup. To separate the mentality needed to progress in either is to miss the point.

On that I maintain it's game management and not having that one player who takes to the pitch, surveys it and thinks piece of cake.

As good as Kane is on occasions, he does not possess that kind of character. Only Alli gets close for me of the current squad.

I don’t see myself as a victim - I feel sorry for those who lack the maturity to have a adult discussion, who willingly choose to ignore the obvious, who are blinded by emotion.

I dominate threads due to sheer volume of posters I have to respond to. I dare to question our manager and absolute mayhem ensues. That simply should be the case especially given the circumstances.

We are the custodians of the club, of it is history and tradition - it is our job to hold the clubs employees to account.
The club is the fans, you're completely right. The rest, well that's your opinion.

I think Bale was at his peak when he was us (and to an extent so was Modric) but we still didn't win anything. The way to winning is a balanced team, not one gifted individual, IMO
You need both really. Star quality and a strong supporting cast. Or incredible luck (Leicester). On paper we have it but it never seems to happen through a combination of reasons, and Pochettino's tactics are a factor within it, but stronger opponents is the single biggest reason for me.

Something that bothers me is the idea that 'we' need to win something for our great players. Kane, Lloris, the Belgian CBs, Son etc etc. If that's the case I'd like them to get their arses in gear and win something. Maybe they're not quite as good as we like to think.

Edit: most of that isn't in response to you Mrs P.

But you don’t need billions to beat Burton Albion and Chelsea. They want to win these cups....our manager doesn’t

It's not that he doesn't want to win them. He treats them with the same level of respect as every other team. He makes 8 or 9 changes and rolls the dice until we reach the last stages. No Liverpool fan is crying themselves to sleep because they got dumped out of both cups early on.

Yes. This season has been tough, with several handicaps. No signings, unexpectedly no home, loads of injuries. The squad has improved but our teams have struggled. we seem to be set up wrong but each season Poch adapts slightly, adding a new style to the teams repertoire.

We do need new players, most notably in midfield and wing back. We must get those signings right, and I hope we spend whatever we need to. I hope a young striker comes through next season or the one after from our youth.

I think we will win the CL before the league title. We are hated in the league and there is a lot of recent history. In Europe we are freer (not a Brexit statement). I hope we don't draw English teams, that's our best chance.

You need both really. Star quality and a strong supporting cast. Or incredible luck (Leicester). On paper we have it but it never seems to happen through a combination of reasons, and Pochettino's tactics are a factor within it, but stronger opponents is the single biggest reason.

Something that bothers me is the idea that 'we' need to win something for our great players. Kane, Lloris, the Belgian CBs, Son etc etc. If that's the case I'd like them to get their arses in gear and win something. Maybe they're not quite as good as we like to think.

Edit: most of that isn't in response to you Mrs P.
So agree with your last paragraph, the players have to take a big chunk of responsibility for their performances, Poch can only do so much once they step on the pitch.

This isn’t a knee jerk thread, I want to make that completely clear, I do not want Poch to leave this football club (at least not in the near future anyway) but this is something that has been playing on my mind now since the end of last season.

The question is simple, whilst Poch is in charge of this football club, do you think we will win a trophy?

This isn’t a debate about if he is good enough to win a trophy, I am simply asking the question, do you believe we will win a trophy whilst he is our manager?

If yes, then why do you believe so? And what do you think needs to happen in order for him to do so?

If no, why do you believe so? And what is the solution for us long term to win a trophy if Pochettino cannot accomplish it?

I am genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion on this because we are now many years into the project and I am curious to know what people think the next step is for us and how we are going to achieve it.

Before I stop writing I will give my opinion so you all know where I stand.

I think Poch has certain weaknesses as a manager but I don’t think those weaknesses would stop him winning a trophy with us, I think he is constantly trying to learn but needs improvements in some areas (game management, tactical flexibility and more mind games with officials and media) I don’t ever see him being a serial winner with us but I certainly do see us winning a trophy under his management.

The hard truth imo is that, he needs new players in order to do so, I think he has taken this group of players as far as he possibly can as a manager and unless we get a massive slice of luck and win the CL I think in order for him to win a trophy with us, he will need fresh legs and better quality in certain positions.

That’s my opinion, basically, he needs backing this summer and the squad needs a lot of improvement, the key players I would keep here are...

1. Kane
2. Son
3. Vertonghen
4. Toby
5. Sanchez
6. Rose
7. Eriksen
8. Alli
9. Dier
10. Winks
11. Lloris

The rest, as far as I am concerned, are replaceable and could be improved.

So, what’s everyone else’s opinion?

You are a complete bellend

Please include that as an option

no Sammy , we see him as a form of "messiah" that has nearly taken us to the Promised Land but unfortunately for reasons far beyond his control will never get there.

But as I said above, do you think there is no manager on the planet that could win a domestic cup with this squad.
Lets be real here.....we are not talking about miracles, thats hyperbolic nonsense.
We are in our 4th straight season of being a top 3 club, and two of them we've played away.

Two things are going on here:
1) People are hero worshipping Poch
2) People are underrating our players

Im a little tired of people acting like its possible for a team to consistently stay in the top 3 with "championship level" full backs and central midfield. Our depth has kept us in it through, what 39 injuries now. Our cover has also been injured. We have played away for two years.

There is this, frankly, disgraceful mantra that we are shit, a shambles, and having a crap season. We are above 3 of our top 6 rivals with ten games to go, and people are acting like the manager alone has achieved all this on his own with Wigan Atheltic plus Kane, Eriksen and Dele. Be a little objective, you're an intelligent bloke.

The next level for us is the PL Title. Thats basically what people are saying we arent good enough to win, right.
So if the next stop is the Title, how is this squad so poor? Especially under the circumstances we've been under this season especially. You cannot believe in your hear of hearts that not one manager out there could have won the bloody Coca Cola or FA Cup with our squad and budget by now, yet can still finish top 3 for four years under the exact same restraints.
Not winning the domestics is down to the manager and he will be the first to tell you that they are'nt worth shit to him. Thats not even debatable mate, its on record over and over again down the years.

So if we want to demand the next level, and give Poch the tools he needs to win the PL and CL, the only trophies he values, then lets be clear about that.

Its true we need investment in the squad to achieve those elite trophies.
But then you are in a position where you are slagging off the club for not being able to compete regularly with City and Real etc. Is that a fair demand on Spurs? Really?

The other two trophies are not on Levy. And Im fairly sure we'd all be a lot happier if we had two FA Cups and a Carabou over the last five seasons dont you. Shame the manager doesnt feel the same eh.

Last edited:
It's not that he doesn't want to win them. He treats them with the same level of respect as every other team. He makes 8 or 9 changes and rolls the dice until we reach the last stages. No Liverpool fan is crying themselves to sleep because they got dumped out of both cups early on.

No because the title is in their hands with ten games to go. Would you care about the domestics if we were where they are? They've benefitted from it, we havent.

Its basically this:
We've done brilliantly in the PL over the last 4 seasons

We've improved in Europe, and made a real statement in the CL and built a profile for the club. Still wouldnt bet against us getting to the semis.

We've been really caught lacking in the domestics over the last 4 seasons, and have folded in the easiest ways to get some trophies.

Its just doesnt stack up that we can do what we do consistently in the PL, and in many a CL game, but cant win the FA Cup due to our budget.

Last edited:
I think this a great discussion and brings up many interesting points. There are so many factors in play it's difficult to say.

Things such as:

Scouting, youth academy, transfer funds, players out, players in, rivals ambitions, luck, belief/desire, leadership and even our own managers attitude to win so called lesser cups.

I think it would be an easier question to answer in the summer obviously after we show our intent in the transfer window. One thing that always concerns me is the idea that we have second pickings when it comes to who we want to sign. That we wait for other richer clubs to take their pick and we go for lesser players as we can't compete for top talent. Yes, this is true to an extent and rightly so, I don't expect us to be signing £70 mill plus players but lets say we are after a player such as Brandt or Berge. Both young and on a lot of teams radars. Surely within our wage budget but we would have to compete with others on wages which would mean paying more than we want. The idea we should let others pick Europe's best talent and wait our turn is not an attitude that will get us anywhere. I should have perhaps saved this for the transfer thread, sorry.

I don't believe any team has to spend the millions city do to be successful. The players are out there. I think the only way a team such as ours can be successful is in the long term. I think we need to improve our youth recruitment and play the long game unfortunately. The way our club is run we will never go toe to toe with the big spenders. I fear the stadium cost will have a long term effect which will restrict what we do. We have to be better at identifying and getting talent in at a younger age. Make our own stars. I cannot remember the last youth prospect who we signed. I guess Foyth. These are the players we need to identify and bring to the club. The reason Ajax are so successful at developing their own players is they play their young talent.

I think there will be some money to spend but mostly from player departures. I agree with Ossie Wembley that a rebuilding processes is coming and again it will take time to bring it all together.

A long way to get to my point. Can Poch win trophies for us? Yes, only if he is in it for the long haul but it will take a long time in my view and maybe even his own. 5-10 years his estimate. Was he being truthful or trying to get a rise from the team? I hope the latter but believe he is telling the truth.

Will he be around in 5-10 years? I severely doubt it.

I am 45 so have been through it with this team of ours like many of you. I love where we are. And I have seen us at our best and most consistent under Pochettino. Things like beating Chelsea away last season seemed improbable to me before he arrived. I hope he stays and sees this project through. His target was Champions League for the new stadium. Hopefully we can achieve that again this season but with that target met it's time to set a new one of winning trophies and for that he'll need a board that will back him. I hope he gets it but have strong doubts he will sadly.

Can he win trophies? Yes, but only with support of his club and patience from us.

Until Levy starts to truly back Poch with money to spend I'm not sure why some of youse are so self-entitled as to be demanding trophies or claiming that we can do better than Poch.

We're not the richest club in our city let alone the country and players go where they can earn the most money. Poch is always having to unearth and develop gems. Winks, Foyth, Skipp are three recent examples but before them it was Dele, Dier and Kane.

Other clubs buy the hottest prospects on the block or ready-made world-class superstarts. We currently can do neither.

People should be careful what they wish for. Poch may leave this summer and if he does it will mean the end of this current side and there will be yet another rebuilding process for us to go through.

IF Poch stays then of course trophies will come. We just need a bit more patience.

As much as I love Poch, I don’t believe for one second there is no other manager that could have won something by now with this squad.

I still voted yes and still believe in him all the way. But if you don’t give a shit about the domestics, you’re chances of silverware are cut by 50% and the competitions left go up ten times in difficulty.

It’s basic logic. Even Pep values the Carabou and FA Cup. You reckon he couldn’t win a trophy with our squad and budget? Pure denial.
It didn’t seem like the city mercenaries were disappointed with the win. Mass celebrations for putting another trophy in the cabinet. I can’t imagine it would do our players any harm to sample that feeling. Winning a carabao cup won’t keep our star players if they want to leave for bigger and better things...but winning nothing isn’t any more likely to keep them here.
Poch’s Job is clear. Top 4 first and foremost on what he has to work with. He is doing a great job of that. But I make you right that the squad is perfectly capable of winning the lottery that is a cup final and we only need look at the unbridled joy that city players had when lifting the least significant domestic trophy before dismissing those competitions as small fry.

Back
Top Bottom