Will we win trophies with Pochettino? (Read thread before voting)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will we win trophies with Poch as our manager!

• Yes

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
Can't see him winning anything as long as levy is around.
But he's the best manager we can have who is willing to tolerate our miser of a chairman.

I am surprised so many people believe we will win trophies under Poch, and that isn't because he is a very good manager. My belief is because whilst Poch is around so is Levy. Levy's only interest is money, and the focus will always be qualifying for CL. We don't have a squad good enough to rotate in order we can win domestic trophies, and we certainly have a good enough squad to win the league or CL. My vote is based on Levy being around a lot longer than Poch, which I suspect won't be that long.

OK, granted inget what you're saying but here's the question I'd like to pose to you. You're given £200m, who do you sign that gives us a squad strong enough to win either the Champions League of Premier League? I only highlight those 2 competitions seeing as we clearly prioritise them at e expense of any domestic glory at present.

You're the gaffer,myoure given £200m, what realistic changes can we make? Liverpool have spent nearly a quarter of a billion on incomings since January 2018 and still look like they'll come up short on both fronts. The Man City investment is a complete game changer for the league, its dethroned the 3 teams that have won 98% of Premier League titles and will continue to do so. I think all this trophy talk will soon fade when other teams silverware starts drying up fairly significantly. A fortuitous domestic cup win is as close as we can hope for during this transitional period for the club, purely because the competition for top 4 is so intense that it would be reckless to take our eyes off of that being the most important prize. Domestic cups are a pleasant distraction from the intensity of the league, the bragging rights they used to come with is pretty much dead these days & purely used to rile oppositions fans. It's a shame but with a David vs Goliath challenge ahead balancing books whilst staying competitive as the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Everton & even West Ham have more money to spend in the transfer market, staying in the top 4 places over the next few seasons would truly be a remarkable feat.

Trophies would be nice, top 4 is far, far better

I think people care too much about what others think about TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR. We are being put under pointless pressure for no reason. Will it be good if we win a trophy? Absolutely. Is it worth sacrificing the financial stability (which at the moment is Top 4) of this club just for a League Cup or an FA Cup? No. We are doing things the right way, and that takes time. I don't like when we lose key games and I fucking hate Levy when he doesn't spend money on obvious weaknesses (CM has been a problem for 3 years now), but when I look at the bigger picture I can see why he does it. The only problem is, can he convince Poch to stay for more years at this club? If he does, then what we are building is special, and it will have way more value than what Citeh or P$G built.

OK, granted inget what you're saying but here's the question I'd like to pose to you. You're given £200m, who do you sign that gives us a squad strong enough to win either the Champions League of Premier League? I only highlight those 2 competitions seeing as we clearly prioritise them at e expense of any domestic glory at present.

You're the gaffer,myoure given £200m, what realistic changes can we make? Liverpool have spent nearly a quarter of a billion on incomings since January 2018 and still look like they'll come up short on both fronts. The Man City investment is a complete game changer for the league, its dethroned the 3 teams that have won 98% of Premier League titles and will continue to do so. I think all this trophy talk will soon fade when other teams silverware starts drying up fairly significantly. A fortuitous domestic cup win is as close as we can hope for during this transitional period for the club, purely because the competition for top 4 is so intense that it would be reckless to take our eyes off of that being the most important prize. Domestic cups are a pleasant distraction from the intensity of the league, the bragging rights they used to come with is pretty much dead these days & purely used to rile oppositions fans. It's a shame but with a David vs Goliath challenge ahead balancing books whilst staying competitive as the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Everton & even West Ham have more money to spend in the transfer market, staying in the top 4 places over the next few seasons would truly be a remarkable feat.

Trophies would be nice, top 4 is far, far better
They would but as said football is about money, money is about football we’ve two options
Do what we’re doing sensibly with money that’s how owners work fund a state of the art stadium bring through our own talent or buy up and coming talent make a few sheckles in the process all with a manager that can see the bigger picture...or go hell for leather win a feckless tin pot get a open top bus tour around north London and end up like fecking Everton.......fuck that.

That is loser talk. I hope we win something instead of being very good losers.

The next 3-5 years our focus is n continuing what we are doing to the best of our ability I feel. We've got a £1bn debt that needs paying but the good thing is once it's done it's done.

I'd love to see us go out and win the FA Cup or the Carabao Cup ur believe you me competing in the Champions League is doing far more for our finances, revenue and brand globally than any Cup win Vs Leicester ever did.

The good news is as we've only forked out c£23m or so in what will be a year and a half of transfer dealings is that we've safeguarded cash flow and any transfer kitty that we would have had. Our stinginess in the market will make any team we are negotiating with to buy a player realise that they can't treat us like a normal Premier League team. Personally I really wouldn't be surprised to see late activity once again in the market so we fend off any rival bids or late interest drummed up by agents etc. We are newbies as big players in the game, the club needs time to mature into this cemented mindset and that can't come with just throwing money around that we haven't got.

Most of my life the season is finished for us at this stage, apart from an occasional relegation fight or glimmer of hope we quality for the Europa League. We've only qualified for the Champions League 4 times in nearly 60 years. 3 of those years have been the last 3. The club has huge potential but the fans simply need to be patient. It's not just trying to grow it's onfield success but it's brand, fan base which is hugely lacking compared to our domestic rivals, its finances in order to compete etc etc.

Sorry but give me £100m via qualifying for the Champions League than a £6m well done for winning the FA Cup. The top 4 is the only way we stay competitive off the field & at the moment money is the lifeblood of the club, not trophies. That I hope can change in time but reality is what it is and the club requires its wedge

They would but as said football is about money, money is about football we’ve two options
Do what we’re doing sensibly with money that’s how owners work fund a state of the art stadium bring through our own talent or buy up and coming talent make a few sheckles in the process all with a manager that can see the bigger picture...or go hell for leather win a feckless tin pot get a open top bus tour around north London and end up like fecking Everton.......fuck that.
Did manutd have a better team than ours when they won the europa league and the other cup?

Id rather have 1 season like that and one mediocre one , instead of coming 3rd for the next 10 years and winning fuck all.

Yep agreed.

To not strengthen your squad for over 400 days, when it was not the very best anyway, and to compound it with selling players (albeit understandable in Dembele's case) and not replace them is frankly an act of treachery.

Our anger such as it is should not really towards the players, who give their all but towards Pochettino and Levy.

Who else did we sell and not replace?

We will win a trophy one day, we have the players to do so and we are a big club with new stadium.
The more you talk about it, the more the manager entertain the media about it the longer we will wait.
So stop talking about it and will happen sooner than you expect.
CL 2019.

Did manutd have a better team than ours when they won the europa league and the other cup?

Id rather have 1 season like that and one mediocre one , instead of coming 3rd for the next 10 years and winning fuck all.
Ten seasons of champions league football or one day at Wembley winning one cup? Sorry not for me!

Ten seasons of champions league football or one day at Wembley winning one cup? Sorry not for me!

Man, that's the worst part of the domestic cups from here on in... Who the fuck ever wants to go back to Wembley ever again????

Man, that's the worst part of the domestic cups from here on in... Who the fuck ever wants to go back to Wembley ever again????
But if we go back to that toilet after this season we are they’re for a cup semi or final.....
bLPS9pi.jpg

thank you mr Pochettino you are the messiah.....

United got lucky that in that season the competition was shit. I mean, Celta Vigo in semis? Really? Have fun trying to win the Europa now with Napoli, Inter and Sevilla around...

United got lucky that in that season the competition was shit. I mean, Celta Vigo in semis? Really? Have fun trying to win the Europa now with Napoli, Inter and Sevilla around...

Also, if winning the Europa League is seen as better than qualifying for the Champions League in the eyes of teams across Europe, managers, players and chairman alike, why do we not see teams going all out to finish 3rd in their Champions League groups rather than being long shot outsiders for the Champions League?

Teams like Napoli, Porto, Roma, Borussia Dortmund, Lyon etc all seem to value 2nd place and outsiders for the premier tournament over being made favourites in the lesser competition. Funny that, I thought it was only Spurs that seemingly lacked ambition

Back
Top Bottom