Will we win trophies with Pochettino? (Read thread before voting)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will we win trophies with Poch as our manager!

• Yes

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
This isn’t a knee jerk thread, I want to make that completely clear, I do not want Poch to leave this football club (at least not in the near future anyway) but this is something that has been playing on my mind now since the end of last season.

The question is simple, whilst Poch is in charge of this football club, do you think we will win a trophy?

This isn’t a debate about if he is good enough to win a trophy, I am simply asking the question, do you believe we will win a trophy whilst he is our manager?

If yes, then why do you believe so? And what do you think needs to happen in order for him to do so?

If no, why do you believe so? And what is the solution for us long term to win a trophy if Pochettino cannot accomplish it?

I am genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion on this because we are now many years into the project and I am curious to know what people think the next step is for us and how we are going to achieve it.

Before I stop writing I will give my opinion so you all know where I stand.

I think Poch has certain weaknesses as a manager but I don’t think those weaknesses would stop him winning a trophy with us, I think he is constantly trying to learn but needs improvements in some areas (game management, tactical flexibility and more mind games with officials and media) I don’t ever see him being a serial winner with us but I certainly do see us winning a trophy under his management.

The hard truth imo is that, he needs new players in order to do so, I think he has taken this group of players as far as he possibly can as a manager and unless we get a massive slice of luck and win the CL I think in order for him to win a trophy with us, he will need fresh legs and better quality in certain positions.

That’s my opinion, basically, he needs backing this summer and the squad needs a lot of improvement, the key players I would keep here are...

1. Kane
2. Son
3. Vertonghen
4. Toby
5. Sanchez
6. Rose
7. Eriksen
8. Alli
9. Dier
10. Winks
11. Lloris

The rest, as far as I am concerned, are replaceable and could be improved.

So, what’s everyone else’s opinion?

Who knows?

I've enjoyed his reign and will continue to do so. In my life time it's the most stable I've seen a Spurs side. It's the most consistent I've seen a Spurs side. It's the best football I've seen played by a Spurs side. We've seen glorier nights than I've ever seen before with the club playing the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus. He's made me to dare to believe when it comes to winning the title and he's on average got to a semi final every single season he's been with us.

I'm enjoying the ride. If we get a trophy out of it? Even better. I won't be crying at the end of every season that we don't nor would I be taking the piss out of him and the club by throwing out sarcastic comments about winning a trophy whenever we do achieve something or break a club record.

In Poch I trust.

Who knows?

I've enjoyed his reign and will continue to do so. In my life time it's the most stable I've seen a Spurs side. It's the most consistent I've seen a Spurs side. It's the best football I've seen played by a Spurs side. We've seen glorier nights than I've ever seen before with the club playing the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus. He's made me to dare to believe when it comes to winning the title and he's on average got to a semi final every single season he's been with us.

I'm enjoying the ride. If we get a trophy out of it? Even better. I won't be crying at the end of every season that we don't nor would I be taking the piss out of him and the club by throwing out sarcastic comments about winning a trophy whenever we do achieve something or break a club record.

In Poch I trust.

Fair play mate and well said.

Had Kane and Dele not getting injured we could have won a trophy this season. At the moment there are too many uncertainties re the Manager and key players to know what our chances are next season or even further her ahead. I do not believe there is anything about Poch that rules him out of winning.

This isn’t a knee jerk thread, I want to make that completely clear, I do not want Poch to leave this football club (at least not in the near future anyway) but this is something that has been playing on my mind now since the end of last season.

The question is simple, whilst Poch is in charge of this football club, do you think we will win a trophy?

This isn’t a debate about if he is good enough to win a trophy, I am simply asking the question, do you believe we will win a trophy whilst he is our manager?

If yes, then why do you believe so? And what do you think needs to happen in order for him to do so?

If no, why do you believe so? And what is the solution for us long term to win a trophy if Pochettino cannot accomplish it?

I am genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion on this because we are now many years into the project and I am curious to know what people think the next step is for us and how we are going to achieve it.

Before I stop writing I will give my opinion so you all know where I stand.

I think Poch has certain weaknesses as a manager but I don’t think those weaknesses would stop him winning a trophy with us, I think he is constantly trying to learn but needs improvements in some areas (game management, tactical flexibility and more mind games with officials and media) I don’t ever see him being a serial winner with us but I certainly do see us winning a trophy under his management.

The hard truth imo is that, he needs new players in order to do so, I think he has taken this group of players as far as he possibly can as a manager and unless we get a massive slice of luck and win the CL I think in order for him to win a trophy with us, he will need fresh legs and better quality in certain positions.

That’s my opinion, basically, he needs backing this summer and the squad needs a lot of improvement, the key players I would keep here are...

1. Kane
2. Son
3. Vertonghen
4. Toby
5. Sanchez
6. Rose
7. Eriksen
8. Alli
9. Dier
10. Winks
11. Lloris

The rest, as far as I am concerned, are replaceable and could be improved.

So, what’s everyone else’s opinion?

I'd add Foyth, Sissoko & Gazzaniga to your list as well. We could genuinely bring in fresh meat in volume this summer and barely see a change in the first XI if we are able to get one or two to commit. A few squad players genuinely nipping at the heels of the first XI as well as a CM to hit the ground running would freshen it up more than enough and keep our pursuit going

Yes is my unequivocal response

This is the best Spurs side I’ve seen since the Double side

We’re respected by all and feared by most

Patience is the key but I know it’s difficult and I’m as guilty as anyone and have been very frustrated with the last three results

Let’s get Tuesday over with and a decent draw in the next round and then regroup

Plenty has been said about our run in but I think we can certainly get something at Anfield and possibly the Etihad and we will qualify for next seasons CL

We can certainly win a trophy next season in our new stadium

We are still the best side in London despite the last three results!!

Because (I believe) he is a very good manager and coach and he has a very good team which hasn't reached it's peak yet.

Given time!

Love the sentiment and agree Poch is working wonders in the circumstances but taken as a whole I think the current side has already peaked. There are a number of younger players who may well step up but we are weaker in the FB positions on both wings, much weaker in CM.

Perhaps a cup within the next 3 years, can't see us win a major trophy anytime soon, but that's not what I expect anyway, top four and reaching the quarter finals of the CL means a very decent season for me, anything more than that is a bonus.

I'm in Totti's camp on this subject.
I have been lucky enough to see some great Cup wins and would like to experience them again. However, during those seasons, we were mostly inconsistent in the league. The last few seasons have probably been the most enjoyable and consistent, with a team spirit that has been garnered by Poch and his staff, which I don't think has been as evident in the past. This season, we have won 'ugly' a bit more than I would like, but when it has clicked - Chelsea in the league at home, Dortmund, second half away to Man U and Barcelona away - it has been a joy.
To win a cup, you do need a measure of luck, and we certainly have been short of that in the last few years. How many semi finals??

That’s a really good question, and a very hard one to answer...I couldn’t honestly answer it, so i abstained from voting.
I suppose any manager at any premier league club can win a trophy in any random season, so it really is a very broad spectrum of unknowns and variables, including how long Pochettino remains as our manager obviously being the most important factor of them all....
I’m gonna best guess this and add some logic using the history of how we conduct our business etc etc, so im gonna say Pochettino stays another season, we don’t spend that much this summer, you’d think at least one big name departs? So the conclusion would be no, sadly I don’t think he will win a trophy in his time here.

I love him but a resounding no

We won't win a trophy until we are mid table and prioritise an fa or league cup and I can't see us being mid table while he is manager

The question should really be “ will we win trophies while Lewis and Levy are at the helm ? “
We certainly have had the manager + squad to win a trophy, for example the FA Cup was more or less there for the taking in 2017/2018, but we had some bad luck and eventually collapsed after going 1-0 up against United in the semi-final, that's not Levy's fault.

I love him but a resounding no

We won't win a trophy until we are mid table and prioritise an fa or league cup and I can't see us being mid table while he is manager

That makes no sense.

Every semi-final or final he has played his/our strongest team.

He should have guided us to a trophy by now, given the talent of the various squads on the one hand and the good opportunities we have had on another.

Our league finishes in the last 5 years tell you how good our squads have been so it's a strange one.

We are not entitled to any trophy or championship, especially when you consider the kind of investment made by clubs around us, and as long as we keep competing at the highest levels, I’m glad we have Poch as our manager. He’s not without his weaknesses and we have to vent occasionally, but he truly is a class act.

Back
Top Bottom