Will we win trophies with Pochettino? (Read thread before voting)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will we win trophies with Poch as our manager!

• Yes

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
No unless we start investing poperly in the team and also bring in some proven winners

It's not proven winners but a proven winner.

One player can be the difference if they are good enough. And also good enough to drag others around them.

Had we had Bale in the last 5 years for example or Modric, my grief, we would have 2 or 3 trophies. I am so sure of that.

It's not proven winners but a proven winner.

One player can be the difference if they are good enough. And also good enough to drag others around them.

Had we had Bale in the last 5 years for example or Modric, my grief, we would have 2 or 3 trophies. I am so sure of that.
Your right but there is not the will to spend a large amount on 1 player and pay them a wage to satisfy them.

We certainly have had the manager + squad to win a trophy, for example the FA Cup was more or less there for the taking in 2017/2018, but we had some bad luck and eventually collapsed after going 1-0 up against United in the semi-final, that's not Levy's fault.

It’s pretty apparent that the stadium project is way over budget not to mention the total screw up on opening date and no news of any naming rights sponsor. Last season our need to strengthen was not as great as it has been this season especially in midfield yet 2 windows and not one signing. There is obviously a connection between the 2 issues , no money available for new signings and Lewis I assume has refused to inject more funds to create a budget. We were so desperate for money that we sold a Dembele for a pittance when he could have played a role for the rest of the season and of course no replacement for him and a diminished Wanyama. Now we are sucked into the dog fight for top 4 because of that lack of investment not because anything Poch is doing wrong. He is working with inadequate manpower. So my question is will we ever win trophies under our current ownership?

No, but that’s nothing to do with our brilliant manager, but more to the fact that we have owners/Levy who harbour no real ambition to push the club forward to the next level. We don’t invest enough in the required quality needed to push us further and that’s the problem at Spurs.

No, but that’s nothing to do with our brilliant manager, but more to the fact that we have owners/Levy who harbour no real ambition to push the club forward to the next level. We don’t invest enough in the required quality needed to push us further and that’s the problem at Spurs.

They can only invest what they have. Our pockets are not as deep as some of the others. It’s sad, but it’s a fact.

Your right but there is not the will to spend a large amount on 1 player and pay them a wage to satisfy them.

Nope and I do understand that mate.

Look at Woolwich and even United. Ozil, Aubameyang and Sanchez. On absolutely disgusting sums. Immoral amounts in my mind, although good luck to them for securing such numbers. But what do they give?

Remember we got Modric, Bale and just under their level Alli for reasonable transfer fees.

It is not easy to find such players regardless and even harder for us but our scouting disappoints me as does the inability to have built on a superb nucleus.

They can only invest what they have. Our pockets are not as deep as some of the others. It’s sad, but it’s a fact.

There is no excuses mate not to make a single signing this season. There is no excuses to sell Dembele and not replace him. We have the money, but refuse to invest in the squad and it’s a shambles really.

if this poll was done in 2010, 2015 , the same people would have voted yes to a trophy in the next few years and sadly been wrong again and again.
Groundhog day of sorts.

I was saying much of this back in 2016 after the Palace Cup defeat - that something right with our strategy. That If we employ the same approach as the Redknapp era we will achieve the same outcome. The response was two bannings from forums, a load of suspensions on here, a torrent of abuse and accusations of being an Woolwich supporter. There is a complete absence of maturity or rationality on this. When it comes to Pochettinho it is bordering on being a cult.

It's possible but unlikely, because City will always spend vastly more than we ever could. City have already won the league cup. They will likely be in the FA Cup final. They will be in the last 8 of the CL. They are in first position in the league. To win a trophy we will have to be better than them, which is a huge challenge. It's a huge challenge for every single other team.

The first thing we need to do if we want to compete is sign a couple of players.

There is no excuses mate not to make a single signing this season. There is no excuses to sell Dembele and not replace him. We have the money, but refuse to invest in the squad and it’s a shambles really.

Yep agreed.

To not strengthen your squad for over 400 days, when it was not the very best anyway, and to compound it with selling players (albeit understandable in Dembele's case) and not replace them is frankly an act of treachery.

Our anger such as it is should not really towards the players, who give their all but towards Pochettino and Levy.

The Dembele saga is the one that grinds my gears the most.
Oh to have had the opportunity to start him, or bring him on in just some of the games we had left, at the stage we sold him. Dembele has the ability to control and dictate the midfield which we have missed since he went.
For the sake of grabbing some kind of transfer fee, I don’t think it was worth losing a key squad player half way through the season, with no intention of replacing him there and then.
A lot of the decisions the club have made in terms of frugality, I understand. The stadium is a huge commitment. But I genuinely don’t understand selling him when we did. £11m and 6 months worth of wages may well have turned out to be a great investment given where our season was at that time

Think we are becoming the new Woolwich just content to be top four as the extent of our ambition.

Last edited:
We last won one in 2008.

We have have always been a club that wins silverware each decade. ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and ‘00s

The break has come this decade despite having two of the clubs best ever sides. Why? Something is clearly amiss.

Because we don’t value the two competitions we should have been winning.
Not because Poch isn’t good enough. If we prioritised the FA Cup, we would win it.

I think we should have won a domestic cup by now, and disagree pretty strongly with the manager over it.
One minute he says they are not worth it, the next it will take a decade to win the stuff he values.
For me there needs to be an inbetween, because I don’t see how winning the Carabou jeopordises finishing top 4.

I also don’t believe he thinks it will take ten years to win the PL though, he clearly tries to every season.

I was saying much of this back in 2016 after the Palace Cup defeat - that something right with our strategy. That If we employ the same approach as the Redknapp era we will achieve the same outcome. The response was two bannings from forums, a load of suspensions on here, a torrent of abuse and accusations of being an Woolwich supporter. There is a complete absence of maturity or rationality on this. When it comes to Pochettinho it is bordering on being a cult.
You're welcome to your opinion and to justify it, but there's no need for the victim act. You get bans because you're relentless with it, and people get sick of you dominating threads. I'm not seeking an argument with you, just my view.

BTW there's no H in Pochettino.

As much as I love Poch, I don’t believe for one second there is no other manager that could have won something by now with this squad.

I still voted yes and still believe in him all the way. But if you don’t give a shit about the domestics, you’re chances of silverware are cut by 50% and the competitions left go up ten times in difficulty.

It’s basic logic. Even Pep values the Carabou and FA Cup. You reckon he couldn’t win a trophy with our squad and budget? Pure denial.

You're welcome to your opinion and to justify it, but there's no need for the victim act. You get bans because you're relentless with it, and people get sick of you dominating threads. I'm not seeking an argument with you, just my view.

BTW there's no H in Pochettino.

I don’t see myself as a victim - I feel sorry for those who lack the maturity to have a adult discussion, who willingly choose to ignore the obvious, who are blinded by emotion.

I dominate threads due to sheer volume of posters I have to respond to. I dare to question our manager and absolute mayhem ensues. That simply should be the case especially given the circumstances.

We are the custodians of the club, of it is history and tradition - it is our job to hold the clubs employees to account.

Last edited:
As much as I love Poch, I don’t believe for one second there is no other manager that could have won something by now with this squad.

I still voted yes and still believe in him all the way. But if you don’t give a shit about the domestics, you’re chances of silverware are cut by 50% and the competitions left go up ten times in difficulty.

It’s basic logic. Even Pep values the Carabou and FA Cup. You reckon he couldn’t win a trophy with our squad and budget? Pure denial.

Mate he has his faults I agree. I also agree that his attitude towards the cups are a worry at times, but the job he has done at Spurs with such a limited budget has been
Nothing short of outstanding. Give Pochettino even just a Liverpool budget and he would have us winning trophies I am sure of it. Time for the heirarchy to get serious and back the manager properly.

This isn’t a knee jerk thread, I want to make that completely clear, I do not want Poch to leave this football club (at least not in the near future anyway) but this is something that has been playing on my mind now since the end of last season.

The question is simple, whilst Poch is in charge of this football club, do you think we will win a trophy?

This isn’t a debate about if he is good enough to win a trophy, I am simply asking the question, do you believe we will win a trophy whilst he is our manager?

If yes, then why do you believe so? And what do you think needs to happen in order for him to do so?

If no, why do you believe so? And what is the solution for us long term to win a trophy if Pochettino cannot accomplish it?

I am genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion on this because we are now many years into the project and I am curious to know what people think the next step is for us and how we are going to achieve it.

Before I stop writing I will give my opinion so you all know where I stand.

I think Poch has certain weaknesses as a manager but I don’t think those weaknesses would stop him winning a trophy with us, I think he is constantly trying to learn but needs improvements in some areas (game management, tactical flexibility and more mind games with officials and media) I don’t ever see him being a serial winner with us but I certainly do see us winning a trophy under his management.

The hard truth imo is that, he needs new players in order to do so, I think he has taken this group of players as far as he possibly can as a manager and unless we get a massive slice of luck and win the CL I think in order for him to win a trophy with us, he will need fresh legs and better quality in certain positions.

That’s my opinion, basically, he needs backing this summer and the squad needs a lot of improvement, the key players I would keep here are...

1. Kane
2. Son
3. Vertonghen
4. Toby
5. Sanchez
6. Rose
7. Eriksen
8. Alli
9. Dier
10. Winks
11. Lloris

The rest, as far as I am concerned, are replaceable and could be improved.

So, what’s everyone else’s opinion?
You wouldn't keep Sissoko ?!

Back
Top Bottom