Chelscum v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 27.02.19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably because you choose not to. (some spectacular cherry-picking comparisons to support your argument)

Kepa or Gazzaniga?
Willian or Lucas (or anyone on our bench)
Barclay or Skipp

Their bench yesterday:
Arrizabalaga
Barkley
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen

Ours:
Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

Only Rose would make a 'best-of' bench (in my view).

Cahill, Zapacosta, Drinkwater weren't even in the squad.

Once again, squad depth and competition for places. Last summer, no signings etc etc.
Only a clueless buffoon would argue our bench was stronger - the apologists are becoming embarrassing, really

Probably because you choose not to. (some spectacular cherry-picking comparisons to support your argument)

Kepa or Gazzaniga?
Barclay or Skipp

Their bench yesterday:
Arrizabalaga
Barkley
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen

Ours:
Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

Once again, squad depth and competition for places. Last summer, no signings etc etc.

Easy to compare a fit squad to an injured one.
How does it look with Dier, Jan and Dele on our bench

Nice manipulation putting Kepa there like hes second choice, whenthe true question is Gazzaniga or Callebero
Skipp wasnt on our bench last night....why are you asking "Skipp or Barkley"

Last edited:

Kepa or Gazzaniga?
Barclay or Skipp

Their bench yesterday:
Arrizabalaga
Barkley
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen

Ours:
Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

Cherry picking?

I used the names you gave.

Lol.

With an even better squad. Look at who didn't start for them last night:

A £70m goalkeeper
Barkley
Drinkwater
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen
Zapacosta
Cahill

What did we have to offer?
Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Skipp
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

Literally copy and pasted the names from your post.

:levyeyes:

Nice manipulation putting Kepa there like hes second choice, whenthe true question is Gazzaniga or Callebero
This geeza is hilarious.

Just summarily dismissed the list of names HE GAVE as cherry-picking.

Amazing.

Are you suggesting our first 18 are better than Chelsea's 18 man for man?

First 18 man for man?
I said with a fully fit squad, our is better...Hazard pisses on Eriksen, but generally we are stronger
First 18 - all fit

Sorry, don't agree - their midfield, full backs and GK are superior

But all that is besides the point - we have enough quality to beat them as we proved in the 3:1. So what went wrong?

First 18 man for man?
I said with a fully fit squad, our is better...Hazard pisses on Eriksen, but generally we are stronger
Azpilicueta is not a world beater and a cunt, but certainly a better right-back than Tripper, Aurier or KWP, sadly.

Lloris;
Azpilicueta, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose;
Eriksen, Kanté, Dele;
Son, Kane, Hazard.

Last edited:
The thing is it wasn't a woeful performance as so many are bleating on about. There was nothing to separate the two teams, both cancelling each other out, both turning over the ball in a hectic midfield, both creating almost nothing (both hitting the word work once, almost the same amount of shots with them registering just 1 shot on target to our none). Their goal came from poor defending from Toby, there was NOTHING on for Pedro, no other Chelsea player was up with that attack, to let him turn inside him like that was so, so poor and then Lloris shouldn't be getting beaten from there.

Our performance wasn't great, as we created fuck all and conceded two terrible goals, the 2nd was beyond a fucking joke. BUT, by contrast, what did they create? Fuck all too!

The happy clapper in me still says we are still without Dele, Dier (whilst not the answer to our CM/DM issues in games like these he has the mentality required. We are obviously missing the control we had with fit Demele and/or Wanyama), Rose and Vertonghen and a below-par Kane (although he doesn't look too bad, seen him look worse coming back off injury).

Frustrated, wound-up, etc because it's them, get that, I'm am too hate these cunts with a passion but we were not outplayed by them but we also didn't outplay them. It wasn't a game great on the eye but tactically it was a stalemate with a fair amount going on with both managers tweaking and retweaking the shape of their teams throughout the game.

The Burnley game was the shitstorm, not this one.
Spot on, was always going to be a tough game and we matched them pretty well, I think if Rose starts we don't concede the Pedro goal but he can't play every game. I do wish Poch would learn not to partner up Davies with a slow(er) center back though, leaves us very open to a ball into the channel and unless Moussa gets back to cover (which he often does these days) we start looking a bit shaky at the back.

Last edited:
18 men...

Lloris is better than Kepa
Caballero and Gazzaniga are about the same
Azpilicueta is better than Trippier
Alderweireld is better than Luiz
Vertonghen is better than Rudiger
Sanchez is better than Christensen
Rose is better than Alonso
Winks is better than Jorginho
Kante is better than Sissoko
Kovacic and Dier are about the same
Loftus-Cheek is better than Wanyama
Hazard is better than Eriksen
Son is better than Pedro
Dele is better than Drinkwater
Willian is better than Lamela
Lucas is better than Hudson-Odoi
Kane is better than Higuain
Giroud is better than Llorente

Final score:

Tottenham Hotspur - 10
Racists - 6
Drawn - 2

BlushingUnacceptableLeech-small.gif

You're right.

I'd still take Caballero versus Gazzaniga. It balances up a bit more with Vertonghen, Dier and Dele which would probably push Lamela back to the bench. He wouldn't make the 'best-of' composite bench either.

No idea how Skipp crept in as he wasn't in the squad either. I was probably responding to an earlier post.

Doesn't change my view that their squad is stronger than ours.

Last night was expected for me. We're a club notorious for fading in the later stages of the season and when it matters. What are you guys expecting from this club? We haven't signed a single player in two windows and this is the result of that.

I love this club. Iv supported it since day one. But we have to face reality. The owners of this club simply arent interested in winning silverware. Full stop. Especially at the expense of profit margins. The goal will always be trying to reach top 4, purely for the money that comes with it. Anyone who isn't caught up in the "feelings" side of football can see this. Our strict wage structure. Lack of signings. Always making a profit every window. The stadium, a business move. buying young and up and coming players in the hopes to sell them for profit in the future. The goal will always be to qualify for the champions league whilst spending as little possible money doing so. Thats the owner ethos. They're in this game to make money.

Thats not to say we havent had great success. We play attractive, attacking football, we have some world class young players in the team. We play pretty football. But when it comes down to it, we will always fall short. Why? because the owners are reluctant to push on financially and back us for silverware at the right moments. They dont want to break the structure they have. If we had bought 2-3 quality players before this season started, we'd have run away with the league right now. That's my honest opinion. We never capitalized on the other top clubs rebuilding. We played it safe, to put it lightly, and didnt strengthen. And alas, here we are 2-3 months or so from the end of the season, and we're having the same old conversation about Tottenham Hotspur football club.

I expect Poch to leave in the summer. He's a quality manager that needs to win trophies. He's proven himself. He's the best manager in the world right now. He needs titles now. He isn't going to get that at Spurs because the owners wont back that final push. Poch's comments after Burnley were quite concerning, and I think thats his time here unfortunately.

18 men...

Lloris is better than Kepa
Caballero and Gazzaniga are about the same
Azpilicueta is better than Trippier
Alderweireld is better than Luiz
Vertonghen is better than Rudiger
Sanchez is better than Christensen
Rose is better than Alonso
Winks is better than Jorginho
Kante is better than Sissoko
Kovacic and Dier are about the same
Loftus-Cheek is better than Wanyama
Hazard is better than Eriksen
Son is better than Pedro
Dele is better than Drinkwater
Willian is better than Lamela
Lucas is better than Hudson-Odoi
Kane is better than Higuain
Giroud is better than Llorente

Final score:

Tottenham Hotspur - 10
Racists - 6
Drawn - 2

BlushingUnacceptableLeech-small.gif

This is not the point I'm making.

Our first XI when fully fit is a match (and probably better) than most of the top 6 first teams. Our squad isn't. I'm commenting on our SQUAD and its depth.

You win titles and cups with a squad. When things are not going well during a game, you turn to your bench. Look at the respective benches last night. We had a good idea that Dembele would go at the beginning of the season, but chose not to replace. Who would we replace him with? I don't know, that's the job of our scouting network. But you have to replace him

Our first XI when affected by suspensions, injuries or loss of form has to resort to a squad that is thinner than most of the other big 6. It also means that because the squad is so limited and there is little competition, you are forced to play those that should be dropped or if they are playing well, play almost every game.

You don't have to dig too deep before you're coming up with Sterling or N'Koudou or Skipp (as good a prospect as he is).

By the way you've still not answered "Last night who would you take, their bench or ours?"

Last edited:
A football match is 11 on 11.

Pre-substitutions, you're correct.

However as this rule ended in the 60s, it's no longer the case. It's the starting line-up and subs bench vs the others line up + subs. And yes I know it only 11 vs 11 at any one time.

So a game is won by the quality of the 11 + the subs bench.

A title or cup is won by the quality and depth of your squad.

Pre-substitutions, you're correct.

However as this rule ended in the 60s, it's no longer the case. It's the starting line-up and subs bench vs the others line up + subs. And yes I know it only 11 vs 11 at any one time.

So a game is won by the quality of the 11 + the subs bench.

A title or cup is won by the quality and depth of your squad.
Lucky I named 18 players then, init?

Back
Top Bottom