January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate,

It's been said that Llorente and Janssen are not good enough. It's also been said that it is difficult to expect a striker to want to play second fiddle to Kane.

So surely you look VERY VERY hard around Europe for a young striker to develop, who can add something and then another who is maybe 28/29 who won't want to play all the time but could? Not easy but we can kind of write the script on Kane.
So in your scenario we need to look for more players like Llorente and Jansenn then?

I'll say one thing, he looks good in 'our' Colours!!

On the other hand, he also looks like a rich man's Troy Deeney!
I completely agree with your second point here mate, for me personally I think we'd probably be better off trying to cope with what we have for the time being as opposed to signing Wilson.

Clearly Janssen's goal scoring record wasn't great during his debut season with us, however, he always seemed to be a hard-worker (with the potential of 'coming good').

Jesus has to be the best example of this. Brought in to challenge one of the top 3 strikers in the league, if not the best at the time. Worked his way through the system, and a steal at £27m. Youth is the key, because no top drawer experienced striker is content warming the bench.
The is what we were hoping with Jansen (back in the day Berahino), its difficult to get right.

The idea of a player like Arnautovic is growing on me...

Her definitely be more in the Son/Eriksen mould, but can definitely fit in as a versatile striker, able to play in a variety of positions... which is pretty much what Son/Dele/Eriksen have been asked to do for the past few seasons...

Versatility and clever interchange of attacking positions is key to the way Poch plays.

If China is only a bluff, and he clearly wants to leave West Ham... I'd say he was worth a punt...
and NOT just a panic move to stand in for Kane/Son... he could do a job alongside them until the end of the season (if only on loan) and who knows, into the next few seasons, if we decided to buy!
£50m on a 30 year old, wont happen.

Bowen would not be joining to play any games this season. The first time we would see him in our colours is pre-season.

You would assume that we're also working on some sort of cover for the next few months.

And Pochettino is to blame here.

Some real shortsightedness on display and the fans buy into it which is just as bad.

Now we leave ourselves exposed and at the mercy of any selling clubs who will know of our desperation.

Not the actions of a big club.
I just don't get why we make things so much harder for ourselves. But I guess it's all part of our character & charm.

Let’s just sign Josh Maja who’s contract expires at the end of the season with Sunderland. Can’t expect us to do much more with the Stadium and even if it doesn’t work we will make a profit so everyone wins.
last year 18 appearances in the championship and one goal, would get him in but don't expect anything from him and be pleasantly surprised if successful.

So in your scenario we need to look for more players like Llorente and Jansenn then?

28/29 as opposed to a somewhat more matured Llorente but yep. The same thought process with a Janssen type.

The key in all assessments is quality.

The lack of games suggests Pochettino favours Llorente once in a while and Janseen not at all.

I know it's not an easy fix but we are lacking cover and competence in a key area.

So lets try it again but get it right this time.

What would be hard to take is to get so close to success and to fall away again.

Surely Sissoko could do the job in Kane’s absence ? Multi functional squad at its best.

In other news, Breix is still a thing and “Lay Matures” keeps appearing at the bottom of my Fighting Cock pages.....I really must donate.

In other internet news, “it would be stupid to sign a striker...”

:pochfacepalm:
Except literally NOBODY has said that.

Anyway, what are you saying, that we need to spend 100s of millions, that we should be after Messi and Ronaldo, that we have to replace the entire squad? Weren't they they things you imagined people posting in the summer, remember? When you were still hard-core sign nobody?

giphy.gif

In other internet news, “it would be stupid to sign a striker...”

:pochfacepalm:
Jarrod Bowen is a winger/ forward, in the vein of Son, you know the guy who you said can't play as a striker even though he's been playing there all season. You're clamoring for us to sign players you've never seen play, you know that thing you were literally accusing other posters of doing 2 weeks ago. How embarrassing , the guy that spends 90% of his time on this forum calling out anyone who believed we've ever needed signings ,is now trying the same thing with posters who think we would be better off singing a cm ,rather than a cover striker.

How on earth would bringing in a quality stricker improve us in any way, we have the best stricker in the world,

Can't believe I have to argue the merit of Improving the first team before improving the bench

Yeah let's sign a striker for the rarest of occasions that kane and son are both out, forget the central midfield where we are down to our bare bones, let's spend all our cash on someone better than Llorente ,who is going to be happy that as soon as Son is back from his month away ,and Kane returns from his month away, that he will be sitting on the bench for the rest of his time here.

Been saying the same thing since yesterday, cm always been my priority, also would upgrade trippier before splashing out on a striker who isn't going to play

Except literally NOBODY has said that.

Yeah sounds like this guy thinks it would be very sensible to sign a striker doesn’t it

Back
Top Bottom