January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And Pochettino is to blame here.

Some real shortsightedness on display and the fans buy into it which is just as bad.

Now we leave ourselves exposed and at the mercy of any selling clubs who will know of our desperation.

Not the actions of a big club.

This is what I was talking about a few months back. The media, press and other fans were crying out for Spurs to go and spend £200m on players. I said that if we do that, we'd then be accused of losing the clubs identity, which is what this is saying.

The demand of winning matches now limits the chances youth players get. Some get lucky (Rashford) where they are just thrown in as the only option. Others work there way up (Dele, Dier, Kane).

Might actually be a good time to buy someone like Werner as I personally think eriksen will be off in the summer and Kane could move back to play behind the frontman.

And Pochettino is to blame here.
Some real shortsightedness on display and the fans buy into it which is just as bad.

Now we leave ourselves exposed and at the mercy of any selling clubs who will know of our desperation.

Not the actions of a big club.
I don't think WE the fans are "buying into" that at all... everyone can see the need for, (and wants) proper striker cover...

You really do sound like the fan of another club sometimes! (Not saying you are... but IF you were, this is what you'd sound like!)

Some deals can actually happen if we went all out (Which is not like us I know). Leipzig have already said they will sell Werner if he doesn't sign a new contract. We already know Fekir is available (providing he passes a medical). Despite what Bournemouth say...Wilson will be sold for the right price.

Do you think we have the money to buy any of those 3 though? Fekir would be awesome but he’d be even more expensive than Wilson, Werner the same? Unless his contract is running down? I’m not hugely clued up on their contract statuses to be fair

This is what I was talking about a few months back. The media, press and other fans were crying out for Spurs to go and spend £200m on players. I said that if we do that, we'd then be accused of losing the clubs identity, which is what this is saying.

The demand of winning matches now limits the chances youth players get. Some get lucky (Rashford) where they are just thrown in as the only option. Others work there way up (Dele, Dier, Kane).

Mate,

I understand the difficulties of being THFC.

Good enough to compete but not big enough maybe to win things.

We need to however recognise that the squad model relies too much on Kane's availability as a main point of attack.

It's been said that Llorente and Janssen are not good enough. It's also been said that it is difficult to expect a striker to want to play second fiddle to Kane.

So surely you look VERY VERY hard around Europe for a young striker to develop, who can add something and then another who is maybe 28/29 who won't want to play all the time but could? Not easy but we can kind of write the script on Kane.

So not talking with the benefit of hindsight because I would like to think posters on here know I have said we need to upgrade our strikers.

We are now in a pickle and losing an ageing but imperious Dembele is just as important but just about able to be managed but only if you get the other areas sorted.

What Pochettino and Levy do now is anyone's guess.

Mate,

We need to however recognise that the squad model relies too much on Kane's availability as a main point of attack.

It's been said that Llorente and Janssen are not good enough. It's also been said that it is difficult to expect a striker to want to play second fiddle to Kane.

So surely you look VERY VERY hard around Europe for a young striker to develop, who can add something and then another who is maybe 28/29 who won't want to play all the time but could? Not easy but we can kind of write the script on Kane.

So not talking with the benefit of hindsight because I would like to think posters on here know I have said we need to upgrade our strikers.

We are now in a pickle and losing an ageing but imperious Dembele is just as important but just about able to be managed but only if you get the other areas sorted.

What Pochettino and Levy do now is anyone's guess.

This will be the toughest run of Poch’s time at Spurs. If we fail to get top 4 or win a trophy then it’ll lay with him in Levy’s eyes. Levy needs to back him, but we don’t know what will happen there.

I hate to say it, but it could make or break us and Poch.

This will be the toughest run of Poch’s time at Spurs. If we fail to get top 4 or win a trophy then it’ll lay with him in Levy’s eyes. Levy needs to back him, but we don’t know what will happen there.

I hate to say it, but it could make or break us and Poch.

Yep correct. I agree entirely.

Of course many will cite bad luck. Dembele leaving, Kane and Sissoko's injuries and Son's absence but...

We knew Son was going. The same arguably with Dembele and of Kane I have made my point.

Big clubs do not rely solely on luck, they build contingencies. Risk management if you like.

We have no fallback for Kane other than hoping Llorente and a n other (likely Moura when fit) or Lamela can fill in until Son returns.

Our midfield needs a returning Dier to hit the ground running but where is the midfielder needed to cover Dembele's departure?

If fans saw a club who you were confident would scout for and then offer reasonable money for players then you and I would be reasonably content.

In the last 18 months (should we buy no one in the next 25 days) that would be 1 player bought.

If you are winning stuff that is fine.

Mate,

Jesus has to be the best example of this. Brought in to challenge one of the top 3 strikers in the league, if not the best at the time. Worked his way through the system, and a steal at £27m. Youth is the key, because no top drawer experienced striker is content warming the bench.

I believe more than ever we're moving to a multi-functional squad, a team of players that are capable of deputising in various roles as this provides the necessary cover whilst retaining the synergy. It's pretty clever but isn't something that happens over night. It does however mean if a player gets injured or sold it has less impact on the collective.

We have done fantastically well to date but due to various reasons we're looking a bit thin on the ground. If only we could move on the players that are surplus and replace them with versatile alternatives we would be in a cracking situation.

I'm sure Poch and the club want rid of a few players but for some reason we're not able to move them on, I don't know if this is due to the fee we're asking or potential clubs not willing to stump up the wages. It will be a common problem throughout most clubs but it's the nature of the beast.

You sign a player for a decent fee, increase their wages in the hope they succeed but not everyone does.

I've heard that Arnautovic bloke wants to win trophies.
The idea of a player like Arnautovic is growing on me...

Her definitely be more in the Son/Eriksen mould, but can definitely fit in as a versatile striker, able to play in a variety of positions... which is pretty much what Son/Dele/Eriksen have been asked to do for the past few seasons...

Versatility and clever interchange of attacking positions is key to the way Poch plays.

If China is only a bluff, and he clearly wants to leave West Ham... I'd say he was worth a punt...
and NOT just a panic move to stand in for Kane/Son... he could do a job alongside them until the end of the season (if only on loan) and who knows, into the next few seasons, if we decided to buy!

Let’s just sign Josh Maja who’s contract expires at the end of the season with Sunderland. Can’t expect us to do much more with the Stadium and even if it doesn’t work we will make a profit so everyone wins.

The idea of a player like Arnautovic is growing on me...

Her definitely be more in the Son/Eriksen mould, but can definitely fit in as a versatile striker, able to play in a variety of positions... which is pretty much what Son/Dele/Eriksen have been asked to do for the past few seasons...

Versatility and clever interchange of attacking positions is key to the way Poch plays.

If China is only a bluff, and he clearly wants to leave West Ham... I'd say he was worth a punt...
and NOT just a panic move to stand in for Kane/Son... he could do a job alongside them until the end of the season (if only on loan) and who knows, into the next few seasons, if we decided to buy!
Meh, you know what you're getting into if you sign a player with that kind of attitude. West Ham reaping the rewards of that right now.

Personally, the main reason I wouldn't want Arnautovic is that I see him as a fantastic direct alternative to Kane (i.e. would be great in our current predicament) but not one to play alongside him in that newly favoured diamond formation. Because of that, I'd wager he'd get too little playing time (by his own standards) and poison the dressing room.

Someone like Werner, on the other hand, is someone able to fill in for Kane when needed and play alongside him if the formation was right. Just imagine Werner running onto one of Kane's passes on the counter attack...

Honestly, I think we'd be wise to invest properly and do something similar to Woolwich - they brought in Lacazette then Aubameyang and it's noticeable that are able to play them together or play one or the other to avoid burnout/have a proper bench option.

Let’s just sign Josh Maja who’s contract expires at the end of the season with Sunderland. Can’t expect us to do much more with the Stadium and even if it doesn’t work we will make a profit so everyone wins.
Or perhaps give Sunderland some small yet reasonable fee to get it done right fucking now and avoid being usurped by other clubs while having an extra (albeit untrained by Poch standards) attacking option?

Can imagine one man who would take issue with that.
:levyeyes:

Then again, Lewis Holtby was a thing...

Or perhaps give Sunderland some small yet reasonable fee to get it done right fucking now and avoid being usurped by other clubs while having an extra (albeit untrained by Poch standards) attacking option?

Can imagine one man who would take issue with that.
:levyeyes:

Then again, Lewis Holtby was a thing...

Oh yeah I meant right now should have been clear, but given the contract situation they can’t even ask for much.

All of this chat, be it about strikers or midfielders, presupposes we have both the money available and the necessary derring-do to move swiftly and decisively.

We have neither.

Back
Top Bottom