January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yesterday in the Trippier thread I said he was shit and that I would play Aurier and KWP, I wasn't banging on about full backs, I've consistently said we need cm's. Son has played up front most of this season, he also has played there every other time Kane has been injured and has been quality. So now Son isn't a striker because he plays on the wing aswell lol okay this has run its course.

Son isn’t a striker....he’s an AM

Lol at the RB backtrack

Upgrading them how, by spending 60 million on Wilson? Yeah let's spend 60 million on a 3rd choice stricker rather than 60 million on a cm/dm. To me it makes 0 sense adding quality to areas you already have quality, before sorting out the areas you lack it.

Son isn’t a striker....he’s an AM

Lol at the RB backtrack
Been saying the same thing since yesterday, cm always been my priority, also would upgrade trippier before splashing out on a striker who isn't going to play, but I'm happy with Aurier and Kwp for the rest of season.

Son has played upfront majority of this season and has been banging in goals for fun, he has also filled in for Kane up front every other time he;s been out and scored bags of goals, he plays everywhere across the front line this is just a fact, don't know how you're arguing with that.

We need a striker.

Despite losing 1 game out of 14 in the league that Kane hasn't started and beating Guardiola's City and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge for the first time in 30 years.

...It is curious though because we sit between cusp of glory and disappointment once again.
That quote sums up the last few seasons for me, we're so close under Poch it's tangible - everyone can see it and I think that's why some get so worked up over the transfer policy etc.

We are where we are though; we're building one of the most amazing stadiums in the world (which cannot come soon enough) and regardless of what Levy has said in the past, it will surely have a direct impact on our transfer dealings in the short-term, especially given all of the delays/ issues.

The injury to Kane has come at a bad time with Son off - hopefully, the rest of the squad are able to step up because I can't see us getting any "sensible" business done in January; Poch won't sanction any panic buys or stop-gaps and there's no guarantee they'd integrate quickly enough to make a difference anyway.

I'm not trying to come across all high and mighty - I've had plenty of deadline-day meltdowns on here over the years, but as much as I'd love us to sign a CM & backup striker/ WF this window, I know better than to get my hopes up.

Been saying the same thing since yesterday, cm always been my priority, also would upgrade trippier before splashing out on a striker who isn't going to play, but I'm happy with Aurier and Kwp for the rest of season.

Son has played upfront majority of this season and has been banging in goals for fun, he has also filled in for Kane up front every other time he;s been out and scored bags of goals, he plays everywhere across the front line this is just a fact, don't know how you're arguing with that.

Son plays up front as an AM

Son has played up front his entire career. He’s an AM and that’s where they play.

We need a striker.

Despite losing 1 game out of 14 in the league that Kane hasn't started and beating Guardiola's City and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge for the first time in 30 years.

• Lloris
  • Trippier
  • D Sánchez
  • Vertonghen
  • Davies
  • Dier Substituted for Wanyama at 81'minutes
  • Dembélé
  • Lamela Substituted for Sissoko at 88'minutes
  • Alli
  • Eriksen
  • Son Heung-Min Substituted for Kane at 74' minutes

:avbshit:

Me neither.

Insert a name of another player.

I used to live in the fantasy that a January signing or two could come in and significantly change the fortune of a team. And yes it's been done and it's great to see.

But when wa the last time it happened in the PL and when was the the last time it happened at Spurs.
I thought Van Dike made a difference to Liverpool when he was bought in january.

Honestl
That quote sums up the last few seasons for me, we're so close under Poch it's tangible - everyone can see it and I think that's why some get so worked up over the transfer policy etc.

We are where we are though; we're building one of the most amazing stadiums in the world (which cannot come soon enough) and regardless of what Levy has said in the past, it will surely have a direct impact on our transfer dealings in the short-term, especially given all of the delays/ issues.

The injury to Kane has come at a bad time with Son off - hopefully, the rest of the squad are able to step up because I can't see us getting any "sensible" business done in January; Poch won't sanction any panic buys or stop-gaps and there's no guarantee they'd integrate quickly enough to make a difference anyway.

I'm not trying to come across all high and mighty - I've had plenty of deadline-day meltdowns on here over the years, but as much as I'd love us to sign a CM & backup striker/ WF this window, I know better than to get my hopes up.

Good post mate and I like your measured tone.

The club and that means Levy and Pochettino have to be careful of assumptions though.

No guarantees out there of course but if your fans view your lack of transfer business as taking your fan base for granted. If your current players sense that you lack ambition, then suddenly and from nowhere you can go from challenger to also ran.

We need not be in a position where we have no effective striker cover and only Dier, Winks and a promising 18 year old in central midfield.

We don't need defenders despeeately whatever the numpties go on about but in the 2 positions I mentioned and given the players who are injured or who are close to leaving, I think you need not be Nostradamus to know we needed to be better prepared.

He’s hardly likely to say “lads we’re fucked” is he?
:avbshit:

He doesn't have to say anything at all.

I'm willing to agree with him considering the facts are that we perform no different without either of them.

15 points from our next 5 games. The league is so wank outside the top 6 that we could probably do that without Alderweireld and Eriksen too.

I'm willing to agree with him considering the facts are that we perform no different without either of them.

15 points from our next 5 games. The league is so wank outside the top 6 that we could probably do that without Alderweireld and Eriksen too.

You used the Chelsea win as an example.

We had Kane on the bench that game and was able to bring him on....we had Son, we had Wanyama, and we had fit and in form Dembele and Dier.

Do you think that is slightly different now? Or those players make no difference after all?

Son plays up front as an AM

Son has played up front his entire career. He’s an AM and that’s where they play.
AM is the same as upfront now :sonhmm:
Son has been playing up front as an AM :sonhmm:
You've lost it
We've been playing 2 up top, Kane and son
Last year when Kane was injured, we were playing a 4-2-3-1 and in his absence son went up front and was quality

AM is the same as upfront now :sonhmm:
Son has been playing up front as an AM :sonhmm:
You've lost it
We've been playing 2 up top, Kane and son
Last year when Kane was injured, we were playing a 4-2-3-1 and in his absence son went up front and was quality

Yes, actually AMs play up front. Where do you think they play?
Up top isnt necesarily two strikers though...Son can be used as a striker. Havent denied that.

Ive said hes not one, and isnt used as one when Kane is on the pitch.

We are depleted all over the pitch though. And Lloris himself isn’t exactly in scintillating form.
We are without Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Son, Kane & isn’t Moura still recovering from a heavy knock?
I hope Lloris is right, but we are threadbare. An injury to either Eriksen or Alderweireld (as you mentioned them) and I think we’d be pretty much in the shit.

Back
Top Bottom