Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've been punching above our weight for the past four seasons. Maybe it's finally caught up with us?

I don't think it's that. Punching above your weight is what Leicester did in 15/16, we have been in the top 3 for three consecutive seasons. We have been exactly where we should be, good enough to challenge but not good enough to win big things.

We are just having to deal with a lot of stuff this year. Tired players after the WC, Son away at the Asia games, no signings, stadium delays, issues with Lloris, reintegrating Alderweireld, etc. It has been a complicated time for the club.

Hopefully with Son, Lamela and Wanyama back in the frame we can give some freshness to the team, that's the most obvious thing we need. When you see players like Dier and Eriksen playing like they have a blindfold on you have to change something. Kane is labouring (although his supply is non-existent) and we have seen that Sonny can play very well as a striker especially away from home. Davinson is a top CB and we can change to a back 3. Aurier is fresh. The options are there and if we want we can change 5 or 6 players.

If I have a criticism of Poch this season it's that he's fiddled too much from game to game, when you are struggling you need to return to what you know. The 442 midfield diamond is an interesting idea but we need to put that to one side for now and go back to either the 4231 or 343 that the players know. Lucas has been our best player this season but if this formation is causing Eriksen, Kane, Dier etc to play like cack then it has to change.

Last edited:
Whatever anyone's view of the window is, it's becoming clearer that it is only a part of the massive clusterfuck going on at the club. I was quite chill about the window, and I think that if that was the only problem, I'd be ok. But it's really not alright, is it?

All this talk of punching above our weight, "I'm just happy to be playing Barcelona in the European Cup"...

Plucky little Tottenham eh?

It makes us sound like fucking Burnley

Well there’s two sides to it, we’re either punching above our weight, which makes the slating of the club unfair.

Or we deserve to be where we are, which means people are slating a top 3 club.

The latter means that people expect better than 3rd.

Which makes you wonder why they expect to be champions if they think the squad is so thin, and our policy is to simply finish 4th and make money.

Maybe reign in the entitlement a bit...?

Well there’s two sides to it, we’re either punching above our weight, which makes the slating of the club unfair.

Or we deserve to be where we are, which means people are slating a top 3 club.

The latter means that people expect better than 3rd.

Which makes you wonder why they expect to be champions if they think the squad is so thin, and our policy is to simply finish 4th and make money.

Maybe reign in the entitlement a bit...?
I quite like where we're at. We're a good side, doing it the right way (as far as any PL club can) and we have a shot at winning a cup. If we indeed found ourselves ahead of the curve, regarding the "project", then maybe it's not surprising that the upward trajectory has stalled a little. To expect constant improvement considering our budget is a bit silly, even if not entitled.

I quite like where we're at. We're a good side, doing it the right way (as far as any PL club can) and we have a shot at winning a cup. If we indeed found ourselves ahead of the curve, regarding the "project", then maybe it's not surprising that the upward trajectory has stalled a little. To expect constant improvement considering our budget is a bit silly, even if not entitled.

Well three seasons ago, it was all about could we even make top 4.

Because we have surpassed our own targets in half the expected timeframe, we now have fans, and even the trust calling out the club over some percieved crisis.

Weak squad but exepect better than 3rd?

Or do people mean spend big to win the FA Cup?

Yes - if we played Llorente every game he would have scored 30 goals. Yet you wanna drop Kane after 2 poor games.

You’re not event a good troll
The problem with Llorente imo is partly his teammates.
As soon as he comes on we don't cross the ball as much, and it's bizarre because he's a giraffe built for heading the ball.

but yes tedious reading crap from Sammy.
He is legit trying to justify not making a signing as if we did the right thing, if that were true we wouldn't be the first to do it... but we were.

I just wanted a quality CM that’s all. Moura was always going to be a new signing of sorts
Yep. Were beaten by Liverpool's midfield which is inferior to City's.
City played us off the park twice last season yet we stood still. Doesn't make any sense.

BTW it was a Liverpool midfield that has now benched its captain (who plays ahead of Dier fwiw) and is now utilising a new purchase in Keita. Funny how in recent seasons I can't recall us being whalloped in midfield by Liverpool. Certainly not under Klopp. Weird how they have ambition to win silverware and identified weaknesses and spent to improve them. VVD btw had Kane in his back pocket

But I digress. I agree. I thought we needed a CM. Dier and Dembele has been the base of our midfield for a while now but Mousa is starting to have durability problems and we needed an additional option.

As soon as he comes on we don't cross the ball as much, and it's bizarre because he's a giraffe built for heading the ball.

but yes tedious reading crap from Sammy.
He is legit trying to justify not making a signing as if we did the right thing, if that were true we wouldn't be the first to do it... but we were.

Haha, we made a signing.
He´s called Llorente.
He has played about 4 games in a year.
You have just blamed his failings on bad tactics.
But you think the answer is signing someone else, not changing the bad tactics and playing to Llorentes strengths.

:pochfacepalm:

Here, I´ll save you the bother

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Enough there to cover my next few posts

Haha, we made a signing.
He´s called Llorente.
He has played about 4 games in a year.
You have just blamed his failings on bad tactics.
But you think the answer is signing someone else, not playing to Llorentes strengths.

:pochfacepalm:
This is your words in people's mouths rubbish again.
Fuck off with that crap Sammy, or better yet just fuck off.

I never stipulated we needed another CF. We don't.
We have a 30 goal + per season player who won't and shouldn't be benched just because he's started slowly.

Your stance on transfer policy this summer was wrong, no harm in admitting it.

This is your words in people's mouths rubbish again.
Fuck off with that crap Sammy, or better yet just fuck off.

I never stipulated we needed another CF. We don't.
We have a 30 goal + per season player who won't and shouldn't be benched just because he's started slowly.

Your stance on transfer policy this summer was wrong, no harm in admitting it.

Putting words into your mouth?
I dont remember saying you think we should sign a CF? I said sign someone else.

Your rage is ironic, seeing as you just put words in my mouth not the other way around.

Again, your argument falls flat, because you have blamed Llorentes failings on bad tactics, yet you dont think Kane should be rested, and our tactics improved so we can get the best out of Llorente?

Just struggle on til January and buy someone else.

Dont worry I´ll be in the bin soon.

Reason: Deluded cunt who thinks our squad is just fine and doesnt need improving.
And thinks our players are shit and he hates them and wants them all sold and replaced with better.

Take your pick

Last edited:
Yep. Were beaten by Liverpool's midfield which is inferior to City's.
City played us off the park twice last season yet we stood still. Doesn't make any sense.

BTW it was a Liverpool midfield that has now benched its captain (who plays ahead of Dier fwiw) and is now utilising a new purchase in Keita. Funny how in recent seasons I can't recall us being whalloped in midfield by Liverpool. Certainly not under Klopp. Weird how they have ambition to win silverware and identified weaknesses and spent to improve them. VVD btw had Kane in his back pocket

But I digress. I agree. I thought we needed a CM. Dier and Dembele has been the base of our midfield for a while now but Mousa is starting to have durability problems and we needed an additional option.
This clown said few months back we just need to promote youth and Sissoko can be Dembele's long term replacement.

If the success came sooner than expected, then so be it. It's better to take advantage than to say "wait I'm not ready for this"

Also didn't the club say the transfer funds were ringfenced - if I oversimplify the allocation it should go something like:
TV money -> playing and coaching staff salaries and recruitment
Prize money -> player bonuses
Ticket sales and Commercial -> Other running costs and overheads, stadium costs. What's left over should go back into the squad, especially since ENIC are not draining the cash out the way the Glazers do.

If the money was available, some of it should at least have gone on a new squad player even if we weren't gonna get a superstar.

Well three seasons ago, it was all about could we even make top 4.

Because we have surpassed our own targets in half the expected timeframe, we now have fans, and even the trust calling out the club over some percieved crisis.

Weak squad but exepect better than 3rd?

Or do people mean spend big to win the FA Cup?

All this talk of punching above our weight, "I'm just happy to be playing Barcelona in the European Cup"...

Plucky little Tottenham eh?

It makes us sound like fucking Burnley
Absolutely this.
It's like we never won a European trophy. Or had a rich European history.

If we were mid table, the same losers would say we should be thankful we aint fighting relegation.

If we were fighting relegation we should be thankful just to be in the Premier League.

What was the famous Bill Nic quote? Whats the club motto?

Absolutely this.
It's like we never won a European trophy. Or had a rich European history.

If we were mid table, the same losers would say we should be thankful we aint fighting relegation.

If we were fighting relegation we should be thankful just to be in the Premier League.

What was the famous Bill Nic quote? Whats the club motto?

You would have been calling for Bill Nics head by 1969, like a proper Wenger Out merchant

I was at Leicester away last season when he got a lovely cross low straight to him, to see him miss an open net from a couple of yards. He wasn’t even bothered.

Back
Top Bottom